Unique Power Commander Setup?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it is true that if you call Dynojet about o2 sensors they will tell you their standard response without a lot of individual tailoring, that being to disconnect the o2 sensor - their responses are quite textbook.

Here's an update for you Skooter and anybody else who may be curious about this sort... I had to dig deep through the dynojet website for this quote in an FAQ section

My Power Commander came with O2 eliminators, should I use these and what are they?

On bikes that use an O2 sensor in the stock exhaust have a closed loop area that can not be adjusted by the Power Commander alone. If you make adjustments with the PCIII in the closed loop area the O2 sensor will sense these changes and the ECM will alter the fuel curve accordingly. If you want to have full fuel control over the entire RPM range of your bike then you will need to bypass the closed loop area which the O2 eliminators will accomplish. If you are looking for the best fuel economy and not worried about making changes to the closed loop area you can leave the stock O2 sensors connected and still make changes outside of the closed loop area with the Power Commander.

Did some reading on the R1 boards, as the use of the o2 sensor is debated there a bit... and while the general consensus of course is to just unplug it (and live with the 25-30mpg they get with most maps). However, some of them dug deep and got word from some dynojet tuners that say it's fine to leave the o2 sensor connected if your bike has no low-end drive-ability issues that need fixing, and that the EFI runs in open-loop mode above 5k rpms on their bikes even with the 02 sensor connected, leaving the PC3 to run as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was tuned with the o2 sensor in place. You should talk to Jeff at Motorsports, he can give you all the pros & cons. He's a wealth of information.

Last edited by a moderator: