Utah 1088 Results

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I just got home, I had a blast! I think that 21st was pure luck. I wanted to finish and possibally in the top 50%.

I'll do a write up and post some pics later, maybe tomarrow.

The Provo Police Departments just called me. They found my wallet.
...it's without cash and credit cards,
That's just how some assholes "Pay it forward." Well my theory is as follows:

"Everybody gets theirs...I just hope I'm there to see it."

Whoever cleaned you out will get theirs...lets just hope it makes the national news in some spectacularly stupid stunt so you'll have the satisfaction of knowing who took your stuff.

Oh, and congrats on a good finish...that goes for all of your crazy gluttons.

Me? 2nd freaking place?!?!?! I am tickled pink. As others have surmised, the ol spinny head has swelled to outlandish proportion.
I knew it! And rightfully so ScooterG, soak it up and enjoy your new found success in the rally arena.

You guys about to run the 5 day SPANK better watch out, it appears there's a new sheriff in town. :big_boss:

[SIZE=36pt]Plan well, Ride Hard, Get lucky.[/SIZE]
- A rally rider's mantra

Well, after arriving home at 0730 this morning and crashing, I am finally up and about. Sort of.

4 FJRs and forum members in the top 10!!!! A great day!!!!

What a great rally. My first Utah1088, I paid and had to forfeit my entry fee last year since I could not attend after my Cal24 crash. So I was glad to be able to get up there and finally run this infamous rally.

Lots of people there. The biggest rally I have attended. About 100 signed up, and IIRC, rallymaster said 84 departed the starting line Saturday morning, and 67 actually finished. Lots of FJRs. I am guessing about 20. Really, that is an incredible amount. Lots of first time rally runners also, several of them being posters from this forum. Congrats to all the newbies!

And special congrats to Rogue, for placing 21st in his first rally! That is quite an accomplishment. Words of wisdom from SkooterG: Boy needs to work less and play more!

Warchild. A very special last place finish for the man, the myth, the legend in his own m..............uhh, never mind. That boy ran up some serious flipping miles. Just think what he would have been able to do aboard his FJR! The big Honda weenie! Seriously, the last place plaque he received was pretty darned cool. Think I saw a tear forming in his eye, sniff, sniff. As usual, he was the top doggie for mileage. Boy can burn up some serious moist ass cheese. Word.

I was very happy for vectervp1 even though he F***ed up my FJR!!!! :angry2: He was pretty down and out after his poor showing at the Cal24, and talked rallymaster Chalmers into a last minute entry to try and redeem himself. And that he did! And then some! I know he is pretty damned pleased with himself for his top 10 finish. That is quite an accomplishment. He should be proud. Well done Art! :clapping: Now, if only he could have done that without getting that un-wanted souvenir. ;)

Iggy. Wow. Not too shabby for a JASP (Just Another Spineless Politician :p :D ) A 6th place finish in what I believe is only his second rally. That is just awesome. Gonna have to watch out for this cocky upstart and figure out a way to sabotage his ass in the future. :lol: Seriously, Great Job Iggy! :clapping:

Beeroux. Though he would disagree, another fine showing by Georgie-Porgie. He actually finished 3rd, not 5th, just behind the REALLY big dogs! :D . I've said it before, I will say it again, George is a rally f***ing animal! I wub you, George! :wub:

Me? 2nd freaking place?!?!?! I am tickled pink. As others have surmised, the ol spinny head has swelled to outlandish proportion. :****: My dream has always been to crack the top 5, and that was a dream I was not confident I would ever accomplish. So I am pretty darned stoked! And even better, I beat Georgie-Porgie! :taunt: :p Now that is something I thought I would NEVER do! Don't get me wrong folks, I ain't trying to rub it in. Ok, yes I am, but George, along withh Warchild, are my LD riding/rally mentors. They have both taught me a lot. And simply, George is in a whole nother class than I when it comes to riding rallies. Guess the planets were in preferential alignment for SkooterG on Saturday, and the student was lucky enough to show up the teacher. I ran my best rally so far, while George was off his typical stratospheric mark. I am sure that won't happen again, so I am going to plug this one for all its worth! :tease:

Great time had by all. Great to see so many FJRs there. Great to see old friends, and meet new ones. Now only if Art hadn't decided to play dominos with my FJR!!!!!! :(

Does the Utah1088 rally post final points anywhere?
Clicky Here O rally 'lil dog for the path to enlightenment

Usually takes rallybastard Chalmers about a week or two to get the current rally entered.
Dang - nice of you to post a picture of me and my old LT !!! thanks. Didn't know that existed.

For my return trip to southeastern Washington, I decided to kick back and didn't even leave SLC until ~ 3AM this morning. Rode around a little in northern Nevada before coming home. Just rolled in at 10pm tonight.

I'm pretty sure my *corrected* odometer reading of 1869 miles during the event is going to take First Place in the High Mileage Award.... B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew it! And rightfully so ScooterG, soak it up and enjoy your new found success in the rally arena.
You guys about to run the 5 day SPANK better watch out, it appears there's a new sheriff in town. :big_boss:
I think everybody....even SkooterG......thought about the ride home on how we all could possibly compete with Owen. The guy is a serious force of nature and some serious personal thought in how for all of us to get better.

