Utah1088 Fuel Cell Overflow 'Catch'

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't fill more than 4 1/4 gal into the Tanji tank and use the breather to give a good blow to keep from vapor lock.
I didn't know you had a Tanji...only about 13 or so of those in existence IIRC. My comments were generic to fuel cells in general and not specific to that two tube affair.

I don't fill more than 4 1/4 gal into the Tanji tank and use the breather to give a good blow to keep from vapor lock.
I didn't know you had a Tanji...only about 13 or so of those in existence IIRC. My comments were generic to fuel cells in general and not specific to that two tube affair.

Wow, so that happens to you too. Here's what I'm sayin:
ScootsNOS.jpg

It looks like it would flow out 'A' before 'B' so the bottle would not matter. :unsure:

It looks like it would flow out 'A' before 'B' so the bottle would not matter. :unsure:
I'm guessing you bought your Tanji used. The line that runs under the tank was originally a sight glass type of device. It goes from the neck to the bottom of the tank. However, the hose supplied with the Tanji cell when new, turned out to not be gas proof and in some cases deteriorated into spooge and clogged the fuel filter. Most of us just removed the sight glass line and plugged the holes. Some lazy bastids other owners just put new fuel proof line on. It serves no purpose if you can't see through it, but it doesn't hurt anything either.

Someone could use Tygon gas proof clear hose if they wanted to maintain the sight glass feature. I carry several feet in the spares bag with a set of extra dry break fittings. Never know when you might need to help somebody out.

I'm guessing you bought your Tanji used. The line that runs under the tank was originally a sight glass type of device. It goes from the neck to the bottom of the tank. However, the hose supplied with the Tanji cell when new, turned out to not be gas proof and in some cases deteriorated into spooge and clogged the fuel filter. Most of us just removed the sight glass line and plugged the holes. Some lazy bastids other owners just put new fuel proof line on. It serves no purpose if you can't see through it, but it doesn't hurt anything either.
Someone could use Tygon gas proof clear hose if they wanted to maintain the sight glass feature. I carry several feet in the spares bag with a set of extra dry break fittings. Never know when you might need to help somebody out.
Ohhhhhhh. Thank you. Yes I got it used. That explains all (OK most of ) the fittings on the neck.

Back to your regularly scheduled jabs at Scooter. ;)

Flip top or screw cap?

FWIW, the forward fitting on the neck is an inlet vent and has a one way check valve with a filter screen cap. Originally there was a 90 deg fitting on that with the check valve and cap facing down. In my case, a slight over fill followed by a sharp right turn splashed some fuel into the fitting and the gas on top of the check valve prevented it from passing air, thus no fuel flow to the main tank. I was in Alaska at the time, so just removed the 90 deg elbow and reinstalled the check valve and filter screen cap facing forward. This has worked very well ever since, (with a bonus of pressurizing the cell at 80+ speeds).

IIRC, there were three original prototypes with flip caps, then 3 more with flip caps that were a second run that have the CB ant. mount strait back, then a production run of standardized units in the last batch that all have proprietary screw on caps with capture chains and the ant. tab to the side to minimize flex. The last ten have serial numbers.

Oh, and the overflow line also has a one way check valve of the same type, only going out, not in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flip top or screw cap?
FWIW, the forward fitting on the neck is an inlet vent and has a one way check valve with a filter screen cap. Originally there was a 90 deg fitting on that with the check valve and cap facing down. In my case, a slight over fill followed by a sharp right turn splashed some fuel into the fitting and the gas on top of the check valve prevented it from passing air, thus no fuel flow to the main tank. I was in Alaska at the time, so just removed the 90 deg elbow and reinstalled the check valve and filter screen cap facing forward. This has worked very well ever since, (with a bonus of pressurizing the cell at 80+ speeds).

IIRC, there were three original prototypes with flip caps, then 3 more with flip caps that were a second run that have the CB ant. mount strait back, then a production run of standardized units in the last batch that all have proprietary screw on caps with capture chains and the ant. tab to the side to minimize flex. The last ten have serial numbers.

Oh, and the overflow line also has a one way check valve of the same type, only going out, not in.
Screw cap. I don't think I have the check valves though, cause if it is overfilled it dribbles out the breather (no 90* fitting) onto the bag while also going out the drain tube. That's how I learned not to overfill. :rolleyes: I also used 3/8" line to the main to try and avoid vapor lock, but on occassion it still hasn't wanted to flow without a good blow on the breather. Seems to do the trick though. This aux tank has had more issues than my last one. I had BLM make one for my Suzuki before and plumbing was easier because of carbs. Just Y'ed it into the fuel line prior to the fuel pump with a select switch.

Leaving on a BBG (hopefully) tomorrow. Hope I have more luck than my neighbors Dick, Mario & Dave did last weekend. :blink: