Want less heat and better performance too?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcruiser(aka downn2)

Reaction score
Dale Walker's Holeshot has come up with a Header for the FJR that rids your bike of the catalytic converter....that along with a slighter bigger diameter pipe combined with his mufflers, should give you another 10 hp, not to mention the Kwel sound.....

Check it out...I have an 06 so heat isn't the prob, but I'd like to see the difference in performance if than damn thing could breath a little!! 10 HP is almost a 10%.....That'd be smoking BMW, MOVER OVER!

https://www.holeshot.com/

Me want NOW!!!

Willing to trade

Pat2.jpg

for

hdr12.jpg

PM me for details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dale Walker's Holeshot has come up with a Header for the FJR that rids your bike of the catalytic converter....that along with a slighter bigger diameter pipe combined with his mufflers, should give you another 10 hp, not to mention the Kwel sound.....
Check it out...I have an 06 so heat isn't the prob, but I'd like to see the difference in performance if than damn thing could breath a little!! 10 HP is almost a 10%.....That'd be smoking BMW, MOVER OVER!

The '06 has a heated oxygen sensor. How do you deal with it when changing the entire exhaust?

Installed a PC just before the Reno thing. Have been waiting for over a month or so for my complete DW system. Decided that eliminating the cat and having coated pipes inside and out would be benificial in reducing standing heat. I thought that the PC might cause the bike to run rich (without the ox cen. ) up in the altitude in Reno but it ran beautiful. Larger pipes and simple transitition to the cans should show a little HP gain. Also will save 10 to 15 lbs over the stock cans.

I received my Holeshot Header system last week and installed it this weekend. Dale is having lots of problems with the ceramic coating sub-contractor. He gets a batch of 15 back from the coater, and has to send virtually all of them back. Apparently, there is a contaminent in the coating that makes little visible imperfections in the finish. Dale is a perfectionist, and does not let these go out to customers.

As many of you already know, he is a stand up guy also, so he has been giving his coating sub-contractor lots of time to address the contaminent issue. He says the coating company is a mom&pop shop which has delivered quality product for many years, and has faith that they'll address the issue. He is losing lots of business because of this, but when you are a stand up guy, that's less important.

Unfortunately for me, I've been trapped at work all week and have not actually ridden my bike with the new headers yet. I'm off on Friday and will post a ride report afterwards. The headers add more growl to the bike, but overall the sound hasn't changed dramatically at a standstill. Dale says when you whomp on the throttle, you'll notice the difference in sound. He also provided a custom PC map for his headers + slip ons. The header install was easy (perfect fit), and I also did the FJR radiator flush and switched to DEXCOOL at the same time.

At a standstill in the garage, there are two noticeable heat related improvements. First, it took longer for the bike to go to 4 bars and fan, and second, with the fan running, there doesn't seem to be as much heat on your right leg. I always felt that when the fan kicks in, most of the hot air exited the right side on your calf. It still does, but it feels less hot overall.

Stay tuned for the ride report. I truly love my '05, but hate the heat. If this mod works, I'll be in heaven.

Be sure to keep all your stock parts in the attic. If EPA ever starts to enforce their mod rule, you're looking at huge fines and DMV problems. Not sure they will ever do so, but we are starting to hear rumblings about this. Better safe than sorry.

Check the MRF website for current information on EPA rules and enforcement.

https://www.mrf.org/

And here is a link to an excellent article in American Iron magazine, HDs used as examples, but it may apply to anyone modding their bike.

https://www.mrf.org/pdf/EPA-AI-1.pdf

Do a few miles at a buck plus, and the sound improves? by several magnitudes..... ;) WFO sounds positively religous.

Didn't someone post a dyno run that showed a 3hp gain a while ago ?? :unsure:

Didn't someone post a dyno run that showed a 3hp gain a while ago ?? :unsure:

I got close to 7hp's without sacrificing smoothness and gas milage. It is much, much cooler on my '03 when running slow and in traffic, almost unnoticible. The sound is a non issue at operating speeds but lets you know where you are at when accelerating. I get from 42-44 in Ca. on Ca. gas cruising just above the speed limit. I run a PCIII with a custom map. The map was made by Richard at Cycle Imports in Soquel. Dale uses him for various project and performance enhancements. Of course my milage goes down to around 30 jetting through the Nevada desert at near warp speeds. I am very happy with the full system and SCREW THE EPA. If they can show me my FJR pollutes more than a damn Hummer based on miles driven and the gas milage difference then maybe I'll think about it ... NOT!!!

I thought that the PC might cause the bike to run rich (without the ox cen. ) up in the altitude in Reno but it ran beautiful.

One nice thing about electronic fuel injection systems is that they are inherently altitude compensating...with or without and oxygen sensor. Not like carburetors that shift rich as you go up in altitude. Fuel injection systems (electronic) rely on the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) and/or mass air flow meters data to compute fuel delivery which takes the loss of air density and pressure inherently into account. Most systems also have barometric pressure data, either computed from the MAP sensor or from a dedicated baro sensor, to accurately calculate engine vacuum where that parameter is needed.

and I also did the FJR radiator flush and switched to DEXCOOL at the same time.
Hmm, I am suprised Jestal missed this one.

IIRC, The DEXCOOL will not perform better than the original green antifreeze if it didnt come with it first.

Discussed in depth HERE by Jestal, Our resident master mechanic! Good stuff here....

I emailed Holeshot from a link on their website to see if their full system had been installed on an '06 yet and if the PC map was available for the '06, but have not received a reply after about 2 weeks now. Does anyone know if the full system is ready for the '06?

too_many_hobbies

I emailed Holeshot from a link on their website to see if their full system had been installed on an '06 yet and if the PC map was available for the '06, but have not received a reply after about 2 weeks now. Does anyone know if the full system is ready for the '06?
too_many_hobbies

TurboDave pulled his off his 05' and put it on his 06', exactly the same.

Have they come out with a PowerCommander for the 06' yet?