Weird 'hiccup'

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's best to wait till it's back, verify it seems to work, then try and get a new YES warranty from someone.

:blink:

Good grief Charlie Brown. What a disaster.

Not much else to be said, eh? Sorry doesn't help in the slightest and I'd be unglued about that kind of ineptitude. If my '05 ever has a problem like that (30k miles right now with no issues) I definitely don't see any reason to expect that I'll let the dealer do the work. I've got two that seem to be thought fairly well of not too far away--one in Huntington Beach, one in Rancho Cucamonga--but I've torn a 500 Interceptor down to the tranny before. I can do an FJR.

But sure hope I don't have to. And if I do you can bet I'd have the gears undercut before I put it back together.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Rancho

I've talked to several people on this problem as well (2006/12,000 miles).....The common answer is to build up the clutch dogs and undercut the gears. I have no idea what that is I'm just trying to repeat what they told me. Seems the price tag is $1000.00-$1500.00 I'm saving up as we speak..(I thought for sure I wouldn't need the extended warranty.) Oh well :(

Something tells me they have revised the parts. Like I said when I got it back - it was smoother than it had ever been, even on day 1 - while it lasted.

Update.

The dealer it's at now is no longer a Ride Now Dealer as of 1/1/10, they are now owned by Sky Powersports. That's probably a good thing. The transition did put them behind schedule at least a week though, not a huge deal.

I just called up for a status and talked to the very nice Service Manager. He said just today they bolted the rebuilt engine back tot he frame and I should expect a call to pick it up tomorrow. I'm not holding him to that because you never know and there's still a lot to put back on - but it's good news.

Unfortunately the work is only guaranteed for 90 days and my extended YES warranty runs out at the same time coincidentally.

He only had a generic contact number for Yamaha so now I need to work on a polite but firm draft of a letter to Yamaha to get another YES warranty. I don't feel confident in having so much of the bike rebuilt to own it without coverage, and obviously the value of the bike is squat now so I can't sell it.

Any tips would be appreciated here.

Update.Any tips would be appreciated here.
Wow, this has certainly been an ordeal.

Wish you the best.

Just because an engine's been worked on doesn't make it bad -- it could be better (it all lies in the hands and knowledge of the technician).

I think you'd want a complete/itemized list of all the parts that were replaced and the warranty hours charged to Yamaha -- just like a repair estimate/repair receipt (as if you were paying...).

Your FJR is still your personal property and you should have that record (I think?).

Good luck.

That's not the point. If in 4 months the engine blows because of a mistake like the one made at the last dealer a few months ago - I'm out of luck.

Now I have to break in a new engine and ride the piss out of it just to shake it down and get it to break in 3 months, if it's going to go.

Records are nice but a bike with a factory original engine that had 12k miles is worth more than one with a new rebuild.

That's not the point. If in 4 months the engine blows because of a mistake like the one made at the last dealer a few months ago - I'm out of luck.
Now I have to break in a new engine and ride the piss out of it just to shake it down and get it to break in 3 months, if it's going to go.

Records are nice but a bike with a factory original engine that had 12k miles is worth more than one with a new rebuild.
Any tips would be appreciated here.
So..., what kind of tips do you want...?

Tips on how to deal with Yamaha?

Tips on how to sell your bike to the insurance company?

Tips on how to get it to break -- in 3 months?

:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
What to say to Yamaha to get another YES so I feel comfortable keeping it. I didn't want it new without coverage, I sure don't want it rebuilt without coverage.

Well good news so far! Another $7,227 later in warranty work (it has now far exceeded the price of a new bike) it has a new engine! Literally everything but the case was replaced.

It rode fine on the way home, now to start break-in again.

I feel for you.

My bike spent 18 weeks getting a leaking head gasket replaced and Reno Power Sports. I got the run around as you did. During this time I heard it all, I was even told my bike was showing signs of valve to head clearance and may have a "ticking issue" and Yamaha may not pay as it is normal wear and tear. Yes, the service manager called it a ticking issue. I responded, the ticking issue was not on the 2nd generation bikes and with 25K on the bike this is not normal wear and tear. The next day, the dealer called me with good news, Yamaha would cover the valve to head clearance issue. During the check out process the manager had put a stack of papers on the counter. One of these papers had "Stripped two bolts while removing head, removed engine to drill" written on it. WHAT? I asked the service manager about it and was told they were stripped by the factory. After some debate I just dropped it and figured I will just contact Yamaha.

Within days the service light came on, then went off 45 seconds later. They test rode the bike and could not duplicate. Three days later I took it back for a engine light and they hooked it up to a computer and could not find a error code. When leaving the dealership my heated grips were on so I went to turn them off and the knob fell into the panel. I take it back and they promptly took in the shop to fix it. A couple minute later a guy comes from the back and says it will be ready soon they are putting the last six screws in. Hmmm, extra screws and I was sent out of here? I was told the tech forgot to put all the screws into the left panel.

I get a engine light about once a week now when I maintain a steady speed. If, I drop a gear and hit the gas the light goes off. I have taken it to them with the light on, they look at it, but tell me since there is not a error code they are not sure how to correct it. I have called Yamaha a couple times on this and I am told to take it to my dealer to be looked at.

Not trying to hijack your thread, I am just saying I understand the pain.

Well good news so far! Another $7,227 later in warranty work (it has now far exceeded the price of a new bike) it has a new engine! Literally everything but the case was replaced.
It rode fine on the way home, now to start break-in again.
Congratulations. Still good news?

You're now a couple weeks into your break-in process -- all is well? :unsure:

What to say to Yamaha to get another YES so I feel comfortable keeping it. I didn't want it new without coverage, I sure don't want it rebuilt without coverage.
How's that going?

Will you be covered under Y.E.S. after 90 days (parts/service warranty) are up? (Or, maybe? a different 3rd party insurance?) :unsure:

Some may say that Yamaha has fulfilled their contractual obligations (under Y.E.S.) to repair your failed motorcycle.

(That is -- if all is well...?)

No reply from Yamaha.

So far so good, only have 400 miles on it though, not broken in yet. It's been cold and I have not had a lot of time yet to get out and just put miles on it. Seems like every trip the last week I've needed the car for :(

The 90 days started when I picked it up. My YES will run out just before the 90 days, in March.

No reply from Yamaha.
So far so good, only have 400 miles on it though, not broken in yet. [SIZE=14pt]It's been cold [/SIZE]and I have not had a lot of time yet to get out and just put miles on it. Seems like every trip the last week I've needed the car for :(

The 90 days started when I picked it up. My YES will run out just before the 90 days, in March.
DOOD!!! You're an hour and a half away from me and yer blamin' the cold??? Did I miss sumpin'? Did it snow over on the coast? Or you just spendin' too much time with them Greek hotties in Tarpon Springs? [SIZE=8pt](the ones withOUT mustaches :blum: )[/SIZE]