Two questions - Vista Cruise, and throttle springs...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a couple places that sell the NEP. California Sport Touring carries them for about $17.
https://www.casporttouring.com

I had to trim off a tab on it with a dremel and drill a hole in it and put a screw in the bottom to fix it to the throttle assy but that was it. I forget if I got the CC2 or the CC3, I'll check tonight and try to post some photos.

I picked up a NEP and a new set of grips today. I hope to have time to put them on this evening.

anybody got an extra clip from their vista cruise install they can send me?

i broke mine, but think i can flatten one with heat from a torch and use it to secure the vista cruise...

dana

It seems to me there are several model numbers of the Vista Cruise. I had planned to buy Throttlemeisters, but as of a week and a half ago, they were not ready to sell them for '06s yet.
Huh :blink:

I put the Throttlemeister on my '06 a couple weeks ago and it works great.
I also went with a throttlemeister and was able to order one for the 06 without any issues. Not sure how much i like it yet, but going to give it a shot.

GreyGoose

It seems to me there are several model numbers of the Vista Cruise. I had planned to buy Throttlemeisters, but as of a week and a half ago, they were not ready to sell them for '06s yet. I've also decided that even though they don't look as cool, the Vista Cruise is not only a fraction of the price, but is much easier to use. Which one?
Installed my Vista Cruise yesterday. I did not have to drill into the bike, I used the long retainer that came with the VC & flattened it out & used it on the top bolt of the switch housing. Works great! I ordered mine from www.ridenow.com Part # 074044 , Price including shipping $30.06. I did have to trim the diameter of the grip about 1/8" all the way around, but buffed it down with the sandwheel, (Warchild's tip) almost looks factory.

Here's a link: https://www.ridenowonline.com/product_detai...68-3dbab14f73e9

Here are a few pics of the finished installation. https://www.cnqwst.net/doc/cnqwst-933_1.JPG

https://www.cnqwst.net/doc/cnqwst-933_2.JPG

https://www.cnqwst.net/doc/cnqwst-933_3.JPG

bob

Last edited by a moderator:
-thanks for the followup there, Fred...oh, and by the way you look great for a 99 year-old!... :p (may wanna edit your profile info...)

I can't believe more of you guys did not install the audiovox CCS-100 electronic cruise control. It works fantastically well just like a car cruise control. It is one of the first things I put on my '05. I have an ABS model and halfway through the installation, I realized the spot suggested for the vacuum canister is full of ABS hydraulics and controls. So I did a quick change and installed the vacuum and audiovox stuff under the seat - it just fits. I took out the wimpy plastic tool holder to make more room. I have more tools than will fit there anyway - they are in one of the side bags.

You really ought to consider the audiovox it is worth the effort.

It seems to me there are several model numbers of the Vista Cruise. I had planned to buy Throttlemeisters, but as of a week and a half ago, they were not ready to sell them for '06s yet.
Huh :blink:

I put the Throttlemeister on my '06 a couple weeks ago and it works great.
I also went with a throttlemeister and was able to order one for the 06 without any issues. Not sure how much i like it yet, but going to give it a shot.

GreyGoose
I'm just going by what the guy who answered the phone at Thottlemeister told me. That was less than two weeks ago. I figured if they weren't happy with it, I wasn't going to risk the hassles of buying it and possibly having to return it.

My luck hasn't changed much. I found out tonight I picked up the wrong NEP throttle lock.

:blink: I'm not really sure why there is the statement going around that the Throttlemeisters don't work on the '06's. I had them installed on my '05 and loved them. They really saved my wrist on numerous long trips getting to the twisty turnies.

So I ordered another pair for my '06 and had them installed by Tony and his crew @ Yamaha Sportscenter in Texarkana, TX.

I just got back from a two day ride with almost 900 miles on the bike after picking up the brand new '06 from Tony @ Yamaha Sportscenter yesterday and the Throttlemeisters worked flawlessly.

Anyhow that's my .02 for now.

:blink: I'm not really sure why there is the statement going around that the Throttlemeisters don't work on the '06's. I had them installed on my '05 and loved them. They really saved my wrist on numerous long trips getting to the twisty turnies.
So I ordered another pair for my '06 and had them installed by Tony and his crew @ Yamaha Sportscenter in Texarkana, TX.

I just got back from a two day ride with almost 900 miles on the bike after picking up the brand new '06 from Tony @ Yamaha Sportscenter yesterday and the Throttlemeisters worked flawlessly.

Anyhow that's my .02 for now.
Okay, let me explain this ONE MORE TIME. The reason for the statement that they don't work is because I called them less than two weeks ago to order a set, and they told me they were not happy with the way they were working on the '06's, so they were making some changes. I never said they DON"T WORK, I said that is what they told me.

I can't believe more of you guys did not install the audiovox CCS-100 electronic cruise control. It works fantastically well just like a car cruise control. It is one of the first things I put on my '05. I have an ABS model and halfway through the installation, I realized the spot suggested for the vacuum canister is full of ABS hydraulics and controls. So I did a quick change and installed the vacuum and audiovox stuff under the seat - it just fits. I took out the wimpy plastic tool holder to make more room. I have more tools than will fit there anyway - they are in one of the side bags.You really ought to consider the audiovox it is worth the effort.
I'll probably get one at some point, but I don't have the wrenching skills to install myself.

