What can Yamaha do to Improve the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get the drain bolts on the forks. Yes, it makes it easier to drain but there is no way you are going to get all the old stuff flushed out nearly as well as removing the forks to do the job right.

Like WWWobble says, the bike is too heavy. Lose at least 100 pounds. Plus everything else that was mentioned except Iggy's idea to make it heavier.

The bike is too heavy.

The side cases are not huge, but seriously, how big do you want them to be? Holding a XL helmet, okay, but I certainly do not want 2 giant samsonites hanging off the side. It is a FJR, not a freaking rickshaw.
How is it gonna lose 100 pounds? And still be legitimate. This reminds me of a conversation I had with a Bicycle dealer. He built custom bikes and I thought about buying the components and building one for myself. He told me to remember this one thing. Bicycles can be 2 of the 3 following things, but not all three. Light, Durable, Inexpensive. This applies to the FJR world as well. It is not an R3. I am sure the FJR-SS version could be made to weigh 465 pounds, but it would be made of unobtanium, carbon fiber, and magnesium. OH the bitching we would hear about the price.

The suggestions of some on here like Pants are reasonable and would not cost much in development or production. Stick with what is doable or stick a sock in it.
Bosch-Corded-Hammer-Drill.jpg

It's a good weight for what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paint. Bright fresh wonderful paint. Yellows and Black, Oranges and White. Something besides the stodgy ol man grays and blues and.....
But those colors all fit you just fine my fine soggy old friend!
smile.png
But we do need another Black Cherry and maybe something special for you like a reverse...................

Just leave the damn thing alone. If you want to whine about what it needs fire up your own factory and build what you want. JSNS.
Gawd, Thank You. STFU already!! Oh, waaaaaaaah, I want it to have what this other bike has. I want it to be 50lbs and still less than $20k. Here's what I tell my guys: Don't come to me with a problem, without an idea to solve that same problem.

Send your awesome solutions to Yamaha. Maybe they'll reward you with some stock options.

Agree to disagree. I'm an anal perfectionists. It's in my DNA - I can't help it....

I did share my thoughts with a Yamaha executive at COTA last year. The solutions to my suggestions are self-explanatory, and they are achievable at little or no cost. I don't think he really gave 2 shits, though.

I do think the little things make a difference. If you look at the overall difference between a 2003 FJR and a 2016 FJR, especially from the untrained eye, it really doesn't amount to much. But after riding these bikes for 100,000 miles, I'm sure you will agree that there is a WORLD of difference based on the small refinements.

I have only one major thing that the FJR really needs and that is an RPM independent, hydraulically compensated valve lash system. This would mean we would have no reason to spend hours and hours removing and replacing the tupperware.

For me, no need for self-cancelling turn signals I have developed the habit of 1)turn signal on, 2)complete turn (or lane change), 3)turn signal off. Works every time.

Other niceties (but not necessities):

1) Complete owner configurable dash. Have a PC laptop utility for this if necessary and allow the owner to configure the dash according to personal preference (speedo type and location, tach type and location, fuel gauge, etc.). I would like to have the option of having a manifold pressure readout, a compass and maybe even an altimeter (yes, I am a pilot).

2) Two Powerlet connectors on a convenient bracket with high amperage fuses (or circuit breakers) to handle heated clothing or air compressor.

3) Seats and windshields are personal items and are best left to the individual rider. I have no problem with this.

4) Far more ergonomic adjustments. We are not a "one size fits all" riding demographic. All four wheeled vehicles have had this for decades, why not motorcycles - especially those that are likely to be slab-droning for hours and hours.

5) Change the casting die for the left engine cover to add a small horizontal fin under the oil filter so oil doesn't run down the side of the engine (making a stinking mess) when you remove the oil filter.

6) TPMS only if it has external sensors with owner replaceable watch-type batteries.

7) Giant horns. And I mean giant.

8) Grease packed and fully sealed needle bearings on the rear shock struts for lifetime lubrication.

9) Heated tank side panels so I can pinch the tank and warm my inner thighs.

10) Get rid of the coolant thermostat and engine driven water pump and have a variable speed, brushless DC motor magnetically coupled to a coolant impeller whose speed is determined by coolant heat sensors. Fully optimized, real-time engine temperature management.

I am not going to disassemble the front forks to change the oil. Even if drain plugs don't get it all, I don't mind changing the oil three or four times to get all the oil replaced.

I have no problem accepting the motorcycle as it is, it is the finest motorcycle (by far) that I have ever owned in my 56 years of riding. I've touched up the details to my liking (seat, windshield, handlebars, horns, etc.) so I'm cool with it as it is. I'm just finding that as I get older, I like working on vehicles less and less. Fluid and filter changes, fine but I really hate to be facing valve adjustment intervals.

Dan

A stock seat that doesn't feel like a friggin board...16K plus for a new bike that hurts your butt, BS..

The old school, Kenny Roberts, "Bumble Bee" paint job (like the RZ's) would be HOT!!

Fork drain screws.

Helmet locks would be nice...

Wouldn't take but welding two plates to the sub-frame and bolting up two locks..

At least one BMW style electrical outlet for heated clothing, air compressor, charging(hot all the time)

mounted on the left side, absolutely necessary..

Maybe they could use better glue on the saddle bag Yamaha logo so it doesn't fall off from sitting in the hot summer sun...and a compass would be nice....other than that it's a great bike and mine even has a real color.......ff

Make it just like a 2002 Aprilia RST1000,

but with a bigger windscreen plus trunk capability.

^^^^^Puke! I hope your kidding. Lol. Do you want that with the same support system? Same chain drive? You do know, one can be had cheap. Actually considered a "bargain" by many MC magazines. Not giving up my IL4 and electric windscreen for any Aprilia, with the closest dealer being in Phoenix.

^^^^ Not kidding. I have one. My favorite bike of six.

And I wish my FJR was more like it, due to the Ape's incredible seat, light weight, and sporty handling. All FJR weak points.

And if Yamaha made such a bike, it would then have a good dealer network,

and the bike would be reliable. Like an FJ-09 with Sport styling instead of ADV styling.

^^^^ My favorite bike of six. And I wish my FJR was more like it, due to the Ape's incredible seat, light weight, and sporty handling. All FJR weak points. And if Yamaha made such a bike, it would then have a good dealer network, and the bike would be reliable.
Yamaha did! Mid sized, 95 HP, 14k red line, 6 speed, water cooled, handles great, upright seating and Yamaha dependability: