What bike complements an FJR the most?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope someone has better luck than I have in figuring out what a good second bike is.

So far, since April of last year when I got rid of my '02 FZ1 because it was too much like the '04 FJR, and sat unused in the garage:

a 2000 Kawasaki KLR 650-- off road not my thing, and I'd rather ride the FJR on pavement, lasted 2 months sitting in the garage

a 2000 Kawasaki W650-- fun for the short ride, but I seemed to rather ride the FJR, lasted 6 months sitting you know where

and now, a 2006 V Strom 650, bought last week... we'll see how long it lasts.

I almost jumped for a FZ6, but thought the Strom might fit that spot I'm looking for and can't quite hit.

So many bikes, so little time.

I voted for an older rehab project; +1 on Mike-H comment.

Img_4101-770.jpg

Nice early XS Twil. PM me if you're interested in a beautiful full chrome headlight shell, trim ring and mount ears.

Twilkin 650...Don't you find in some ways its more satisfying to have the older bike as a secondary ride....If nothing else you definitely appreciate the difference between old & new...& like I said before there a blast to ride :D

In the same arena as OrangvaleFJR I would say however the Suzuki GSXR-750, for a sport bike it is the same frame as the 600 with much better low end torque for real world riding.

As others have said the SV-650 with the optional lowers for a V-Twin.

2006 FZ1 with optional lowers for better ergos than a R1 or the GSXR.

And my second bike my WR250F Yamaha :D

Perfect second bike: Norton Commando

It's light, easy to ride, handles great. Plus it vibrates, leaks oil, has a kick starter, and needs a fair share of TLC and wrenchin'. Sounds really cool, and not too many of them around, but parts are easier than ever to find via the internet.

It complements the FJR perfectly, because it's everything the FJR isn't - they're almost polar opposites. As much as I like the FJR, it's also nice to have a bike that needs me as much as I need it. It's good to have something old and crude (by today's standards). Helps keep things in perspective.

Oh, and that nasty Prince of Darkness? He can be banished with a spool of solder, some wire, and a long afternoon. :agent:

Radman, I'll keep it bookmarked, but probably leave it box stock. At my recent visit to the Barber Museum in Leeds, Alabama, I spotted an XS-2 in better shape than mine, but it had more miles than mine. Mine has only 4,900 miles and I was the first one to adjust the valves........... :)

Rode one last season...nice bike but definitely underpowered for the dough <_<
Yea, DR's are not the most peppy for their CC size. Other bikes of the same cc's are much more powerful.

A friend of mine has one because he is very short and it fits him better than other bikes of the same cc's...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a FZ6 Yamaha to compliment the FJR. Its a lot differen and very lite. Very different and almost the same color as the Blue '05. I have only had the FZ6 for a week now.

Owned a drz400s...just not big enough for extended freeway use - and the battery kept losing charge (but great over speed bumps and in the dirt it had a "magic carpet ride"). Replaced it with the wee strom (650). Just enough to blast around and not get into too much trouble. Actually, the strom with a corbin and calci screen is the first choice for long freeway rides due to its riding position. When I am lazy or taking the kids for a spin, its the Burgman 650. Givi box transferable to all three. However, I lust for a new GT1000 (Duc). Just my 2cents.

Mark

Isn't the V-strom in the same class as the KLR 650?
Not even close in my opinion. I've owned a KLR650 and though they look like dirt bikes, believe me, they're not. It's the most under powered 650 I've ever ridden and you can't gain more than maybe 2 HP no matter how much money you dump into it. Same goes for the suspension. And though some people have ridden Alaska to Baja on KLR's, I think they suck on the open road too. One thing they are is durable, especially with all the aftermarket guards and armor. I rolled mine down a cliff on one insanely exhausting day on the Rubicon, only got scuffs and minor dents, and rode home keeping up with a group of sport bikes down Icehouse Road. That's the one other thing it does well. It handles twisties as good or better than most any sport bike. But then pretty much any dirt bike will as long as you're willing to lean. But the instant the road straightens out at all, sport bikes get real small real quick.

As for the V-Strom, I think it would make a damn fine long range touring machine but I wouldn't take it anywhere I wouldn't drive a car. You might be surprised where I can get a car into though...

In my experience, the main thing that keeps most "dual Sport" bikes from doing any one thing really well is gearing. If the gearing is set up to be slow enough on really technical single track in 1st gear, you'll be lucky to make 55 mph in high gear without your engine exploding. It's usually just a matter of changing the front sprocket but that's a pain in the ass after a while.

I'll have to throw in with the DRZ400 crowd here. They're pretty sweet out of the box and there's a lot you can do with the suspension and power. If you can find a street legal WR400/426/450, they're even better (dirt wise) in my opinion.

I made a 500 mile round trip to San Antonio, Tx. to help one of my friends pick up a 2005 SV650 e-Bay special this morning. We were going to pick it up in a truck, but he called me early in the morning to say that he couldn't get the truck started and we would either have to cancel for this weekend or I''d have to ride the SV from San Antonio to Houston :D . I tried to sound disappointed, and then hustled to meet him with all my gear for the trip over.

We found the bike to be in good shape, and had only a few minor problems that were quickly worked out, so I got in a good 230 mile ride this afternoon. This example had only 1450 miles on the clock, and so was barely broken in. We decided to take I-10 most of the way to speed up the trip, and even at that it was a hoot! This bike has lots of good power above 4,000 rpm, and by 7,000 it really moves. Plenty of passing power without downshifting, from speeds from 70-90. It was really pretty smooth above 5,000 rpm with a bit of a tingle in the seat and pegs, but none to speak of in the bars.

The crosswinds weren't too bad, but I did get blown around a lot more on this lighter bike than on the FJR. Even the stock seat wasn't too bad. The wind pressure below 70 wasn't bad at all, and certainly tolerable for short blasts above 85.

Quite an interesting ride........maybe I can talk him out of it if he buys a larger bike in a few years. :)

My KLR 650 always complements my FJR, by saying "you look fast today" or " nice silver color" and such. Can't beat a slightly used KLR with a FMF quiet(not really) muffler for fun arond town or out on a back road. Cheap bike that runs and runs.

Actually the question should be which bike to FIRST compliment the FJR.

You'll need several to have a well rounded stable. My recommendations (of course I'm biased)

1) Sportbike -- get an Aprilia Mille, or a R1

2) Dual-Purp-- get a DRZ400s

3) Cruiser -- get something..

those 3 will compliment the Sport Tourer very well!

:rolleyes: