What bike complements an FJR the most?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would check out the new FZ1. It would be perfect. Or an R1 if you really want to get crazy!

-r

Last edited by a moderator:
My "other" bike is a motocrosser.

However, for another street bike to use primarily for short runs, I would consider the following:

VFR

FZ1

KTM Adventure

YZF600

Triumph SpeedTriple

Aprilia Tuono

These are all very different styles of bikes. I had a YZF600 prior to the FJR and wish I still had it. VERY fun and easy to get along with.

Unfortunately this is not going to happen. Damn retirement planning!!!

I'll throw in another vote for the SV650. Once you have one.......you'll always have one. I'll probably be buried with mine.

Although like others here have said......if your into dirt, go with a DRZ400S.

Definitely the DL650 Suzuki V-Strom. It's what the FJR isn't but will still allow straight-up riding with more comfort than other bikes in it's class.

I think these are the two other bikes that I think complement the FJR the best:

For short runs, more nimble and just bad ass: R6

9390015621_r6.jpg

and for off road, adventure touring the Adventure 950:

scadv950s.jpg

If pushed for a 3rd, I go with a GL1800

If the R6 is too much sport, then the SV650, DL650 or FZ6

And any kewlio supermoto like the DRZ400...what was that about retirement?

Thanks for all the great suggestions -- so many bikes, so little time!

What, no Ducatiasti in the ranks? No Beemer lovers? And only one Triumph mention? Looks like the land of the rising sun wins out! Glad at least one Buell suggestion as I do have my eye on the Ulysses and like the idea of buying American if possible. (And yes I know most of the parts come from all over the world, but it's still an American company and creats the illusion of supporting American workers. Is that such a bad thing?)

Thanks y'all!

RobEdge

So, is a V-Strom capable in the dirt? It's advertised as a dual sport but it looks pretty street-heavy and cumbersome. The Suzuki DRZ looks a lot more capable but such a small fuel tank...

toecutter.....back to the V-strom....my question still stands...whats wrong with the triumph :dribble:

So, is a V-Strom capable in the dirt? It's advertised as a dual sport but it looks pretty street-heavy and cumbersome. The Suzuki DRZ looks a lot more capable but such a small fuel tank...
While not a single-track trail bike, the V-Stroms will do light dirt fine if fitted with good tires (e.g., TKC80s). The DL650 represents an amazing bargain of a do-everything motorcycle.

The DRZ tank is small, but that's solveable with a $130 Clarke tank that gets you to 3.9 gallons. Easy bolt on.

- Mark

While not a single-track trail bike, the V-Stroms will do light dirt fine if fitted with good tires (e.g., TKC80s). The DL650 represents an amazing bargain of a do-everything motorcycle.

The DRZ tank is small, but that's solveable with a $130 Clarke tank that gets you to 3.9 gallons. Easy bolt on.

- Mark
Yah, I have a friend with a DR650 and he found a 5.5 gallon aftermarket tank for it.

167 in a 50? A little slow eh? The 2nd bike should be good for better than than 167. Wussie.

2nd bike. Wow. That one's WIDE open. A used XX or Busa might be fun...

And oh yeah, I saw a new FZ-1 in the dealership recently - nice.

Living in So. Oregon a dualsport definitly wins out. DRS400S or KLR650. My XR250L is just to small on the pavement. Sv650 or Vstrom 650(miss my Vstrom1000) would be fine choices also.

Hey guys! Saw this thread and couldn't resist.

I just recently made a down payment on a new 06FZ1 for $8,700 OTD.

The most bang for the buck, I think. Claimed 150hp @ 11,000rpm & 438lbs dry.

fz1_red_3sized.jpg

My only problem is that I'm still waiting to take delivery like so many of you FJR waiters and if I'd known it was going to take months to get I probably would have held out for an 06 FJR.

I may still try to get an 07 FJR next year if it's available in faster Red. :p

RB in T

Agree with Zorkler...for what you outlined and especially with the "normal clothes" criterion, a Vespa should do it. Was my first motorized two-wheeler in 1958! However, for what I want in a second bike, I picked the SV650 (paid $5800 last year, new, OTD). Practical, flickable fun little all around bike and for me, a no-brainer! Big grin every time I ride it. But after visiting the Ducati dealer today I have to admit that I am absolutely craving the new Monster S2R 1000! It's like thinking about having sex with the young hottie down the street...so many reasons not to go there, but hard to stop thinking about it! What a sexy bike!!! I'm gonna go take a cold shower and try to come to my senses. Did I mention that it's about $5K less than an S4R?

Hey guys! Saw this thread and couldn't resist.
I just recently made a down payment on a new 06FZ1 for $8,700 OTD.

The most bang for the buck, I think. Claimed 150hp @ 11,000rpm & 438lbs dry.

fz1_red_3sized.jpg

My only problem is that I'm still waiting to take delivery like so many of you FJR waiters and if I'd known it was going to take months to get I probably would have held out for an 06 FJR.

I may still try to get an 07 FJR next year if it's available in faster Red. :p

RB in T
Retail is $9100, where and how did you manage that deal??? With tax/title/tags it would be at least $9700.

Man I always get screwed

Sparky3008Retail is $9100, where and how did you manage that deal??? With tax/title/tags it would be at least $9700.

Man I always get screwed
Hey sparky,

It is a good deal, but OTD is where the Virginia dealer turns the keys over to me

with a temporary tag and I have 30 days to take care of the title fee, tags,

and 7% Tennessee vehicle sales tax.

That's still a pretty good deal ...I ain't complainin' except for being a "waiter".

I coulda had an FJR! ...but it's all good, and I plan to crash the EOM on my little

red Fizzer just to swap a few bike tales and meet some of the guys here.

I can hardly wait. :D

If you would like the web site of the VA Yamaha dealer I'm getting my bike from

let me know. They've been in business a VERY long time for a reason.

They take good care of their customers.

Roger B in Tennessee