Two-Way Radios???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifrik

Reaction score
Has anyone used any of the cheaper two-way radios with another rider? Are there any good models out there to buy? And what about this thing they call E_Vox?

I bought two of the cheap Motorolas (around $70 or so) for EOM last year. Lorie drove to Boone while I rode the bike and we wanted to be able to talk. I bought the cord to run it through my AutoCom Active 7 (another friggin $40 or so) and used the radio set on "vox" (no push-to-talk, PTT) That part actually worked surprisingly well - no lenthy delay, etc. HOWEVER, the range was dismal even though they advertise 12 miles or so - under optimal conditions of course. I suspect optimal conditions involve the sender/receiver sitting on mountain peaks in perfect weather. I had the radio in my tank bag, no external antenna - if Lorie got more than roughly 200 meters behind me....comm out. Oh yeah, it's a FRS/GMSR (?) radio and we had it set to the higher output channels.

Here's my recommendation ---- if you really want reliable comm, you need to spend the $$$$ for a "decent" radio. If not you'll ride frustrated!

Good luck.

Oh yeah, it's a FRS/GMSR (?) radio and we had it set to the higher output channels.
Just to clarify, since there were question marks . . . the service is called GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and in the US tecchnically requires a license.

GSMR is a variant of the GSM cellular protocol intended for use by the rail industry.

I bought two of the cheap Motorolas (around $70 or so) for EOM last year. Lorie drove to Boone while I rode the bike and we wanted to be able to talk. I bought the cord to run it through my AutoCom Active 7 (another friggin $40 or so) and used the radio set on "vox" (no push-to-talk, PTT) That part actually worked surprisingly well - no lenthy delay, etc. HOWEVER, the range was dismal even though they advertise 12 miles or so - under optimal conditions of course. I suspect optimal conditions involve the sender/receiver sitting on mountain peaks in perfect weather. I had the radio in my tank bag, no external antenna - if Lorie got more than roughly 200 meters behind me....comm out. Oh yeah, it's a FRS/GMSR (?) radio and we had it set to the higher output channels.
Here's my recommendation ---- if you really want reliable comm, you need to spend the $$$$ for a "decent" radio. If not you'll ride frustrated!

Good luck.
A bunch of us in NorCal bought Kenwood TK3101 radios. We have experienced good comm at 5 miles range. Line of sight can reduce this, but I've been impressed. We keep them in the tank bag with the antenna sticking out (short whip antenna from a handheld)

16c9_1.JPG

https://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-TK-3101-walkie...1QQcmdZViewItem

Jeff at Bike Effects has a AC adapter for the radio so you can power it from your bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used the Motorola radios quite a bit for hunting and they have always worked well in that situation. As a rule of thumb, take the distance they advertise and cut it in half or third for real-world use.

I have one of my Motorola's hooked up to my Starcom system, but haven't had the chance to try it out on the road yet. Works well when I'm sitting in the driveway and my wife is in the backyard.

BTW, I just saw this over the weekend. This could be a good solution for someone that doesn't have a Starcom, Autocom or some such, and just wants two-way communications:

https://shop2.outpost.com/product/4916291?s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Cheap and quick, but you will need a Midland radio to go with it.

I have the Kenwood 3101 running thourgh an autocom pro v. One of my friends bought a cheap, ($9.00), radio and mounted it on his handlebars. He mounted earphones and a mike in his helmet. He uses the push to talk on the radio. I can hear him fine up to 2 miles in the clear. He can't understand what I say above 40 mph due to low speaker output and the wind noise. In town he can hear fine. He is going to try a boosteroo to get the sound up. He also uses a set of batteries a day. He's happy with it.

Phil

I've been following this with a lot of interest, with the FRS/GMRS radios, are there particualr channels that are used as a matter of common understanding and convention on the highway-

For example, the hwy channel used to be (and maybe still is) 19 if you had a CB.

I do most of my riding alone, so being able to use a common channel would be really useful.

I've been following this with a lot of interest, with the FRS/GMRS radios, are there particualr channels that are used as a matter of common understanding and convention on the highway-
For example, the hwy channel used to be (and maybe still is) 19 if you had a CB.

I do most of my riding alone, so being able to use a common channel would be really useful.
I did 7,200 miles across the U.S. into Canada and back during the summer. I was shocked at how little highway use the GMRS frequencies get. You will only pickup military families moving in two vehicle pairs and talking dirty to each other (although it is a bit entertaining to join the conversation), and survey crews. It seems that highway traffic is still predominantly CB.