I'm a bit nervous now. 36 hours after the event and I'm still wiped out. If the Utah 1088 is equivalent to 5K run, then SPANK is like switching to a half-marathon. Is it too late to get in shape for August?

I think everybody....even SkooterG......thought about the ride home on how we all could possibly compete with Owen. The guy is a serious force of nature and some serious personal thought in how for all of us to get better.

I'm a bit nervous now. 36 hours after the event and I'm still wiped out. If the Utah 1088 is equivalent to 5K run, then SPANK is like switching to a half-marathon. Is it too late to get in shape for August?
Matt....time to call on the Rocky music....you can do it....(turn up music here) :yahoo:

Congrats to all the forum members that finished the Utah 1088 safely this year. Especially ScooterG for beating George! :D And to Vectervp1 for redeeming himself. :yahoo: :clapping:

Speaking of Jim Owen...Mr. Owen deserves the credit for my success in this years MN1000. I adopted his GPS routing technique which allowed me to modify my route on the fly and make some fairly good choices. If I'd had a little more experience I could have easily gotten more points with a shorter route. Jim is in a class by himself, yet is willing to share some of his winning techniques.

So, Jim Owen takes (I believe) top dog award at the Mason Dixon 20-20 rally in Pennsylvania at the end of May and then repeats the top award in Utah less than 1 month later? His US atlas must be a lot smaller than mine.

Congrats!!!!

So, Jim Owen takes (I believe) top dog award at the Mason Dixon 20-20 rally in Pennsylvania at the end of May and then repeats the top award in Utah less than 1 month later? His US atlas must be a lot smaller than mine. Congrats!!!!
Just think what'll happen when he starts to ride his FJR for LD events... oh the horror! Hide the wimmen and Bonii!!! Owen is coming!!!! :lol:

Hmmm....

Had it not been for his Bavarian Clutch in the 05 IBR, he would have nailed that too .....

So - opinion poll here -

Does Jim Owen sleep?

Rode around a little in northern Nevada before coming home.
Why?? Sounds like you had already pretty much ridden all of our Nevada roads.

I'm oretty sure my *corrected* odometer reading of 1869 miles during the event is going to take First Place in the High Mileage Award....
Time to mount another rear tire already?

That's some kind of mileage, WC!! How does that earn one a "last place"? Is there a penalty system for most miles while lost? :unsure:

That's some kind of mileage, WC!! How does that earn one a "last place"? Is there a penalty system for most miles while lost? :unsure:
Nope, his lasik'ed up eyes prevent him from being competitive. Warchild now runs the Utah1088 more for fun and comradery instead of competitively. He usually runs to try and get the highest miles in the rally instead of getting the most points.

The scary part is, he doesnt always come in last place. He sometimes actually finishes ahead of people who are trying to get points! :eek:

For my return trip to southeastern Washington, I decided to kick back and didn't even leave SLC until ~ 3AM this morning. Rode around a little in northern Nevada before coming home. Just rolled in at 10pm tonight.
I'm pretty sure my *corrected* odometer reading of 1869 miles during the event is going to take First Place in the High Mileage Award.... B)
Warchild, if anyone I know can average 77.875 mph for 24 HOURS it is YOU!! My hat is off to you! You are the master of MILE EATERS! That accomplishment speaks highly of your XX machine.

Congratulations.

TurboDave

The Provo Police Departments just called me. They found my wallet.
...it's without cash and credit cards, but some parts are still there including my license. They are mailing it to me. At least I don't have to go get the license renewed.

OH NO!! Lost your billfold! I certainly hope my $20.00 wasn`t in it. >BSEG<

Remind me to relate the story of my lost wallet in Reno..

CONGRATULATIONS to all you guys--well done :clapping:

Congratulations to all! A very impressive performance. I am looking forward to reading all the stories. I hope to join you next year.

Warchild, if anyone I know can average 77.875 mph for 24 HOURS it is YOU!! My hat is off to you! You are the master of MILE EATERS! That accomplishment speaks highly of your XX machine.
It does help to have the fastest machine on the Start Line! :lol:

Here is my Night Train somewhere in northern Nevada at sunrise, Thursday, June 22nd, on the way down to Salt Lake City and to the BBQ at Rallymaster Steve Chalmers' house that evening:

ToSLC2.jpg

Below is the Blackbird in normal fighting trim while underway in a Endurance Ride. Weight is the enemy of Speed, so a "minimalist" approach is called for when packing for a 24-hour power-run. The only thing that is carried is the 5.0 gallon aux fuel cell, and 1-gallon insulated water jug strapped to the back of the aux cell, and misc tools/tire repair kit, etc in the side pockets of the aux fuel cell bag:

PostRally1.jpg

In the tankbag itself, every other item I need while undereway in the event must be carried in my Joe Rocket tankbag: heated gear, extra gloves/cold gear, etc. Also spare water, food, bonus documents, etc, etc.

Hi Guys

It was great to see some old friends at the 1088, and put some faces to the names on the forum. I was surprised to finish in the top 20, my first 24 hr rally that I actually finished. I'll put a report together in a week or so, gotta go out of town tomorrow.

Congrats Scoot on the 2nd place, and all the FJR guys, great results.

Here's a few figuring out how to beat Owen

78002624-M.jpg

tel