U.S.C.G. Cape Disappointment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to read this board more often. Very nice report. Your son will enjoy Cape D as a duty station. The Coast Guard always needs more surfmen and women.

Nice report & photos! Good on your kid! Being an Oregonian, I know the weather can be gnarly thereabouts to say the least, but what a beautiful duty station when it's bluebird weather, eh?! Few US military installations are as pretty as that!

From personal experience, I can tell you there's nothing quite as adrenaline-pumping as being on the Columbia River Bar in a 25' Bayliner when the only way you can see sky is to look straight up!

I grew up learning to run our boat out of Hammond (on the Oregon side) going over the Bar. We had our share of puckers for sure. I remember being out there in the fog, too, the time when a ship ran in to the dredge Biddle. Oops.

Heard our share of calls for help on the radio too. Once we were able to get a line on another boat that had lost power and was drifting into Clatsop Spit (not good). We were only able to stay in place until the Coasties got there and got 'em out of trouble.

Go back on a stormy day, or on an ebb with a serious minus tide if you want to see some serious waves!

Anyway, nice pics. Astoria is a nice loop. Hy 202 to Astoria then back on Washington side on 401 and Hy 4. The small ferry at Cathlamet is a fun diversion too.