I've been yearning for bike-to-bike comm on group rides for more than 18 months. When everyone has it, or even a few have it, it drastically changes the ride for the better. But the reality, IMHO, is that way too many people do NOT have bike-to-bike (at least East of the Miss.) and that for the most part, bike-to-bike is a waste of money. The exception would be if you have a regular riding buddy and you can work out your comm needs together.

FWIW, the sound quality on GMRS is immensely better than CB, even if the range tends to be less.

Check out the listing on Wikipedia for more information and for additional links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMRS

We tend to pick a channel where there isn't any other chatter. We know we'll be chatting back and forth or warning about something in the road, so we try to stay off frequencies where others are talking.

FUZZY BALLS....................................................

On the Motorola's with the longer antenna been doin' 'em for three years now.

:jester:

Has anyone used any of the cheaper two-way radios with another rider? Are there any good models out there to buy? And what about this thing they call E_Vox?

I've been using the Motorola Talkabout T5959 for the last 3 or so years and run it through my Autocomm (I bought the $40 wire to attach to it). They get about a 2-3 mile distance. I've been very pleased with the performance! I usually only talk to those I'm riding with and there not more than a mile or two behind me. VOX works great! The radio fits in the glove box with my cellphopne (I've wired the glovebox for both my cell and radio).

The T5950 is both FRS and GMRS

I use a set of Midland GXT400's and get very good range.

JimLor had no luck because it was mounted in the tank bag, I assume horizontally.

YOU CANNOT RUN THEM INSIDE A TANK BAG!

They need to be mounted as high up as possible with the antenna vertical if you plan on getting out more than 50 feet. I had a conversation with a guy at the Sport Touring.net meet who was on the other side of the mountain, approx 5 miles away. He was using the Chatterbox "brick" mounted to his helmet. We both heard each other loud and clear.

BTW....I'm running it with an Autocom Active 7 and using the PPT switch. Never a problem. Works perfect.

I've used both a Motorola GSM and a Cobra 38ST CB through my Autocom. They have their good points, and bad. The Motorola only works VOX which is fine if you get the VOX adjusted just right. A little off and either you can't activate it without screaming, or your riding partner hears your wind noise. Did I mention you BOTH have to get it adjusted just right? It works well in that it is powered through the Autocom without any interferance noise. Very clear, when it works. You get quite a bit of talk over, particularily when you pass large factories etc. that use the same channel you are on. I had it mounted vertically on top of the tank bag. The only way to get it mounted much higher would have been to put it on top my head. Usable range was line of sight only. Much farther than a 1/4 mile and it was garbled.

The CB with a 30" fiberglass antenna works much better for me. It has a range of a couple of miles. It is handy because you can listen and talk to the truckers etc. and have the emergency channel. You can also get the govt. weather channels. The PTT button eliminates the need for carefull adjustment of the VOX. The downside is that you can't power it off the bike without getting lots of static. It takes 4 AA batteries. With near constant use the batteries last a couple of days. (Those are 24 hour days. If you use it 8-10 hours a day they will last most of a week.) If you ride with different groups of people a CB gives you a wider platform.

I use the Kenwood TK-3101's with great success. They are mounted under the rear seat and get a good 2 miles, maybe more.

Before using these I tried a few disposables and found that they all transmit a static burst on key off that was really annoying so I stepped up to the TK's when I saw a set on ebay.

Install photos here: Visit My Website

ac001.jpg

I use the Kenwood TK-3101's with great success. They are mounted under the rear seat and get a good 2 miles, maybe more.
Before using these I tried a few disposables and found that they all transmit a static burst on key off that was really annoying so I stepped up to the TK's when I saw a set on ebay.

ac001.jpg
bro this is the best set up i have every seen.. i would love to have this set up...

here in singapore we dont have autocomm.. how much will that be ?? and by the way what kind of microphone u use.. any picture of it and care to share how much it cost..

ac001.jpg
bro this is the best set up i have every seen.. i would love to have this set up...

here in singapore we dont have autocomm.. how much will that be ?? and by the way what kind of microphone u use.. any picture of it and care to share how much it cost..
I need to change my link color on my website (always a work in progress) so that they are more obvious. Check this link to see the headset install: headset install with photos

Autocom Active plus with 1 headset costs about $300.

Here is my setup with the Kenwood and Starcom...(first generation large starcom that is)

Press to talk switch on the left grip/headset in the helmet

DSC09620aaa.jpg

FWIW, the sound quality on GMRS is immensely better than CB, even if the range tends to be less.
Yep, but in addition to "range" as a plus for CBs is that fact that Goldwings, Harley UltraClassics, and BMWs can have CBs installed as dealer intalled optional equipment. I ride with 3 friends who have Wings...all of them have dealer installed CBs so guess what, I use a CB with my Autocom.