What Color to Paint Smuggler for 2015?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skag

Reaction score
I have a 2015 and need to paint a smuggler to match, which would be the best color, the graphite color which is the color of the bike or black which is the color of the grab rail and rack and other trim pieces. I'm thinking black to match the rail and rack which it will go up against, what are your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi-viz yellow.
hyper.gif

On my 07 I bought a Smuggler off an 07AE silver, at first I went with a low gloss black and thought it was still to shiny. So after all my hard work of sanding, priming' sanding and priming and then painting I didn't like it and shot it with Bed liner!

Mine is the cerulean silver (which is silver but it has a hint of blue). I like how it looks with my blue 06. I think I would be tempted to go with a carbon fiber adhesive overlay - I would also carbon fiber the black bits on the bike to create some texture. In the end maybe paint isn't the way to go. Find a place in your area that wraps cars in ad graphics. I bet they could do a very cool wrap.

The only thing I would be concerned with by going with the stock color is with it against the black rail and rack, I think it might be to much contrast being so close together and not looking right, still unsure but leaning toward Black.

Following up on the wrap - a couple of ideas, digital camo or a matte gray with a ghost Yamaha logo - this would allow you to introduce a little color or silver or gold logo. Hmmmmm I may have to chase this a bit further. The cool thing about the wrap - when you are tired of it peel it off - do something new.

Liking the wrap idea.

The only thing I would be concerned with by going with the stock color is with it against the black rail and rack, I think it might be to much contrast being so close together and not looking right, still unsure but leaning toward Black.
I actually found the opposite to be true. I had one painted to match my '04 and the clear was just a tad off. If you stared at it up against the fairing you could tell but once installed no one ever noticed. I attributed it to all the body pieces that came together along with the body lines and the way light bounced off it all. It's kinda busy back there so you probably could make just about any combination work.

Which reminds me - highly recommend Garauld here on the Forum if you do go with matching paint. It'll be done right the first time.

Last edited by a moderator: