Wave

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farkles

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
:yahoo: Just did a little over 100 miles on my new 07 Grin is still there. Now have a question?

Most bikers wave at each other when they pass which style is the one I should use being part of the eleite on a FJR?

1. The raise fingers off the handle bar?

2. Full up wave

3. Down by the side?

4. The nod? :clapping:

Any other suggestions?

I figgured this esteamed group could give me answer. :ph34r:

:yahoo: Just did a little over 100 miles on my new 07 Grin is still there. Now have a question? Most bikers wave at each other when they pass which style is the one I should use being part of the eleite on a FJR?

1. The raise fingers off the handle bar?

2. Full up wave

3. Down by the side?

4. The nod? :clapping:

Any other suggestions?

I figgured this esteamed group could give me answer. :ph34r:
i wave at 99.5% of riders. i don't do #1 and #4, as half the time i don't notice that when others do it to me. i just stick my hand out; not up, not down. i also wave at cops, fire engines, and ambulances. i figure there's a decent chance they'll be around to help me; i'd like to think not, but you never know. i also wave to the country folk when i'm zooming thru their neighborhood, aka the mountains; if i'm going to be riding faster than the posted speed limit in their back yard, that's the least i can do.

You could use TWN's
sig-Ticked.gif

I'll wave at anyone wearing proper riding equipment. I know, I'm an ass, but in my mind, I can't give the rider-to-rider 'right-on-man-we-both-love-bikes' wave to someone who doesn't take it seriously enough or respect the dangers enough to wear the gear. I'm not even an ATGATT snob, just a helmet, jacket, gloves and long pants.

I love to wave to kids, especially the ones that get all excited and wave spastically. I wave back just as enthusiastically and it makes my day.

I don't waiver on this issue... i always wave ... even if I pass wave after wave of riders.

I have been on double secret riding probation the last two and a half weeks from my aforementioned knee injury and have even caught myself waving at bikes from the car.

I have found that bringing my left hand up to just below my face with a wave or a peace sign works best for me while riding. Besides, if I were to wave out to the side at the speeds I typically travel my arm would immediately dislocate and flap around like a scarf. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stand up on the Saddle, wave furiously with both hands, maybe somebody will notice you before you crash.......

Or you could enroll in the Radman, Royal Princess School of Charm, and learn how to wave wearing a Tiara and fur stole....

I'll wave at anyone wearing proper riding equipment. I know, I'm an ass, but in my mind, I can't give the rider-to-rider 'right-on-man-we-both-love-bikes' wave to someone who doesn't take it seriously enough or respect the dangers enough to wear the gear. I'm not even an ATGATT snob, just a helmet, jacket, gloves and long pants. I love to wave to kids, especially the ones that get all excited and wave spastically. I wave back just as enthusiastically and it makes my day.
I don't have a problem with guys who don't where proper gear, their outcome will have no effect on me -- it's their problem not mine - to each their own.

As for the wave -- ALL of the above. In fact do them all in sequence and really blow their mind.

Besides, if I were to wave out to the side at the speeds I typically travel my arm would immediately dislocate and flap around like a scarf. :yahoo:
+1 :lol:

When two-up, I tell Eve to do all the waving.

I don't recommend this one. People will call you a Tool:

toolthumbs.jpg

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community, a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan.

Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets? God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them.

They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their Goldwings. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys? I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride an FJR, and I'll only wave at FJR guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Nope, guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers.

And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at those guys with the helmets with the loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet? Like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride FJRs, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?

Jb

[stolen from ???--Thanks, jwhite518]

Besides having my FJR I also have 3 scooters or mopeds, whatever you want to call them. When riding the scooter I truly revel in getting a Harley dude to wave, then have him quickly pull his hand back when he realizes that it a moped. I just laugh. I call the majority of Harley riders the "look at me crowd" with all the loud ass pipes and the I'm bad alter egos - I just laugh. I guess there mother didn't love them. As far as the wave goes-- I nod -- raise my fingers off of the clutch-- and when It quits raining in the Northwest and I get out on the bike for the first 60 degree day - I just giggle and wave like someone just let out of the nut house.

I would tell you all why Barabus is right, but it takes too long and most of you wouldn't read the whole thing.

The so called accepted MC wave is a point at an angle down, at the front tire of the bike you are passing. Most people just point where their front tire will be when the other back passes by (perpendicular to the direction of your own bike).

If I don't have time to wave for some reason. I nod.

If I miss a wave, I turn around and chase the bike down so I can wave (just kidding)

I also mostly wave like a parade princess because I want people to think I'm a newbie and be afraid of me. :lol:

I consider myself a pretty friendly type, I'll wave at about anyone. The Harley guys, the Gold wing guys, even the dorks on the crotch rockets with flip-flops on. But I'm not sure if I should wave at Trikes. I mean, if you wave at the 3-wheelers, then you might as well wave at dune buggies... and if you're waving at dune buggies, you might as well wave at jeeps.... and jeeps... hell might as well wave at anything.

I guess I need my wife to sew a 3rd sleeve on the left side of the jacket, fill it with stuffing so it stick out and down about 45 degrees, sew a glove on the end of it, and just wave to everyone! :rolleyes:

Issues JB? :hyper:
I hope no one missed the "stolen from" footnote in my tongue-in-cheek post. That's a kind of famous rant by I don't know who, which 518 recently sent me.

Anyway, did I miss it above, or has no one noted that what is being called the "peace" sign is really two fingers for two wheels. If you see a trike, you give them three fingers. Harley's are one finger. :D

Although I wave at just about everybody, I'm with the bloke above who doesn't wave at guys in shorts and Hawaiian shirts. We got nothin' in common. I also tend not to wave across freeway median barriers, though I get waved at a lot and often wave back. I just feel like I got too much going on in commute traffic. And oh yeah, I never wave at scooters, just because I'm a horse's arse. I also never wave at...or... :lol:

Jb