UPDATE - DUE To impending severe weather the PNW Fall Tech Meet #17 - October 22nd

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving this to the 22nd sounds like prudent plan to me! My son is taking me to the Husky game on the 22nd but that's at 3:30. I should be able to be there for a few hours.

I don't need to do any work on my bike, but I'll be bringing what I need to demonstrate connecting to a 2016 via a WiFi OBDII scanner with my iPhone and/or laptop. I can demo my Bluetooth controlled Arboreal Neutrino Power Distribution Module too.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am quite happy with the postponement, and I'm still in. Greg, you can still bring a leaf blower.

Great decision. Unfortunately, like others, I have obligations the following two Saturdays so please take me off the list.

There are two impending storms headed for our region, the first beginning tonight and expected to end mid-Friday. This event was the primary focus of today’s webinar, however the second event expected to begin early Saturday morning and last through Sunday afternoon, is continually being monitored by our friends at the National Weather Service(NWS).

Current Outlook for the Seattle Area:

Storm #1- Expect a warm, heavy rain to begin this evening (Wednesday) and heavy wind to begin tomorrow (Thursday) late afternoon. This storm should clear by mid-Friday, offering a “calm before the [next] storm”

· Expect 1”-2” of rain in lowlands. Snow levels remain high at 7000+ ft.

· The strongest winds will be along the coast and NW interior at 30-40 mph winds with gusts to 60pmh

· The Puget Sound (and UW) region can expect winds 20-30 mph with gusts to 45-55pmh.

· The strongest winds are expected to occur between 10pm and midnight on Thursday 10/13

· Because leaves are still on trees, some power outages and urban flooding can be expected

· Water level in rivers will rise, but flooding is not anticipated

Storm #2- Potentially stronger storm to hit Saturday morning through Sunday evening. The National Weather Service made it clear that there is a fair amount of uncertainty at this time as to how severe this storm will be.

· Potentially stronger winds than storm #1

· Greatest impact area still considered to be the coast and NW interior

· The outlook of this storm will become more clear in the coming days

Makes the 22nd look a lot better.

There are two impending storms headed for our region, the first beginning tonight and expected to end mid-Friday. This event was the primary focus of today’s webinar, however the second event expected to begin early Saturday morning and last through Sunday afternoon, is continually being monitored by our friends at the National Weather Service(NWS).
Staged my generator in the garage today, fired it up to make sure it's in good operating shape, filled up the tank and refilled the 5 gallon gas can. I'm ready! :)

Great idea to postpone until next week Auburn. I'm on-call but should be able to make other arrangements for the day.

Like Adam, I pulled the generator out this afternoon and prepped the house for auxiliary power! Counting old gold, both bikes and gas cans, I've got about 35 gallons of fuel...just enough!

--G

Current Outlook for the Seattle Area:

Storm #1- Expect a warm, heavy rain to begin this evening (Wednesday) and heavy wind to begin tomorrow (Thursday) late afternoon. This storm should clear by mid-Friday, offering a “calm before the [next] storm”

· Expect 1”-2” of rain in lowlands. Snow levels remain high at 7000+ ft.

· The strongest winds will be along the coast and NW interior at 30-40 mph winds with gusts to 60pmh

· The Puget Sound (and UW) region can expect winds 20-30 mph with gusts to 45-55pmh.

· The strongest winds are expected to occur between 10pm and midnight on Thursday 10/13

· Because leaves are still on trees, some power outages and urban flooding can be expected

· Water level in rivers will rise, but flooding is not anticipated

Storm #2- Potentially stronger storm to hit Saturday morning through Sunday evening. The National Weather Service made it clear that there is a fair amount of uncertainty at this time as to how severe this storm will be.

· Potentially stronger winds than storm #1

· Greatest impact area still considered to be the coast and NW interior

· The outlook of this storm will become more clear in the coming days

Makes the 22nd look a lot better.

Storm #2 is still a typhoon out in the north pacific. The weather channel info on Typhoon Songda

more info from wikipedia. The typhoon is still a category 1 (>75 mph winds)

Typhoon Songda Songda 1 Satellite image

Forecast map Current storm status

Typhoon (JMA) Current storm status

Category 1 typhoon (1-min mean) As of: 00:00 UTC, October 13 Location:
17px-WMA_button2b.png
38.1°N 165.8°E Winds: 120 km/h (75 mph) sustained (10-min mean)

120 km/h (75 mph) sustained (1-min mean)

gusting to 175 km/h (110 mph) Pressure: 970 hPa (mbar; 28.65 inHg) Movement: ENE at 45 kn (83 km/h; 52 mph) See more detailed information.

Staged my generator in the garage today, fired it up to make sure it's in good operating shape, filled up the tank and refilled the 5 gallon gas can. I'm ready!
smile.png
Hmm... I should probably do the same. My generator hasn't been started in a while now.

I think you made a very prudent choice, Auburn. I'm should be good for the 22nd, but I don't know if SWMBAT has anything planned for me that weekend. I will confirm in the next couple of days whether or not I can make it.

You guys made me think I should fire the 3500 KW up as I hadn't ran it for a while. It does have fresh oil and sitting with a battery tender on the battery.

