Warchild Help Settle The Oil Issue!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I am comparing apples to oranges, but when my significantly better half bought her Honda Accord I switched to Mobil 1 10W-30 at 3000 miles. It now has 126000 and still running and never the first problem, it certainly doesn't use any oil between 5000 mile changes. Geez who-da thunk it-who knows

I will say filters are your biggest friend. If you want to spend your time on the oil issue make sure you use a good filter.On the same note, I own a Cummins diesel and at 12-13 quarts of oil, money, interval, use of truck do become a big topic. I get free oil from the dealer and a BS discount on their crappy filter. Discount still makes the filter more expensive than the best fleetguard.
WC what are my choices on oil filters and which one is the best ? :p

Ya'll better stop it now or Jestal is gonna come in here and write a novel. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have gone with Radman's recommendation and use the Pure One oil filter.

I also took his advice and put on copper washers in place of the crush washers. I put them on the oil drain plug, the final drive fill plug, and final drive drain plug. I also put one on the drain plug of my other Yamaha. These copper washers are typically used for brakes on larger vehicles and don't need to be replaced when changing the oil.

Oooh. I like this new forum. Good call Warchild.

From this point on I know that I can skip it entirely when I look at new messages ......because they're in this forum.

From this point on I know that I can skip it entirely when I look at new messages ......because they're in this forum.
But won't you be concerned you'll miss something important....

I mean really...

Never mind...the pre-senior moment has passed :blink:

--G

Why would anyone want to miss these threads?

Good family entertainment this is, hee, hee.....

I will say filters are your biggest friend. If you want to spend your time on the oil issue make sure you use a good filter.On the same note, I own a Cummins diesel and at 12-13 quarts of oil, money, interval, use of truck do become a big topic. I get free oil from the dealer and a BS discount on their crappy filter. Discount still makes the filter more expensive than the best fleetguard.
WC what are my choices on oil filters and which one is the best ? :p
I bet you guys buy the $1 filters for your home HVAC don't ya. I have friend who's son is allergic to everything and they put the crappy cheap ass filters in. I use the 3M filters and while they cost more and say they can go 3 months I change them every month and with dogs and birds in the house they are worth it.

Filters, Filters, Filters :D

I know I am comparing apples to oranges, but when my significantly better half bought her Honda Accord I switched to Mobil 1 10W-30 at 3000 miles. It now has 126000 and still running and never the first problem, it certainly doesn't use any oil between 5000 mile changes. Geez who-da thunk it-who knows
What is wrong with you? Don't you listen?

Honda says you are suppose to run 5W20 in your Accord engine. :clap:

Just look at all the internal damage and the money you have wasted on the extra gas it takes to run it with the wrong oil! :bleh:

I don't know why you bother to change it at all now! :lol:

Heheheheheheheheeeh! :D

Okay ....I'm done! :blink:

Haven't you guys ever heard the stories of the "old timers" who never change their oil in their trucks only the filters every 3000 and they have their trucks run 150-200,000 miles...

Moral of the story don't change it at all just,

filters, filters filters :D :D :D

Haven't you guys ever heard the stories of the "old timers" who never change their oil in their trucks only the filters every 3000 and they have their trucks run 150-200,000 miles...Moral of the story don't change it at all just,

filters, filters filters :D :D :D
Well, I used to have a Chevy that I never changed the oil on. It leaked out fast enough that all I had to do was put in a quart or two every week. ;)

As far as I'm concerned Motorcycle Consumer News has given the last word on oil. First: Motorcycle specific mineral and synthetic oil does not perform any better than regular automotive oil. Just make sure your oil choice does not have the "energy conserving" label on it.

Second: As a group synthetic oils did significantly outperform mineral oils.

That's it. That's what it all boiled down to.

Ah the venerable Honda accord my college car.....I never used synthetic and I only added oil when I cound not see it on the stick or the light came on I gave it to a family at church with 232000 miles on it. Its a car that will run till the body rusts off it.

I have gone with Radman's recommendation and use the Pure One oil filter.
I also took his advice and put on copper washers in place of the crush washers. I put them on the oil drain plug, the final drive fill plug, and final drive drain plug. I also put one on the drain plug of my other Yamaha. These copper washers are typically used for brakes on larger vehicles and don't need to be replaced when changing the oil.
A brilliant move on your part. :D The washers I put on Frank have gone through many removal/installation cycles now, 0 leakage, 0 torque issues, 0 replacements. They give the same "torque feel" every time, unlike the crushers Yami provides, this alone makes them the smart choice given the number of stripped drain plug threads I have seen here and elsewhere. I change oil very often, some might say wastefully often (1500-1800 miles), and so they have proven to be economical as well.

A brilliant move on your part. :D The washers I put on Frank have gone through many removal/installation cycles now, 0 leakage, 0 torque issues, 0 replacements. They give the same "torque feel" every time, unlike the crushers Yami provides, this alone makes them the smart choice given the number of stripped drain plug threads I have seen here and elsewhere. I change oil very often, some might say wastefully often (1500-1800 miles), and so they have proven to be economical as well.
Oh brother.

Crush washers here. Replace with a new one every oil change/final drive oil change. Bought a gazillion of the things early on. No biggie. Not hard to feel the torque, and when the washer has crushed. Really, this isn't rocket science.

Oil change 1500-1800 miles? Really? Radman - that says it all.

:bleh:

Hmmmm, lessee. Radman is on the guitar and Skooter is sittin' on the porch with his banjo...

Oh, and thanks, radman, for the copper washer advise. :good:

my parts guy at the dealer didnt know what size crush washer the FJR took,,

he asked me to find out so he could order some !!!????

so,,, copper washers it is for me !!

and yes I run mobil one gold cap since 3500 miles ,,

cause Warchild said so !!!!! :haha: :p :p

yeah I change it every 1500 miles too!!

Stumbled into the room by accident......

I too am going copper. My first bag of crush is near empty.

Thanks Rad. :thumbup:

What's a good source for these copper washers? Might be a stupid question but I don't actually have a bike yet, just thinking about it - that gives me dispensation, right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.