Very strange starting issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tis the battery. The FJR is a bitch when it comes to the amount of voltage required to run properly. My OEM battery on both of my FJRs failed after slightly over 2 years.
Yup. I cleaned the contacts and it seems to have helped...no issues starting this morning. I believe the battery is on the way out. This fact coupled with a bit of corrosion at both terminals was enough to cause the problem. How you say can the starter crank and yet there not be enough voltage to trip the fuel pump relay? I have a theory. Since I installed the Brodie grounding harness, the ground connection to just about everything other than the starter is via the new harness. If there was more corrosion on that particular connector blade (Brodie harness) to ground than the main ground connector that addresses the starter, I could foresee the starter working but the fuel relay not. It's a long shot but lacking further evidence I'm going with that.

Maybe cranking the starter takes precedence over the fuel relay and when I cranked it, the relay became unpowered??? Who knows.
If you are wanting to purchase a new battery, you can try these guys . $88.95 with free shipping. They offer a 2 YEAR , no hassle, full replacement warranty on this Motobatt sealed AGM battery.

Tis the battery. The FJR is a bitch when it comes to the amount of voltage required to run properly. My OEM battery on both of my FJRs failed after slightly over 2 years.
Yup. I cleaned the contacts and it seems to have helped...no issues starting this morning. I believe the battery is on the way out. This fact coupled with a bit of corrosion at both terminals was enough to cause the problem. How you say can the starter crank and yet there not be enough voltage to trip the fuel pump relay? I have a theory. Since I installed the Brodie grounding harness, the ground connection to just about everything other than the starter is via the new harness. If there was more corrosion on that particular connector blade (Brodie harness) to ground than the main ground connector that addresses the starter, I could foresee the starter working but the fuel relay not. It's a long shot but lacking further evidence I'm going with that.

Maybe cranking the starter takes precedence over the fuel relay and when I cranked it, the relay became unpowered??? Who knows.
If you are wanting to purchase a new battery, you can try these guys . $88.95 with free shipping. They offer a 2 YEAR , no hassle, full replacement warranty on this Motobatt sealed AGM battery.
Or get that Motobatt battery at BikeBatts.com for only $69 shipped. I bought one a few week ago.

Or get that Motobatt battery at BikeBatts.com for only $69 shipped. I bought one a few week ago.
Having never bought a motorcycle battery before, is this Motobatt better or worse than a regular put-the-water-in type?

Having never bought a motorcycle battery before, is this Motobatt better or worse than a regular put-the-water-in type?
[opinion]

An AGM battery is almost required given the location in the fairing. Any battery, including the Motobatt that is specified for the FJR will be an AGM. The design of VRLA batteries make them better than the 'wet cell' water type batteries in motorsports. In terms of performance, AGM batteries are mostly similar in electrical performance but more robust physically and won't leak. AGM batteries require a more controlled charging because the Valve (VRLA) will outgas the battery and you can't replace this lost material.

There is no definitive testing or ratings that clearly analyze battery performance leading to the 'best battery available'. The Motobatt is among the regular top picks in battery tests. About the best you can look for is frequent representation in the top group of various tests. There is a huge amount of misunderstanding about battery specifications and what they really mean to real world use. Plus, there is some amount of obfuscation put forth by some battery companies.

[/opinion]

Edit: Fixed dyslexic typing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your fuel pump not running problem could be caused by "green death" on the fuel pump relay. It's located under your headlights on a plastic shelf (part of the nose fairing). I found some corrosion on mine a couple years ago while troubleshooting my spider bite. Here's a pic of the relay connection:

fuelpumprelaycorrosion.jpg

Skooter beat me to it, but I found the Motobatt for only $69 delivered from bikebatts.com last week and it arrived at my door exactly one week after ordering it. Not as quick as stopping by the dealer, but if you can wait a week you can save some serious dough over an OEM battery. :yahoo:

Just as quickly as this problem arose, ok even quicker, it disappeared. I cleaned the battery terminals including all the positive and ground connections to the battery and got 9 straight perfect starts. On the 10th start, it got goofy once and ever since then it's been fine except for a little slow cranking in the cold. I have a new battery sitting here and I just checked the voltage on the old one and it's 13.1 volts...hardly dead.

So now wtf?

Just as quickly as this problem arose, ok even quicker, it disappeared. I cleaned the battery terminals including all the positive and ground connections to the battery and got 9 straight perfect starts. On the 10th start, it got goofy once and ever since then it's been fine except for a little slow cranking in the cold. I have a new battery sitting here and I just checked the voltage on the old one and it's 13.1 volts...hardly dead.

So now wtf?
Voltage don't mean squat per se. My battree was spinning the starter slower in the winter, but I could tell it was losing its mojo. I bought a new cheap-O AGM, measured voltage out of the box no charge, 12.8V, then into the bike it went. Old battree reading 13.4V, wow the old battree has tons-O-voltage, wrong! The new battree with 12.8V cranked my bike over cold more like a Top Fuel motor!

You might wanna check the tire pressure....Or it might be the water is low in the carburetor..
Tire pressures are good, 80 front, 23 rear. Probably needs a new carb float or something.

Is it Friday yet?
It's Friday to me....Check the piston return spring, sometimes they stretch and go south for the winter. :D

Might I suggest you head North East for a spell?

bellevue_hotel.jpg
Don't do it! It's a trap!!!

He's looking for someone to share his expenses, needs a roommate. He offered me a free shaving kit and an unlimited supply of cat's blood in a PM, and I had to turn him down. Now he's just mad. Angry, as well as crazy!

Ummmmm,, Walt? I'm in north Georgia right now, my escape was successful ..

I'll see ya in a few hours. :assassin: Be naked okay?

Nakedness aside, it was the battery.

Replaced it last night and this morning on the way to work it was like a new bike. EVERYTHING seems to work better. Thanks everybody for pointing me in the right direction and for the laughs.

Now, about the crappy worn out suspension...Racetech or Ohlins????

Nakedness aside, it was the battery.

Replaced it last night and this morning on the way to work it was like a new bike. EVERYTHING seems to work better. Thanks everybody for pointing me in the right direction and for the laughs.

Now, about the crappy worn out suspension...Racetech or Ohlins????
Traxxion Dynamics, ask for Lee....