After the last years 5 day outage I decided to go bigger so now I have to finish build up of a power cord for the 7500 KW that I bought used after the last outage. I like my shower in the morning! :)

You guys made me think I should fire the 3500 KW up as I hadn't ran it for a while. It does have fresh oil and sitting with a battery tender on the battery.After the last years 5 day outage I decided to go bigger so now I have to finish build up of a power cord for the 7500 KW that I bought used after the last outage. I like my shower in the morning!
smile.png
7,500 KW?! You mean 7,500 Watt, (or 7.5 KW), right? ;)

We bought a 4,400 Watt generator after losing power for 3 days in the 2006 storm. We spent a fair amount of time at the mall during that one trying to stay warm. :(

The previous owner of our house conveniently put 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits in the garage which are on opposite phases. I can back-feed the house via a pair of "cheater" cables plugged into the 2 garage circuits. I can't run the stove or dryer but I can power up the furnace (gas) and refrigerator along with all the lighting we need. 40 amps of power turns out to be a nice match for the 4,400 Watt generator. Stove top is gas so that works too. Good times....

You guys made me think I should fire the 3500 KW up as I hadn't ran it for a while. It does have fresh oil and sitting with a battery tender on the battery.After the last years 5 day outage I decided to go bigger so now I have to finish build up of a power cord for the 7500 KW that I bought used after the last outage. I like my shower in the morning!
smile.png
7,500 KW?! You mean 7,500 Watt, (or 7.5 KW), right?
wink.png

We bought a 4,400 Watt generator after losing power for 3 days in the 2006 storm. We spent a fair amount of time at the mall during that one trying to stay warm.
sad.png

The previous owner of our house conveniently put 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits in the garage which are on opposite phases. I can back-feed the house via a pair of "cheater" cables plugged into the 2 garage circuits. I can't run the stove or dryer but I can power up the furnace (gas) and refrigerator along with all the lighting we need. 40 amps of power turns out to be a nice match for the 4,400 Watt generator. Stove top is gas so that works too. Good times....
Yep you are correct, I have the 3500 back feeding into the range and will do so with the 7500. Just need to up the plug and wire size.

I live in the woods and my power pole has the meter with a main going to the house and a 40 going to my little barn shops. I hang a work light there so I know when the power comes back on.

Got the Honda Generator out and fired it up this morning let it run for 15 to 10 minutes. Got home this evening and ran it again. Went grocery shopping and waiting on the wind. I'm ready if the power goes out.

I'm good with the Tech meet getting moved till next weekend. That lets me go to the snowmobile show in Puyallup on Saturday.

Went to the gas station (ethanol free in Issaquah) to fill up the spare gas cans and they were out of everything except premium & diesel - so the rush will be on.

Funny, Kevin, I have a 7.5k generator and I bought a smaller 2k Honda - I monitored our usage and it was rarely above 2k watts. The larger generator makes a ton of noise and slurps the gas - 10 gallons in 12 hours, where the Honda purrs like a kitten and sips fuel.

Now I just have to figure out how to wire it up to the panel....

Yea being all electric is a pain, the little electric start Honda 3500 does fine as it runs the Fridge and Freezer on the two different circuits and a small element on the stove for cooking something up and is just fine for a one day outage and will run twelve plus hours on a tank.

We had that five day outage last year and I hate sponge baths and last spring I ran across the 7500 for Four Hundred so one is good and two is better.

I keep all the cans full with the ethanol free plus the old F250 with the Premium ethanol free so have plenty of fuel on hand. I burn the cans down doing the yard maintenance by Christmas and will refill then.

Yep you are correct, I have the 3500 back feeding into the range and will do so with the 7500. Just need to up the plug and wire size.I live in the woods and my power pole has the meter with a main going to the house and a 40 going to my little barn shops. I hang a work light there so I know when the power comes back on.
I have kind of a strange breaker panel that's broken up into 2 sections. The upper part is hooked directly up to the service, no main breaker, and it feeds the 220 circuits in the house. It also has a 60 amp 220 breaker which feeds the lower half of the panel which are the 110 circuits. Since I can't disconnect the upper section from the service there is no way for me to safely back feed them without the risk of the service coming back on! When the power goes out I turn off the 60 amp breaker and back feed the lower half of the panel, the 110 circuits. When I see the clock on the over come on I know the power is back on.
smile.png

The house was built in 1980 so I guess panels like that were legal back then??

Edit: Just Googled it. Split panels were allowed up until the late 70's. Back then you could have up to 6 "main" breakers to shutoff all of your power. Current panels are required to have 1 main shutoff. Who knew??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm up for the next weekend date. My back tire starts to slowly leak air and it's time to change it anyway.

BTW, it was fun ride this morning. I kind of missed rain
fool.gif

Yep you are correct, I have the 3500 back feeding into the range and will do so with the 7500. Just need to up the plug and wire size.I live in the woods and my power pole has the meter with a main going to the house and a 40 going to my little barn shops. I hang a work light there so I know when the power comes back on.
I have kind of a strange breaker panel that's broken up into 2 sections. The upper part is hooked directly up to the service, no main breaker, and it feeds the 220 circuits in the house. It also has a 60 amp 220 breaker which feeds the lower half of the panel which are the 110 circuits. Since I can't disconnect the upper section from the service there is no way for me to safely back feed them without the risk of the service coming back on! When the power goes out I turn off the 60 amp breaker and back feed the lower half of the panel, the 110 circuits. When I see the clock on the over come on I know the power is back on.
smile.png

The house was built in 1980 so I guess panels like that were legal back then??

Edit: Just Googled it. Split panels were allowed up until the late 70's. Back then you could have up to 6 "main" breakers to shutoff all of your power. Current panels are required to have 1 main shutoff. Who knew??
Had one of those in the last house, PUD use to give me crap about pulling the meter when I didn't want to work things live. I thought it was a dumb idea having a panel like that.