I did manage to install the VC, though. :D

Ok, here goes. Last time I posted this info, it was on EZboard a long time ago and a forum member who is here now also and shall remain anonymous beat me up pretty bad about it. But, since bigdolma :eek: doesn't seem to be around much anymore, maybe I can get away with it.

First of all, I briefly tried the NEP throttle lock. Hated it. What can I say, I am a VistaCruise kind of guy. No desire to even try a Throttlemeister when the VC works so well for me.

So, me being a simple creature by nature, and not liking to drill stuff figuring I will F*** it up, I installed a Vista-Cruise on my FJR the same way I did it on my old Concours.

Basically, I let it float.

Here's the Vista-Cruise that most people get. The one for "Yamaha single and dual throttle cable".

Vista-Cruise004.jpg

Well, the little "tab" (seen in the 7 o'clock position) on this model is not big enough for what I want it to do, so I get the Vista-Cruise "Fits most Hondas" model. Got it at California Sport Touring. CLICKY HERE

The Honda model of VC has a bigger "tab", as you can see here where it is mounted on my FJR:

Vista-Cruise005.jpg

here is another piccie of the two different models sorta side by side. See the difference in tabs?

Vista-Cruise006.jpg

So I just simply install this VC. Don't secure it in any way. Yes, it does rotate around the bar, or "floats". But see, that big tab that is sticking out will contact the throttle cable housing, keeping it from going anywhere when engaged properly.

The following two pics are showing the big tab resting against the metal throttle cable housing. When engaged the VC holds a steady throtttle since it now can't rotate.

Vista-Cruise008.jpg

Vista-Cruise009.jpg

Now to get the VC to engage properly is a slightly more tricky. But let me stress the slightly. Just before engaging, I need to push the big tab forward with my index finger so that it is against the throttle cable housing, then engage the throttlelock with my thumb.

In the following piccie, I am showing how I simply push the tab forward with my index finger:

Vista-Cruise010.jpg

And in this piccie, I am showing close to proper hand position while riding. Index finger is pushing tab against housing, and thumb is about to engage the throttle lock.

Vista-Cruise012.jpg

I know, sounds difficult. It's not. After a few hours in the saddle, this all becomes second nature. I don't even think about it anymore. No big deal. It's been working great for me for 66,000 miles on the FJR, and an additional 30,000 miles on a Concours.

I understand many won't like this install method. But it is an option for others who, like me, are too chicken to drill their throttle cable housing. Really, this is a simple and easy VC mounting method.

Good luck, YMMV, yada, yada, yada.........

Only one problem with that install, if you want to make slight adjustments by leaving the cruise on and adjusting the throttle back and forth, depending on hills, other traffic, etc. you can't do that without have the VC secured.

Only one problem with that install, if you want to make slight adjustments by leaving the cruise on and adjusting the throttle back and forth, depending on hills, other traffic, etc. you can't do that without have the VC secured.

True dat. But only for going faster. To adjust speed slightly slower, I simply rotate or close the throttle whatever amount desired, letting it *slip* within the engaged VC.

Now, for slight adjustments faster, I have to disengage it, adjust throttle, and re-engage it.

Takes all of about 2 seconds. :)

Not true...I've installed my VC exactly the same way as waterhead. You simply "lock" the VC against the throttle cable housing with your forefinger and rotate the throttle. The friction isn't so great that you can't turn the grip.

One thing hydrocephalous boy didn't mention was passing someone. Since the VC isn't locked in, you can rotate the throttle in the accel mode, pass a car or group of cars, and when you release the throttle, it returns to the same position it was before, since the VC rotates with the handgrip. Just like "resume". :)

It seems to me there are several model numbers of the Vista Cruise. I had planned to buy Throttlemeisters, but as of a week and a half ago, they were not ready to sell them for '06s yet. I've also decided that even though they don't look as cool, the Vista Cruise is not only a fraction of the price, but is much easier to use. Which one?
Installed my Vista Cruise yesterday. I did not have to drill into the bike, I used the long retainer that came with the VC & flattened it out & used it on the top bolt of the switch housing. Works great! I ordered mine from www.ridenow.com Part # 074044 , Price including shipping $30.06. I did have to trim the diameter of the grip about 1/8" all the way around, but buffed it down with the sandwheel, (Warchild's tip) almost looks factory.

Here's a link: https://www.ridenowonline.com/product_detai...68-3dbab14f73e9

Here are a few pics of the finished installation. https://www.cnqwst.net/doc/cnqwst-933_1.JPG

https://www.cnqwst.net/doc/cnqwst-933_2.JPG

https://www.cnqwst.net/doc/cnqwst-933_3.JPG

bob
Bump

[One thing hydrocephalous boy didn't mention was passing someone. Since the VC isn't locked in, you can rotate the throttle in the accel mode, pass a car or group of cars, and when you release the throttle, it returns to the same position it was before, since the VC rotates with the handgrip. Just like "resume". ]

RadioHowie, I LIKE that!