Used 2008 or new 2012?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 28803

Ridin' and smilin'
Reaction score
First, thanks for all the great threads here. I've learned a lot about the FJR over the last week, most of it here (or thru links I got to from here), and I'm looking forward to getting on one. 

I'm going back in to the dealership on Monday and had planned to buy a 2008 FJR but I've seen a listing that has given me second thoughts. 

My question is this:

Which might you choose, a used 2008 with 10,590 miles for $10,900 

<or> 

a new 2012 at $13,999?

The 2008 is all stock, as far as I can tell, and looks really good other than a scuff on one box. 

My tendency is usually to go new because I like warranties. I'm cautious that way, lol. But I also know I lose value as soon as I ride away.

I'm defintely sold on the FJR so I know I'll be getting one regardless. What are your thoughts, folks? 

Thanks in advance. 

No brainer, the 2012, you get the warranty, heated grips and whatever unannounced updates they have made not to mention a nicer color.

Yeah, that's kinda my thought too. I guess I want to check myself in case I'm playing it safe rather than saving money on a low mileage used bike. Make sense? lol

The '08 is overpriced by around $2500 - $3000 or so. Dealer has room to move on used...new [especially 2012] you're going to pay what he's asking. BTW, $13,999 isn't a bad price for a new FJR.

The used '08 will save you easy $5000 - $6000, not chump change and buys a lot of fuel and farkles. Ask if the '08 has a remaining YES on it, might surprise you.

I'd go for the '08 for $8K + TT&L.

Have fun with the bike whichever way you go! :)

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
The '08 is overpriced by around $2500 - $3000 or so. Dealer has room to move on used...new [especially 2012] you're going to pay what he's asking. BTW, $13,999 isn't a bad price for a new FJR.

The used '08 will save you easy $5000 - $6000, not chump change and buys a lot of fuel and farkles. Ask if the '08 has a remaining YES on it, might surprise you.

I'd go for the '08 for $8K + TT&L.

Have fun with the bike whichever way you go! :)

--G
Work em on the 08. I just paid $8,500 for mine with 4,700 miles and 2 years of YES warranty left. She's pristine.

Ok, thanks to both of you. I'm glad I took a week to look around a bit before committing to that bike, especially if I can get them down a bit on the price.

I have plenty to think about before Monday, lol

I posted this in the classified, but here's a direct link. My link I don't know the seller, I just saw it on Craigslist.

The guy's asking 7k for an 08 with a bunch of farkles on it. Think about it. That is a serious amount of savings. For what it's worth, FJR's routinely go 100k miles and more, so don't worry yourself about the miles on a pre-owned FJR. How it's been cared for and by whom is what matters.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I had the same problem a few years back. I was looking for a really nice blue 06 and had missed a few by minutes, probably to some of the guys on the forum. I finally said heck on it and went and bought a new black 08. They both are great bikes and I have thoroughly enjoyed the 08. In the long run it really comes down to what your favorite color is. If it is green $ then you can't go wrong with any used, well taken care of FJR . The dealers price on that 08 is a little high as the other guys have pointed out. Either way you will very happy. I've caught myself thinking about the new blue 12's often but, I like the color green more.

Thanks guys.

Rob, you're right about the color. I like green a lot, heh, but like silver and blue too.

I'm going to talk with the dealer tomorrow. They seem nice enough but I know they're in it for the money. I'll see if they can get me a new one ('11 or '12) at a good price or will drop a couple thousand off the '08. If the wont play nice I'll move along. I do know I've decided on the FJR so I've just got to go through the motions.

I posted this in the classified, but here's a direct link. My link I don't know the seller, I just saw it on Craigslist.

The guy's asking 7k for an 08 with a bunch of farkles on it. Think about it. That is a serious amount of savings. For what it's worth, FJR's routinely go 100k miles and more, so don't worry yourself about the miles on a pre-owned FJR. How it's been cared for and by whom is what matters.

Just my opinion.
I have to agree. And that's a great deal on that '08. It has me considering the drive to get it, lol.

I think $13,999 is a good price, I paid $13,900 for mine, plus tax, etc. It would be interesting to see if you could get your dealer to come down another $500 or so or include Y.E.S for that price. (5 years of warranty coverage.) Now that would be a sweet deal!!

My vote is go new if you can afford it. Nothing like knowing it has been care for the way you want it done from day one.

Yeah, that's what I think too. My only issue there is that I like the silver better than blue, lol. When I talk to the local folks I'm going to see if they can get a 2011 and give me $12,900 and the YES warranty. We'll see what happens.

Yeah, that's what I think too. My only issue there is that I like the silver better than blue, lol. When I talk to the local folks I'm going to see if they can get a 2011 and give me $12,900 and the YES warranty. We'll see what happens.
If you like the Gray then go for it, just keep in mind that's the slowest color. :p

Seriously, if I wasn't so hooked on the Cobalt Blue I would have looked for a new leftover as well. It maybe a year old but you are saving a few bucks and getting a new FJR, sounds like a win win to me.

Good luck and keep us posted what you do.

If you like the Gray then go for it, just keep in mind that's the slowest color. :p

Seriously, if I wasn't so hooked on the Cobalt Blue I would have looked for a new leftover as well. It maybe a year old but you are saving a few bucks and getting a new FJR, sounds like a win win to me.

Good luck and keep us posted what you do.
LOL, well, in the end I let my wife decide. I lean to the grey but she *really* likes the blue. Ultimately I just want the bike :p so, blue it is. Hopefully it'll be faster than the grey ;-)

I told Dealer Dude if he could get me a '12 at $13,9 I'd take it. I don't think I'll have any trouble but I don't expect to talk them into tossing in the YES warranty - but I'll try. :-D

I'll let you know what happens. In the mean time I'm eyeing farkles...

You might want to give D and H Cycle in Cullman, Al. a call. They usually have the best prices around and the last I knew you could get your Yes Warranty for 385 dollars. I know I called them and got it for that after I bought a new FJR in Iowa.

You can get info about them under the Dealer thread in this forum.

You will enjoy your bike where ever you buy it, but getting a good deal makes the ride even better.

Have fun

Mac

Theyre at the top of my call list! I've seen the posts about their prices so I'll be calling them Tuesday to verify. That price is fantastic!

Yeah, a good deal is always nice but I'm sure looking forward to getting out on that bike. I think I might have premature perma-grin.