What can Yamaha do to Improve the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All very sound suggestions, but you're missing the obvious one!

I WANNA FRICKEN JET PACK. LIKE NITROUS INJECTION ONLY MUCH COOLER. AND i CAN TAKE IT OFF AND STRAP IT TO MY BACK LIKE JAMES BOND (FOR US OLD FARTS WHO REMEMBER SHIT LIKE THAT).

JSNF

Auto cancelling turn signals of course. For us forgetful ones that wake up in a new world everyday.

1. Luggage slightly larger to be able to hold extra large helmet, + extras

Mostly having to do with programming stuff.

more preset levels for the grip heaters.

Voltage display available.

A compass.

Much larger saddlebags, a functional luggage rack, and 2 helmet locks.
All good points, and would only increase how often I could take the bike for the many errands trips.

For me, it's the little things. None of which (or the sum of which) would deter me from buying another one - today.

1. Call Bridgestone and tell them it's been a nice run, but take the train. Then call Michelin, and cut the deal. Net cost increase per bike .... maybe $25.00.

2. Email the worker that is in charge of painting the wheels and attach a coupon for a ticket on the Bridgestone train. Bribe the Honda powder coating dude to wear a mini-cam to work, steal their secrets for providing a wheel finish that actually can be touched without scratching off, and implement the change immediately. Net cost increase per bike... $0.15.

3. Add 5 lines of code to the PROM software that deals with the LCD display and make the grip heaters 10-step adjustable. Net cost increase per bike.... Zippedy- Do Da.

4. Re-locate the Yamaha test rider, who is obviously 5'-1" tall, but has an inseam of 34" to the assembly line. He/she would be a better fit assembling the front area of the fairing. Once a normal sized test rider is procured, then perhaps the bike will get a windscreen that is somewhere in the vicinity of the zipcode of appropriate, saving EVERY SINGLE BUYER of the bike from having to spend another $200.00 on a windscreen, or $400.00 for two, or $600.00 for three, before finding the one that works. Net cost increase per bike.... Zippo

5. Convince Yamaha that the demographic that buys an FJR is a seasoned rider that knows what a liter bike can do, and certainly knows that the front brake does 80% of the stopping. Then flip/flop the linked brake system to allow partial rear/full front with the pull of the front handle, instead of what we have now. Net cost increase per bike...... (crickets)

6. I'd like self-canceling turn signals too. Net cost increase per bike - not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Black and yellow Yamaha livery; straight-up old school, no "modern interpretation," please.

With the 2016 improvements already in place, I'd only have to add my custom seat and a tablet-based Nav system.

Like WWWobble says, the bike is too heavy. Lose at least 100 pounds. Plus everything else that was mentioned except Iggy's idea to make it heavier.

The side cases are not huge, but seriously, how big do you want them to be? Holding a XL helmet, okay, but I certainly do not want 2 giant samsonites hanging off the side. It is a FJR, not a freaking rickshaw.

How is it gonna lose 100 pounds? And still be legitimate. This reminds me of a conversation I had with a Bicycle dealer. He built custom bikes and I thought about buying the components and building one for myself. He told me to remember this one thing. Bicycles can be 2 of the 3 following things, but not all three. Light, Durable, Inexpensive. This applies to the FJR world as well. It is not an R3. I am sure the FJR-SS version could be made to weigh 465 pounds, but it would be made of unobtanium, carbon fiber, and magnesium. OH the bitching we would hear about the price.

The suggestions of some on here like Pants are reasonable and would not cost much in development or production. Stick with what is doable or stick a sock in it.

I think they should finally reveal that they made the '08 engine out of platinum and that it's worth about a gazillion dollars for the raw material!

<clip>
4. Re-locate the Yamaha test rider, who is obviously 5'-1" tall, but has an inseam of 34" to the assembly line. He/she would be a better fit assembling the front area of the fairing. Once a normal sized test rider is procured, then perhaps the bike will get a windscreen that is somewhere in the vicinity of the zipcode of appropriate, saving EVERY SINGLE BUYER of the bike from having to spend another $200.00 on a windscreen, or $400.00 for two, or $600.00 for three, before finding the one that works. Net cost increase per bike.... Zippo

<clip>

6. I'd like self-canceling turn signals too. Net cost increase per bike - not sure.

I have purchased two windscreens and I am STILL not happy. I'm not sure if I want to drop another $200 to get a third windscreen...

How hard is it to add self-cancelling turn signals? Come-on!!!!!!

"How hard is it to add self-cancelling turn signals? Come-on!!!!!!" - Exactly. Apparently one has to spend something north of $20k for this feature.

Weight might be a double edged sword. it might be a bitch to wrestle with in slow motion or even in hard twistys, but I love the feeling of planted stability my feej offers at speed.

How about adding drain screws to the bottoms of the front fork legs? Makes doing a fork oil change a whole bunch easier. My vintage Honda has them and Harley has had them for years.

Move the battery, under the seat works for most bikes..

Ability to dim the gauges

OEM switched power in the cockpit

Permit access to headlight bulbs

Move the mirrors - just a little bit - and build-in blind-spot coverage

Move radiator filler cap - just a little bit!!

Remove linked brake - my hands and feet can be controlled independently at will

... and from others, I *really* like:

zerks - steering stem, swingarm pivot, shock linkages

fork drain bolts

voltage meter (as long as it's accurate)

The bike is too heavy.
I would like a bike with the style and accessories of the 1300 but would be very happy with a smaller displacement engine (900cc?) and a lighter overall weight.

Don't ride 2 up and don't really need that kind of power but love the luggage and electric windscreen and...stuff .

Hard to find in smaller bikes.

^^^^

The problem with asking MamaYamaha to build a 900cc FJR cousin is that their current styling would leave it ugly as hell. I love all the suggestions here, because they show how much experience this place has on these bikes. I'm just short, dumb, and happy.

How about adding drain screws to the bottoms of the front fork legs? Makes doing a fork oil change a whole bunch easier. My vintage Honda has them and Harley has had them for years.
++++ more than 1

Very low cost, and it only takes a couple of minutes beers.