What bike complements an FJR the most?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robedge

Reaction score
Right now, it's just the FJR, but I'm thinking of getting a lighter, smaller bike for my short daily commute and in general for riding around town. Maneuverability at slower speeds, ease of use, comfort wearing normal clothes and lightness are my main criteria.

What are the best bikes I should consider for this role?

Thanks!

I don't know if you're interested in this type of bike, but if I had the money, I'd like a Buell Ulysess for a utility type bike. Almost bought a Buell, before I saw the light, in the first place; glad the ultimate decision was FJR, but number two might just be that V-twin. JMO

We have had similar questions come up before and it seems to turn out a lot like asking other people to try on a pair of shoes for you. There are so many factors that make a bike just right for you and that same bike may not fit me in any of those criteria.

Some folks like to complement their FJR with a sport bike, in particular an R1, but in some cases the R6 or even another brand suits. The FZ1 is also popular among FJR owners. The Suzuki V-strom 650 would make a very nice bike for the purposes you describe if you like a more upright riding position, and it can also be used for fire roads and other adventure touring purposes.

I am not normally motivated by brand loyalty but I currently have 2 bikes, both Yamahas, and I am very happy with the quality and reliability of both so my next bike is likely to be another Yamaha. Incidently, my 'other bike' is an '83 Maxim 750 which I almost never ride now that I have an FJR.

So you see, it all depends. I suggest you look at, sit on, and test ride whenever possible, as many bikes as you can and come back with a couple you like. Then the people who have those bikes can share their experiences. Besides, it is always fun to see what's out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd add a dual-sport to the stable for a second bike. Then I could explore all the nice trails in my neck of the woods as well. A sport bike is a tempting mistress but I think I'd leave it behind more often than not with the FJR available.

It was a tough decision for me between the moped that does a hundred miles an hour and the feejer. Saddlebags won out, though.

DRZ400. S if you think you might do a little dirt, SM otherwise. Light, cheap, stone ax simple, everything the FJR isn't. The perfect "bomb around town" bike.

- Mark

Is anyone noticing that dual sports seem to be leading over sport bikes as a secondary mount?....does that mean we're getting old? :blink:

Well, first, I think it depends on where you live, what you want to do with it, and what locally accessible riding opportunities present themselves to make enough use of it.

IF I only had the FJR, I think no. 2 would be a dual sport. Maybe a KTM 950, maybe a V-strom -- not sure, since I haven't actively pursued buying one. Since I have an XX (or two), a dual sport would be my bike no. 3 -- ahead of a sport bike or MX bike.

For me, a true sport bike is too uncomfortable to ride all day, and I doubt I could afford to ride something like an R1 very long before the citations piled up and made my insurance unaffordable.

The XX is a great second bike. Big enough and comfortable enough to ride it all day, and with soft luggage, to tour on it (though the FJR easily wins the long distance multi day comfort competition for me), yet faster and more nimble than the FJR for more twisties fun. Or maybe I'm just in love with the way it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now, it's just the FJR, but I'm thinking of getting a lighter, smaller bike for my short daily commute and in general for riding around town.  Maneuverability at slower speeds, ease of use, comfort wearing normal clothes and lightness are my main criteria.
If you add reasonable cost, long tire life, long distance comfort, ability to ride double and travel off pavement then you would be describing a 650 V-Strom.

Right now, it's just the FJR, but I'm thinking of getting a lighter, smaller bike for my short daily commute and in general for riding around town.   Maneuverability at slower speeds, ease of use, comfort wearing normal clothes and lightness are my main criteria.
If you add reasonable cost, long tire life, long distance comfort, ability to ride double and travel off pavement then you would be describing a 650 V-Strom.
Yep. I forgot about that one. A 650 V-Strom would definitely make an excellent 2nd scoot depending on your needs/desires.

Is anyone noticing that dual sports seem to be leading over sport bikes as a secondary mount?....does that mean we're getting old? :blink:
Nope, not at all. Sportbikes are great for their intended purpose of going fast and tearing up twisty roads. They are less than ideal for poking around town. Dual sports are much better bikes for that.

Now, if your looking for a bike to compliment your FJR, I would say get one that will answer "No" when the FJR asks it if the saddlebags make its butt look fat. :p

So many choices - might look at a Warrior - I kind of like the VFR - also the FZ6 is IMO a great 2nd bike to do what you were describing - you can pick one up for around $6k and if you don't like it after a year you can most likely unload it without losoing your shirt. A set of Givi's and a tour trunk and you've got a great weekender too.

FriscoJim: have you thought of maybe getting an older bike to restore for around town & being a hooligan... :D I have an 1983 cb1100f European model for just such a purpose with 3 different motors :p ..it's a good conversation piece & a blast to ride around town...including short hops....."Have fun...ride safe" B)