Upgraded Clutch and Brake Levers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They fit the '13 and '14. If you don't believe us, PM Fairlaner. As said before, he moved his Pazzo levers from his GenII to his GenIII.

Here is a picture of my chinese knock off levers. Titanium colored shorties and still look like the day I bought em. They handled getting hawk meat splattered on them a few days ago.
Wait... HAWK MEAT??? WTF? you hit a hawk and that is what the result looked like?

Was it stuck in your front wheel or something? Looks like chopmeat...

Here is a picture of my chinese knock off levers. Titanium colored shorties and still look like the day I bought em. They handled getting hawk meat splattered on them a few days ago.
Wait... HAWK MEAT??? WTF? you hit a hawk and that is what the result looked like?

Was it stuck in your front wheel or something? Looks like chopmeat...
No, it hit my mirror then me. Only other possibility is that meat is from the dead deer it was feeding on in the ditch before it flew into my path and I hit it. That would have been a lot of well aimed vomit. There was a hole in the hawks chest, when I stopped to check it out, but am still baffled by the results.

They fit the '13 and '14. If you don't believe us, PM Fairlaner. As said before, he moved his Pazzo levers from his GenII to his GenIII.
We're talking about the knockoffs, not the Pazzo's.
Jeeze Steve...Are we not clear that the knockoffs fit the same as the Pazzos? How would ANY lever that fit the GenII not fit the GenIII if any of them do?

YOU CAN TAKE YOUR OEM GEN2 LEVERS OFF AND PUT THEM ON A GEN3. YOU CAN TAKE PAZZO LEVERS AND ROTATE THEM BETWEEN GEN2 AND GEN3. YOU CAN TAKE KNOCKOFF GEN2 LEVERS AND PUT THEM ON A GEN3. YOU CAN TAKE *** LEVERS OFF YOUR GEN2 AND PUT THEM ON A GEN3.

Are there any aftermarket levers that provide more mechanical leverage for the clutch side then the stock lever? I find the GENII clutch to be pretty stiff. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="richsp51" data-cid="1109994" data-time="1386013070"><p>

Are there any aftermarket levers that provide more mechanical leverage for the clutch side then the stock lever? I find the GENII clutch to be pretty stiff. Any suggestions would be appreciated.</p></blockquote>

Back in the day ( 2006 ) a common "fix" was to swap out the slave cylinder

with one from a Gen I.

The larger piston significantly reduced the effort at the lever.

Combined with a Pazzo-style lever and clutch actuation was easy-peasy.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="richsp51" data-cid="1109994" data-time="1386013070"><p>Are there any aftermarket levers that provide more mechanical leverage for the clutch side then the stock lever? I find the GENII clutch to be pretty stiff. Any suggestions would be appreciated.</p></blockquote>

with one from a Gen I.

Thanks SLK50, but as you yourself mentioned regarding swapping out the slave cylinder with one from a GEN I, unintended consequences resulted according to the following post (and ones it references):

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/155478-differences-between-gen-2-and-gen-1-25-clutch-assemblies/?hl=%2Bclutch+%2Bslave+%2Bcylinder

So, will just the Pazzos make a noticeable difference in clutch effort at the lever?

Thanks

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="richsp51" data-cid="1109994" data-time="1386013070"><p>Are there any aftermarket levers that provide more mechanical leverage for the clutch side then the stock lever? I find the GENII clutch to be pretty stiff. Any suggestions would be appreciated.</p></blockquote>

with one from a Gen I.

Thanks SLK50, but as you yourself mentioned regarding swapping out the slave cylinder with one from a GEN I, unintended consequences resulted according to the following post (and ones it references):

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/155478-differences-between-gen-2-and-gen-1-25-clutch-assemblies/?hl=%2Bclutch+%2Bslave+%2Bcylinder

So, will just the Pazzos make a noticeable difference in clutch effort at the lever?

Thanks
Depends on you. Individual experiences vary as to how noticeable the difference is. In my experience, I won't go back to stock levers.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="richsp51" data-cid="1109994" data-time="1386013070"><p>

Are there any aftermarket levers that provide more mechanical leverage for the clutch side then the stock lever? I find the GENII clutch to be pretty stiff. Any suggestions would be appreciated.</p></blockquote>

with one from a Gen I.

Thanks SLK50, but as you yourself mentioned regarding swapping out the slave cylinder with one from a GEN I, unintended consequences resulted according to the following post (and ones it references): https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/155478-differences-between-gen-2-and-gen-1-25-clutch-assemblies/?hl=+clutch++slave++cylinder

Thanks
The Pazzo (or knock off) levers do not alter the actual leverage, so it will not be measurably easier lever pull, but they will put your hand into a more comfortable position to exert force on the levers. That is how they work.

Here's an alternate solution to your problem.

GripStrengthener.jpg

Fred W said: "The Pazzo (or knock off) levers do not alter the actual leverage, so it will not be measurably easier lever pull, but they will put your hand into a more comfortable position to exert force on the levers. That is how they work. he Pazzo (or knock off) levers do not alter the actual leverage, so it will not be measurably easier lever pull, but they will put your hand into a more comfortable position to exert force on the levers. That is how they work. "

Thanks Fred, that's the information I was looking for.

I installed the knock offs and they work cool - BUT:

I also have the v-strom hand guards installed and the throttle side needed some more dremelization to provide clearance for the brake lever to fully retract. Without it the front brakes would be dragging all the time (until they failed, of course.)

The clutch side seemed to interfere with the clutch-released switch, so it got a light massage as well.

I installed the knock offs and they work cool - BUT:
I also have the v-strom hand guards installed and the throttle side needed some more dremelization to provide clearance for the brake lever to fully retract. Without it the front brakes would be dragging all the time (until they failed, of course.)

The clutch side seemed to interfere with the clutch-released switch, so it got a light massage as well.
Maybe an issue with how the Vstrom hand guards fit on the 2013? I have the knock-offs on my Gen 1 FJR and V-Strom hand guards, the handguards needed dremeling to fit the stock FJR levers, when I swapped to knock-off Pazzo's no additional fitting was needed, AFAIR.

Maybe an issue with how the Vstrom hand guards fit on the 2013? I have the knock-offs on my Gen 1 FJR and V-Strom hand guards, the handguards needed dremeling to fit the stock FJR levers, when I swapped to knock-off Pazzo's no additional fitting was needed, AFAIR.
I just want to know how he got the VStrom guards mounted on the '13. I only eyeballed it, but it was readily apparent they were a no go as they'd hit the inner fairing on full lock. Hum.. maybe I'll unbolt mine and see for real.

I just want to know how he got the VStrom guards mounted on the '13. I only eyeballed it, but it was readily apparent they were a no go as they'd hit the inner fairing on full lock. Hum.. maybe I'll unbolt mine and see for real.
I've got the helibars bridge adapter which give plenty of clearance. The motorrads would probably also let you do this.

And it is possible that pre-GenIII wouldn't be a problem for one reason or another. But trust me, you'd know. I couldn't budge the bike back at all to get it out of the carport.

RickDoyle,

are you saying you had to modify something on the clutch side to accept the lever properly or am I misreading something?

I still think it's weird that when I try to place the order, it says in bold letters that this will NOT fit the 2013 FJR. I don't want to have to do any mods.