warm digits options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTMRIDER

Reaction score
1. Option... install factory heated grips. Cleanest look and a factory install which I like.

2. Option... Some good aftermaket grips Not a plug and play

3. Option.... Gerbings micro glove liners PIA to put on and plug in

How well do factory warmers work? Im not opposed to also adding V strom guards

Best option if you will be riding in really cold temps:

#4 - A pair of warm'nSafe or First Gear gloves (they are the same gloves). Heated grips of any kind just do not compare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would fall into the group that hates the wire hook up. I leave work at 11 00 at night for a 38 mile ride home and a lot of time wont bother to put on rain gear even if its sprinkling out.

I have the V-strom guards, no heated grips or gear. Rode back from Marion VA. Thanksgiving weekend...when we left it was 16f, temps never got above 34f for my 6 1/2 hr slab ride.

Just get yerself some good gloves.

good topic...

wondering the same things...

i want to be able to add a throttle device to it however... and not throttlemiesters unless there are no other options...

Im also going to want a throttle control of some sort, but im leani g towards some sort of actual cruise control

Im also going to want a throttle control of some sort, but im leani g towards some sort of actual cruise control
Hey! No Hijacking threads!

Oh wait, this is your thread. Nevermind.
wink.png

For a cruise control, you really can't beat the AudioVox unit. Lots of experience and installs have been done with those. Many happy users. You can still get them from Murph's Kits here, unfortunately they are almost twice the price they once were back in the day.

As for wires to heated gear, When the temps are low enough, you'll live with the wires. Heated grips are nice for those shoulder months where it's a bit chilly in the morning and evening, but not cold all day long.

There is just no end to the amount of stuff you just gotta have for this hobby sport obsession!
wink.png

All good questions...I have an '09 for reference,

I rode with Gerbing heated gloves for five years. Then I got smart and searched ebay and some other forums for oem heated grips. I found a pair for less than $150, I installed the controller after removing my Gerbing controller from the stock controller location; then I employed my local dealership for the rest. I was only charged $60 for the remaining install. I am so glad I went with the oem heated grips. I am very picky on how things look and function. The grips are awesome and very, very warm. I live in S/E PA and I ride with my totally vented summer gloves all the way into the early winter months (+/- 40 degrees) and I am completely comfortable. After that I put on my fall gloves that only have a small amount of insulation in them and I install my winter shield and I am good for the rest of the winter. I ride all year long and at this point I've ridden down to 18 degrees. The grips have never failed keeping my hands warm.

Good luck in your decision!

I have the factory heated grips and v-strom guards. It works ok above 35f or so. below that my fingertips get cold. I have added a bit of material to the bottom of the guards to reduce updraft.

By next winter I hope to add a modern version of the old "hippo hands" that will fit over the guards thus eliminating any possible unintended brake lever application issues.

I found these nylon covered foam guards to be helpful to block the wind, larger than V-Strom ones, attach with velcro strap, so easy on easy off, store relatively small. Not nearly as bulky as hippo hands or the like. I have a set of Oxford hippo hand type things if somebody wants them, not bad only a bit too bulky for me.

https://www.bikebandit.com/moose-racing-foam-motorcycle-handguards

However, in windy conditions, can touch your brake lever and kick the cruise off..... so maybe a set of these behind it (or some other such reinforcement/aluminum flat stock, doesn't have to be much). I haven't gotten around to making some flat bar up yet.......

https://www.bikebandit.com/moose-racing-motorcycle-aluminum-handguards

Also, for temps in the 30's or less, it's nice to have both heated gloves and grips..... In my opinion, my factory heated grips take too long to warm up (they are working fine), when it's darn cold. The ECU pulses the ground based on a minimum rpm or ground speed, so if you ride slow.......... and they only get partial power at idle (power conservation). The fix, find that ground wire and ground them permanently.

Also, for those with the older Warm & Safe remote controller that uses a 2032 battery, it won't perform well in all cold conditions (lithiums don't like cold), so sign on to Warm & Safe using your account, and order the new upgraded one that takes AA's (cost ya $20 or so). When the 2032 battery doesn't put out the juice, the remote system defaults to 60% power and I thought I had a wiring problem...... not so.

pondering the same things...

i want warm hands, hate a bunch of wires, so grips will probably do it for me...

but i want to ad a throttle device as well... and not a throttlemiester if i can help it...

For me it's a set of aftermarket heated grips the PO installed on the bike. Only two positions [high/low] but work well enough that it's not worth changing.

Instead of VStrom handguards, consider using these [sans decals] from Cycra. Easy on / off and work well to keep these handlebar muffs [in black] from QuadBoss off the levers. This set-up will keep your hands warm as low as you want to go.

--G

I have a Hot Grips brand kit with the variable controller wired into an Easter Beaver PC-8 fuse panel. Easy enough to install and looks clean. Even around the freezing mark using 3 season gloves with no hand guards, I still only run them around 50% power. They get almost too hot on full power.

The aftermarket kits seem to work fine for about 1/2 the $ of the OEM kit.

I've got the First Gear gloves (with the wires) and a Heat Troller, the wires are a necessary evil, but boy are those gloves nice (warm and acceptably flexible for good feel and bike operation of all switches and controls).