Wanted: a decent frikken tank bra for an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second the Bagster. Plus you can go with their integrated tank bag or use whatever.
UPwithMark005.jpg

what's the trim on your windshield? where did you get it? Does it "do anything" or is it just for looks?

So there's no problems with the covers or bras wearing on the paint? I use to run a bra on my old TransAm and after a while it started to work on the paint and fit was tight. I do like the look of the Yamaha Tank Skin though. PM. <>< :unsure:

Full tank covers aren't exposed to the wind the way the nose of a TransAm is. It's the flapping of the edges that ruin the paint on car bras. I can't say how the quarter or half covers work or if they might mess up your paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Full tank covers aren't exposed to the wind the way the nose of a TransAm is. It's the flapping of the edges that ruin the paint on car bras. I can't say how the quarter or half covers work or if they might mess up your paint.
I have a 1/2 bra on my VFR. No flapping.

I think it's what Bounce said. There's not enough wind flow across the tank to cause any flapping. Not like on the nose of a car.

I got the second look and really like it. Matches the lines of the FJR really well. No wind issues even at high speed. Not too expensive. Plus it covers the large dent in my gas tank from where it hit the tree!

IMG_4755Large.jpg

I got the second look and really like it. Matches the lines of the FJR really well. No wind issues even at high speed. Not too expensive. Plus it covers the large dent in my gas tank from where it hit the tree!
IMG_4755Large.jpg
Keith, That looks like (almost) exactly what I am after. I assume that you ordered the '04 model, which is listed on their web site as being black carbon fiber?

I'd really like to see what the '05 Blue looks like before I order it. Anyone have a picture of one?

What was wrong with the MagKnight bra, if I may ask? I was looking at purchasing one on the recommendation of a pal at work.
I have one for my 06 AE. Does the job just fine. The only challenge is when you remove it for cleaning - you sometimes have to spend the time "reshaping" it to fit the tank.

I've sent (another) email to second look to see if they would be willing to produce their FJR shape tank skin in plain black vinyl. No FCF look, No colors anymore I want it to turn black. If I get a positive response I will definitely be buying one. I will then take some piccies and report back here. That may become one of their standard options at that point in case anyone else is interested in a plain black tank bra...

I've sent (another) email to second look to see if they would be willing to produce their FJR shape tank skin in plain black vinyl. No FCF look, No colors anymore I want it to turn black. If I get a positive response I will definitely be buying one. I will then take some piccies and report back here. That may become one of their standard options at that point in case anyone else is interested in a plain black tank bra...
Please post it up when you find out. I am interested in a black 1/2 tank bra as well.

Vewry happy with the BAGSTER.
No leak, easy to remove, verynice look ! :rolleyes:

004.jpg
Pierre, where did you get your Bagster tank cover from? I've not seen one with the FJR logo on it before.

[edit] Looks like gramps' bagster has the logo too. Gramps and Pierre, where did you get your black bagsters?

If you want to keep the look of the bike the tank slapper is the way to go. Super easy to apply, truly fool proff. I've always stayed away from bras not so much for fear of scratching but more for the fear of the tank going 2 tone on me after being exposed to the sun for a few years. Theres a linky below to where I bought my tank slapper.

https://www.thetankslapper.biz/

If you want to keep the look of the bike the tank slapper is the way to go. Super easy to apply, truly fool proff. I've always stayed away from bras not so much for fear of scratching but more for the fear of the tank going 2 tone on me after being exposed to the sun for a few years. Theres a linky below to where I bought my tank slapper.
https://www.thetankslapper.biz/
Thanks, but as I mentioned earlier I have some evils (scratches) to cover up already.

I did get a response from Second Look. They will gladly make one of their tank skins (1/2 tank bra) in black for their standard price of $89.95 or $149.95 with the FJR embroidery. Anyone interested only need call them to order. 800-566-5753

It's down to either a Second Look tank skin or the black Bagster full cover. The only place that I've found to order the Bagster is from Bike Johnny. They are wicked expensive and the shipping from the UK is a bear too.

I think I'd really prefer the Bagster, if I can find a slightly better deal. So if anyone knows somewhere in the US that sells the Bagster stuff, please speak up.