Very rough, nearly stalls, at idle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My TPS is 16 when closed and 103 when fully open, which is fine. It was sunny and hot when my problems occured, but my question, feeger, was how long you'd been riding before you stopped.

LagoRunner, sometime this week I plan on doing another one, or at least just seeing what the readings are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not seem to get the problem when riding home last night; it mainly happened after I rode literally one minute, then parked it, then tried to start it again half an hour later. Didn't turn over til I applied throttle, and had the weird scratching when starting from stops on that ride (which was itself short).
It could be a weird poorly-programmed fuel injection...?

Also I exaggerated the idle problems. It constantly wavers, and audibly, but only between like 1100-1250 rpm, so a much smaller range than what I stated.
Are you aware that the FJR's ECU does not like to have the engine stopped until it has run completely through its warm-up cycle?

IOW, should you start the bike and run it for a minute or so, then shut it off while it is still in the "enrich" mode, the bike will act like it's flooded. Well, actually, it IS flooded because the computer is still dumping fuel through the injectors.

Always make sure the engine is properly warmed and running "normal" before you shut the engine off.

Yeah that's what I guessed because I read something similar in another thread; hence the question to feeger if he did a similar thing.

My previous Ninja 650R never did that and it too was fuel-injected. So that's why I mentioned "poorly-programmed fuel-injection" as a possible culprit.

Yeah that's what I guessed because I read something similar in another thread; hence the question to feeger if he did a similar thing.
My previous Ninja 650R never did that and it too was fuel-injected. So that's why I mentioned "poorly-programmed fuel-injection" as a possible culprit.

The bike was running for more than a few minutes in the past when this has happened.

The last time this happened (Monday) I had the key turned to the "on" position (not running, but I could hear the injectors doing their thing) but, turned it off before starting it to use the key put something in the trunk. The bike had been sitting in the parking lot at work all day and the outside temp was in the 70's. When I did start it it was running really rough and felt like it was going to die when I gave it some throttle. After a few minutes, it was running okay.

I have the very same thing happen to me. Bought my FJR last April and this has happen three or four times when I ride somewhere and stop then restart. The only common thing is the heat. Each time it was 80ish and when I restart the bike it feels like it was flooded. Rev it a couple of times and everything goes back to normal. After reading this thread maybe I shut off my bike too soon at my stop? maybe I should let it idle for a minute before shutting it off.