Warranty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikemiser

Reaction score
Coming from a bike that had a 3 year unlimited miles warranty, whats the deal on the FJR having a 12 mo. warranty? Three of those months the bike is not even used. Is Yamaha afraid to go out any further than a few months?

No, since they offer the 4 year additional factor Y.E.S. extended warranty at such a low price it's easy to justify adding on the $389 for 5 years of coverage. Said another way is your other brand afraid to offer a 5 year warranty? The answer, of course, is not. It's not a fear thing...it's a product offering that differentiates themselves between brands. Apples and oranges.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, since they offer the 4 year additional factor Y.E.S. extended warranty at such a low price it's easy to justify adding on the $389 for 5 years of coverage. Said another way is your other brand afraid to offer a 5 year warranty? The answer, of course, is not. It's not a fear thing...it's a product offering that differentiates themselves between brands. Apples and oranges.
I bought an 06 that was just out of warranty (from a dealer) and I don't remember being offered a Y.E.S.. To me a 5 year warranty for 4 or 5 hundred dollars is not the same as a free 3 year warranty. I'm hoping I don't need any thing fixed. Thanks for comment.

I bought an 06 that was just out of warranty (from a dealer) and I don't remember being offered a Y.E.S.. To me a 5 year warranty for 4 or 5 hundred dollars is not the same as a free 3 year warranty. I'm hoping I don't need any thing fixed. Thanks for comment.
When I was in school, we did an accounting case on auto companies warranties and how they accrued the revenue (had to match expected costs). It involved looking at frequency and severity ($) of claims data. Granted, it was cars and not bike, but ~85% of claims came within the first 12 months. The median claim was very small dollars. Years two and three had very few claims. However, the claims started increasing again in year 4 and 5. The average dollars on a claim started going up dramatically in year 5 - probably from wear on major parts.

Bottomline - a one-year warranty provides you with most fit and finish protection. Many companies give you year 2 and year 3 because they don't expect much from that. Yamaha is willing to provide fairly cheap coverage for the time period when failures start to be more severe. To me, that says they have a fair amount of confidence in the longevity of their product.

BTW - you can only purchase the YES extended warranty while it's under the one-year period. So your 2006 wasn't eligible when you purchased it. That's why it wasn't offered.

Maybe you should just sell it and buy a new one...then you could get the Y.E.S. warranty

or buy a BMW...

And let's not forget the way Yamaha has handled certain issues such as Gen-I tickers without regard to warranty status.

Check with the Yamaha dealer and see if the YES Extended Warranty is already on your bike from the original owner. My 07 AE came with it and was transfered in my deal at no cost to me.

That 3 yr warranty ain't exactly free either. It's in the price of that bike somehwere...trust me.

It cost Hyundai A LOT of money to do their 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty a few years ago but they felt it was necessary to win back customers who got suckered into the 1986-1987 cars when they first arrived in the US.

If Yamaha has so much faith in the product why is the Canadian equivalent of the "YES" more than $1200.00.

Same bike isn't it?

Does the "YES" cover the ignition switch problems? With the fixes goimg on I'm guessing not.

That 3 yr warranty ain't exactly free either. It's in the price of that bike somehwere...trust me.It cost Hyundai A LOT of money to do their 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty a few years ago but they felt it was necessary to win back customers who got suckered into the 1986-1987 cars when they first arrived in the US.
Chrysler's "liftetime" powertrain warranty is interesting. Basically they're saying that they know something that's not covered will cause retirement before the engine/transmission.

...Either that or they knew they were going to be going bankrupt and would screw everybody over. :p

If Yamaha has so much faith in the product why is the Canadian equivalent of the "YES" more than $1200.00. Same bike isn't it?

Does the "YES" cover the ignition switch problems? With the fixes goimg on I'm guessing not.
Because the Y.E.S is offered by Yamaha-USA while the one available to our Northern brethren is from Yamaha-Canada. I suppose you'd have to ask THEM why. :unsure:

If Yamaha has so much faith in the product why is the Canadian equivalent of the "YES" more than $1200.00. Same bike isn't it?

Because the Y.E.S is offered by Yamaha-USA while the one available to our Northern brethren is from Yamaha-Canada. I suppose you'd have to ask THEM why. :unsure:
I did. The answer I got was "Because that's what the market will bear".

IMO, YES at $389 has got to be the cheapest extended warranty program I have even seen, especially when you consider the 5 yr coverage. Besides the protection offered to you, it also makes it easier to sell your bike down the road when you decide to upgrade. :)

I never but extended warranties but this is the one exception to that rule. While I didnt plunk down the money for my YES (I bought it used with 3+ yrs left on the warranty), I would if I ever bought one that was new.

Just my .02

Yamaha Canada also refuses to rectify the tick as they did in the States.

IMO, YES at $389 has got to be the cheapest extended warranty program I have even seen, especially when you consider the 5 yr coverage. Besides the protection offered to you, it also makes it easier to sell your bike down the road when you decide to upgrade. :) I never but extended warranties but this is the one exception to that rule. While I didnt plunk down the money for my YES (I bought it used with 3+ yrs left on the warranty), I would if I ever bought one that was new.

Just my .02
It does not cost $389 from the dealer, they are going to try and charge you $1000! They are not about to tell you where or how to get it for much cheaper.

IMO, YES at $389 has got to be the cheapest extended warranty program I have even seen, especially when you consider the 5 yr coverage. Besides the protection offered to you, it also makes it easier to sell your bike down the road when you decide to upgrade. :) I never but extended warranties but this is the one exception to that rule. While I didnt plunk down the money for my YES (I bought it used with 3+ yrs left on the warranty), I would if I ever bought one that was new.

Just my .02
It does not cost $389 from the dealer, they are going to try and charge you $1000! They are not about to tell you where or how to get it for much cheaper.
True, a dealer is not going to tell you that its available from D&H for $389 but that is what makes the internet and this forum so useful. It's amazing what a little bit of research on the internet can do for you before buying a big ticket item.

I did. The answer I got was "Because that's what the market will bear".
It doesn't retail for $389 here either. It's around $800, which is a lot closer to the $1,200CAN you mention (you guys always pay a premium it seems). But it can be negotiated, which is how I got mine for around $400.