Unsightly Welding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankw

Reaction score
First of all, I LOVE the bike. The best machine by far That I've ever owned. I own a 2003 and am the original owner.

This has never really bother me before until just this morning while out on the bike, someone commented to me about how ugly the welds were on the aluminum frame on each of the sides. :angry:

Just for my general knowledge, why is it that Yamaha does that type of welding on the aluminum frame when the rest of the bike looks so smooth?

Thanks Much

Aluminium welds actually become stronger then normal aluminium stock. However if you grind and polish down the welds the surrounding metal is weakened and is more prone ot failure.

I don't know about you but I'd rather ride a bike with "UGLY" welds then crash a bike that has "Pretty" welds!... :p

No one has said a word to me. If'n they don't like 'em, **** 'em. People get that pissy, I don't wanna talk to 'em anyways. ;)

I wonder why they can't cast the frame of the FJR the way they do the FZ6. I guess the Japanese aren't that picky when it comes to these things. Even though my FZ6 doesn't have the weld exposed on the frame the way the FJR does it has a really nasty looking weld on the stalk that supports the instrument cluster, it's really annoying to look at. Other than that I really love the bike, (save adjusting the fricken chain, hopefully that was just due to it being new.)

John

No one has said a word to me.  If'n they don't like 'em, **** 'em.  People get that pissy, I don't wanna talk to 'em anyways. ;)
+ 1

Same here Rad Only time I heard any talk like that the offending party was in a rusted out Ford pick up ..had a lota room to talk what with no bike an all. :unsure:

:jester:

You could always dress up the welds with a plastic cover that clips over the top of them to hide them. It seems to make the Wingsters much happier. :haha:

You could always dress up the welds with a plastic cover that clips over the top of them to hide them. It seems to make the Wingsters much happier.  :haha:
'Cept the fookers always fall off, usually about the same time as the lower fairing vents. Hey, if they don't like the FJR welds, walk 'em back to their Harley, wipe off the oil gunk in the frame joints and let them admire that artistry...

You must have all had Pauly....or worse....Mikey Teutul weld yours. Mine was welded by Vinnie and looks 100% better.

Vinnie.jpg

Nobody can see the welds when you're traveling in excess of...uhhh...errr...I mean "at highway speeds."

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I read this thread and had to go take a look at my bike. Never noticed the welds. Sort of like the looks of them. Each to his own. I have welded steal some over the years, and for me it is no easy trick. I have heard Aluminum is harder. My bikes welds look pretty smooth, what you can see of them under the paint.

LGizmo:

Welds in steel are usually as strong or stronger compared to the base material. That is not the case for aluminum. Most welds in aluminum are not as strong as the base material. This is because the the heat of welding acts as a localizing annealing operation which significantly weakens the heat affected zone of the weld.

'Unsightly' welds? Oh my goodness! Sounds like commentary from interior decorator Christopher Lowell! :haha:

-tell your friend they work a hell of a lot better than JB Weld or nuts & bolts!

I personally like the industrial look of welds; I'd have welded-up polished deck plate tables in my livingroom if I could get it by the wife!

Must have been a welder. Only welders notice crappy welds. Know from experience. Kinda like a barber noticing a bad hair cut. I use to tell people if you don't trust my welds, take it up 20,000 feet in an airplane and throw it out. If it breaks, I'll fix it. Nothing to worry about. :D PM. <><