Well #@*%, when it rains it does pour

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, is there a puddle then? Keithaba can be pretty dense sometimes and not ask pacific questions........

Ok, is there a puddle then? Keithaba can be pretty dense sometimes and not ask pacific questions........
No. No puddle. No pile. No pool. No drip, or drop.

But for clarification I didn't think his question was unclear at all. I knew what he was refering to.

ahhh pile/puddle. It's almost the same as pacific/specific. ;)

Oh yeah, if you do pull the panels, check the coolant level before you heat up the bike. You don't want to run the bike if all the coolant did leak out.

After you verify there is still coolant, and no major holes in your radiator, let it idle up to operating temp (about 3 bars). If you can't see the coolant, fill it up with your usual 50/50 distilled water/coolant. You may not find a leak without it being hot enough.

Let us know if you find anything.

Edit* Dude, we rag on each other, it's just what we do. Try not to take anything personal on this forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd check the tire pressure again just to make sure.........
Absolutely one of the most profound recommendations I have read on this forum. Spot on diagnostics with such little information. Remarkable and its not even Friday!

odot: Your wisdom and advice makes this forum indispensable.

It's not even Friday and you guys have me rolling already. My Datel meter is showing only 13.2 volts, I should probably check the tires!

Update

So I strip off the plastic to find where the leak is coming from. I pour in some water and turn on the bike.

I'm looking at the hoses on the left side and for a little while everything looks fine. But, I know better.

Sure enough, once the bike warms up I begin to see water dribbling. I believe I've tracked down the guilty hose, but I can't see the actual leak.

At the filler neck of the radiator, there's two small hoses. A thin one which is closest to the filler cap and then a slightly thicker one. This thicker one also has a rubber sleeve. It snakes down between the radiator next to a wire cluster and slips underneath the frame and fro there I can't see where it goes or where it attaches to.

I disconnected both of the small hoses and poured a little water down the first thin one. nada.

I did the same with the second hose and saw water leak out from ... somewhere.

At this point I'm stuck. Any help, knowledge, direction to an informational link... a magical godmother, ... anything.. :fie:

The small top hose goes across the motorcycle to the overflow bottle. The lower hose (thicker) goes to the thermostat that is located above the valve cover, almost over the exhaust outlet, it is the 'thermostat breather' hose. This hose doesn't see much pressure until the thermostat opens.

Thanks for the fast info Ion. I don't see where that breather hose goes and I'm not sure how to get to it.

Does anyone have experience with replacing the hose or the thermostate?

Thanks for the fast info Ion. I don't see where that breather hose goes and I'm not sure how to get to it. Does anyone have experience with replacing the hose or the thermostate?
You have to pull up the tank, remove your T-bar (on the bike), remove the A.I.R hoses, plug wires, unplug a few connectors (wiring) and push them out of the way.............test again for the leak.

There are a bunch of links that give a pictorial view of how to do all of that. Google valve clearance site:fjrforum.com

I realize you don't have to do the valve clearance, but it will show you how get to the thermostat.

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Oh.....BTW.....did you check the tire pressure first?? :blink:

EDIT : here it is............

https://fjr1300.info/howto/valveadj.html

The small top hose goes across the motorcycle to the overflow bottle. The lower hose (thicker) goes to the thermostat that is located above the valve cover, almost over the exhaust outlet, it is the 'thermostat breather' hose. This hose doesn't see much pressure until the thermostat opens.
And I was unfortunate enough to find out what happens when those two hoses are reversed - Thanks to the dealer that did my main wiring harness repair. When reversed, the FJR didn't overheat and cooling system acted normal, except for it's new proclivity to shit coolant out the reservoir overflow sometimes when really hot, or more frequently - a minute or so after shut down. Took me a freaking week to find out what the problem was, but now all is well once again.

Update
So I strip off the plastic to find where the leak is coming from. I pour in some water and turn on the bike.

I'm looking at the hoses on the left side and for a little while everything looks fine. But, I know better.

Sure enough, once the bike warms up I begin to see water dribbling. I believe I've tracked down the guilty hose, but I can't see the actual leak.

At the filler neck of the radiator, there's two small hoses. A thin one which is closest to the filler cap and then a slightly thicker one. This thicker one also has a rubber sleeve. It snakes down between the radiator next to a wire cluster and slips underneath the frame and fro there I can't see where it goes or where it attaches to.

I disconnected both of the small hoses and poured a little water down the first thin one. nada.

I did the same with the second hose and saw water leak out from ... somewhere.

At this point I'm stuck. Any help, knowledge, direction to an informational link... a magical godmother, ... anything.. :fie:
Don't know if you have the same problem, but a time back I had a slight coolant leak that turned out was coming from the thermostat itself.

Here's a thread I did when I had my leak: Coolant Leak

There are a few photos on the 2nd page.

Thank you for the information and links. I'm not a wiz with climbing around engines but I'll give this a try if I don't get home too late tonight.

....ODOT is damaged goods..." (not ask pacific questions...)"...... "but he is our damaged goods''... :yahoo:

UPDATE:

Firstly, I do NOT have the hands for this kind of work. I also barely have the right tools. The garage faces the sun and it's hot, hot, hot, and (I bet you couldn't guess) I'm not in a good mood.

Now with that out of the way. I got the tank tied back. the T bar out of the way, the wires moved and all that stuff. I had to poke, jiggle things, and fidiget for a long time before I could figure out where that darn hose connected. I finally found it and took it out. It's a preformed hose with a rubber re-enforcing collar to keep it from breaking. That collar works. The hose broke right at the edge of the collar. Nice. :angry2:

I really wonder if I'll be able to thread the new one up into the guts of the bike. I can see where each end of the hose is but the 'in between' is blocked from my view.

I better order a couple of these because, with my luck, I'll break one of them trying to put it in.

Is there a place where I can find out what the part number is for this?

I couldn't have made it this far without the great help from you guys. Honestly, thank you.

For those of you who work on your own bikes, I don't know how you have the patience for it.