Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Newish" desktop and rarely used Surface Pro tablet got the treatment a week ago.

Impressions: better to use than Windows 8, harder to configure / troubleshoot / tweak. Weird WiFi glitch as well.

Want it on old Dell laptop, but OEM Vista license + Technet Win7 license = no free upgrade (must check MSDN subscription status.)

FWIW, not upgrading workhorse Samsung Ultrabook until the '15 rally season ends.

Well, thought I liked Win 10. Not so much now
no.gif

Lost a couple of programs and didn't have full access to another, so, back to Win 7 ...... aaaaand ...

Followed the instructions -- "this may take a while" it said. "Click here" -- I did, then left the room for a while. Returned, and as expected, computer appeared to be in sleep mode. No no no. Was actually in a full on COMA !!

Didn't respond to mouse or keys and was totally blank. No little lights, nada. Shite !

Unplugged everything and counted 60. It sort of came back to life -- "this computer is password protected, enter password below" !! NO it f****in' isn't
not_i.gif

Left the room before I hurled it and contemplated a call to the pro's. Came back 10 mins later to watch it splutter and fart, and, yay
punk.gif
, back to Win 7

That was fun
sleep.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I followed this thread and finally upped to Win10 last week. I did the custom install thing and disabled the stuff that shared all my crap with the world (or MS, whichever comes first). So far, after getting used to a few things with the new browser most things seem fine. I had to mess around a bit with sleep/hibernation settings that seemed to have defaulted, and the MS Solitaire Suite I installed on 8.1 seems to have lost a few options (some games are timed now that weren't before, with the only option to disable the timer being to buy the full version).

So far, everything else seems to behave as expected, including a couple of work programs that technically shouldn't have even worked on 8.1 (but did anyway).

Since I basically just used 8.1 in desktop mode, this seems very similar. I had to go find certain things, but it was fairly intuitive as to where they'd gone.

A cautious thumbs-up for now.
good.gif

Went from 8.1 to 10 about a week ago...........very smooth no problems...........don't notice much difference really.........you all may want to check the privacy settings on 10, default is phoning everything in to Uncle Bill in Seattle.........I shut it off

If you're running Windows 8.1 and hate the tiles, download Classic Shell and install it. It puts the Windows 7 start button and start menu back in the lower left corner of the screen. Search Google for Classic Shell, install it, and enjoy the Windows 7 like setup. If you install it, you will never remove it. You're welcome.
smile.png

If you are smugly thinking I will avoid Micro$soft's intrusive Win 10 data mining by sticking with Win 7 or 8 think again.

Check out this article on new updates intensifying data collection on Windows 7 and 8 systems. It also includes how to uninstall them and how to hide them so they do not install again.

I uninstalled them and without much trouble. I suggest the command line method as noted in the article. And make a restore point before screwing around.

I've gotten tickled by the reports of installation numbers. "They are just sales of machines or boxes that don't get used. They're actual upgrades." But don't account for the numbers that "roll back" for whatever reason. I know at least a dozen people that had to roll back after a week or more because of hw/sw issues that popped up only after several days of really wanting to make a go of it.

I've gotten tickled by the reports of installation numbers. "They are just sales of machines or boxes that don't get used. They're actual upgrades." But don't account for the numbers that "roll back" for whatever reason. I know at least a dozen people that had to roll back after a week or more because of hw/sw issues that popped up only after several days of really wanting to make a go of it.
And computers bought with pre-installed Windoze that are then immediately loaded with Linux.

If you are smugly thinking I will avoid Micro$soft intrusive Win 10 data mining by sticking with Win 7 or 8 think again.
Check out this article on new updates intensifying data collection on Windows 7 and 8 systems. It also includes how to uninstall them and how to hide them so they do not install again.

I uninstalled them and without much trouble. I suggest the command line method as noted in the article. And make a restore point before screwing around.
Thanks for the heads up on this. Thought I was safe staying with Win 7, but I guess I better make sure none of those "updates" are on my machines.

If you are smugly thinking I will avoid Micro$soft intrusive Win 10 data mining by sticking with Win 7 or 8 think again.

If you are using Windows 10, you can use ShutUp 10 to disable the non-optional data collecting: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Eventually the older windows is going to be unsuppported, and it looks like windows 10 is a bit smoother.

Sooner or later I'm going to have to break down and get a Win 10 machine, but for now it can wait...

And just keeps getting better! Today I learned MICROSOFT HAS CONFIRMED Windows 10 is being downloaded to computers whether or not users have opted in. Click here to read the whole story. Grrrrrrrr.

You can find out if this is on your PC by finding folder $Window.~BT and see if the subfolders have a date >= 8/1/2015 or so. It is a hidden folder to the tune of 6 gb with about 17k files. Gee imagine if this loaded while on a slow internet connection at a hotel.

It is time to turn off auto update and force Windows to ask me if I want the update.

Here is how to remove this folder.

I've been running Windows 10 on 2 machines. They run fine. I'd say if you're running Windows 7 or 8 and you update to Windows 10, it's not a good idea. Your machine is designed to run with the operating system it came with. There is really no advantage to upgrade to Windows 10. You also run the risk of some devices on your computer not having a Windows 10 driver. If I would have known then, what I know now, I wouldn't have upgraded.

Like I said, Windows 10 is running fine on my high end machines. There is literally nothing that Windows 10 has that's all that exciting. It's only an operating system. No big deal to the average Joe.

I've been running Windows 10 on 2 machines. They run fine. I'd say if you're running Windows 7 or 8 and you update to Windows 10, it's not a good idea. Your machine is designed to run with the operating system it came with. There is really no advantage to upgrade to Windows 10. You also run the risk of some devices on your computer not having a Windows 10 driver. If I would have known then, what I know now, I wouldn't have upgraded.
Like I said, Windows 10 is running fine on my high end machines. There is literally nothing that Windows 10 has that's all that exciting. It's only an operating system. No big deal to the average Joe.
This is the information I was hoping to find. I'm on 7 Professional and it is questionable whether I can find drivers for some of my devices and I really don't want to take the chance. My system is humming along perfectly right now and I hate to do something (anything) that drops a monkey wrench into the gears...

Dan

This is the information I was hoping to find. I'm on 7 Professional and it is questionable whether I can find drivers for some of my devices and I really don't want to take the chance. My system is humming along perfectly right now and I hate to do something (anything) that drops a monkey wrench into the gears...

Dan
I dun did the upgrade on a couple of my 5 yr old Dell LTs last month, and it works great. Now they're faster than they were w/ W7. I loaded it on my 5 month old Dell XPS DT last week and so far so good. I tried to load it on my pos Asus netbook, (I use for travel'in.) and it wouldn't load. MS checked the computer before installation, and said it didn't have the drivers for the sucky, cheap-ass video card.

So I don't think you need to worry 'bout not having drivers, just back yer stuff up and go fer it; no guts, no glory!
wink.png