Well #@*%, when it rains it does pour

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE:
(snip)

I better order a couple of these because, with my luck, I'll break one of them trying to put it in.

Is there a place where I can find out what the part number is for this?

I couldn't have made it this far without the great help from you guys. Honestly, thank you.

For those of you who work on your own bikes, I don't know how you have the patience for it.
Try this. It's the schematic for the radiator from bikebandit.com. Your hose should be shown there. Put that web site in your favorites. Better yet, register and save your bike for quick reference. I'm a pretty half-assed mechanic myself, but between the (mostly) incredibly knowledgeable and helpful folks here and bikebandit.com, I've been able to tackle this monster.

Another question that I don't recall seeing you mention: I know you're past the trouble-shooting phase and have found the problem source, but did you have low coolant levels in the radiator or overflow bottle? I'm just curious how fast you were losing coolant and if the bike ran with a low coolant level. Good luck. I'm sure that routing that hose is going to be a bitch, but at least you found the problem and it's a relatively simple fix, instead of a hole in your radiator or low tire-pressure or something like that.

Swingman Sends

EDIT: I'm also asking because the other day I smelled a faint coolant odor when I was riding slow. I parked the bike and took the car to work, then later in the day I took off the plastic and thoroughly inpected the whole system (as much as I could see) and found no evidence of low coolant, or leaking coolant or anything. If your hose is leaking VERY slowly, I could have a similar problem which would explain the smell, but no other evidence of coolant leaking. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:
(snip)

I better order a couple of these because, with my luck, I'll break one of them trying to put it in.

Is there a place where I can find out what the part number is for this?

I couldn't have made it this far without the great help from you guys. Honestly, thank you.

For those of you who work on your own bikes, I don't know how you have the patience for it.
Try this. It's the schematic for the radiator from bikebandit.com. Your hose should be shown there. Put that web site in your favorites. Better yet, register and save your bike for quick reference. I'm a pretty half-assed mechanic myself, but between the (mostly) incredibly knowledgeable and helpful folks here and bikebandit.com, I've been able to tackle this monster.

Another question that I don't recall seeing you mention: I know you're past the trouble-shooting phase and have found the problem source, but did you have low coolant levels in the radiator or overflow bottle? I'm just curious how fast you were losing coolant and if the bike ran with a low coolant level. Good luck. I'm sure that routing that hose is going to be a bitch, but at least you found the problem and it's a relatively simple fix, instead of a hole in your radiator or low tire-pressure or something like that.

Swingman Sends

EDIT: I'm also asking because the other day I smelled a faint coolant odor when I was riding slow. I parked the bike and took the car to work, then later in the day I took off the plastic and thoroughly inpected the whole system (as much as I could see) and found no evidence of low coolant, or leaking coolant or anything. If your hose is leaking VERY slowly, I could have a similar problem which would explain the smell, but no other evidence of coolant leaking. Thanks.
singman3, I can tell you it was anything but a slow leak. No, if you had the same problem as me you'd see it very easily.