What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am tracking my progress. I did an 11.3 mile ride from door to door after work today and then I did it again. Can any one guess?
no.gif

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
A stunning lack of clues. Vegetable, mineral or animal? Is it bigger than a bread box?

Spot check? Fun with a GPS?

Hmmm... Maybe. Got a new bicycle, Dave? 11 miles would be about the right distance for a beginning cyclist.
Yes, for the most part you are correct. It's not new but I have started riding a different kind of two wheels. So after my cycle ride I hop on one of the motorcycles to check the mileage. Best of both worlds. Yeah I know I could do it on my laptop but it isn't the same. I have a 15 miler on schedule for tomorrow after work.

Dave

I took the advice I got from this forum and attacked the front brakes. I removed the slide pins and the pads with every intention of swapping inside to outside. As far as I can tell without a set of calipers, there is no difference in wear from inside to outside pads. I had a piece of emery cloth to knock the glaze off the surface but everything looked so good that I did not use it. I cleaned the pins and applied caliper grease to each one before re-installing. I don't think that I made any difference in actual operation but at least I gave myself some peace of mind.

I swear if Dad does not come home from the coast and get this damned FJR out of my shop soon... I guess I will be putting a coat of polish on it tomorrow.

Yesterday completely fell asleep at the tiller and entered a corner at 41 faster than I've ever been through before.

Quickly decided I would lowside first, no other crash permitted.

KrZy8 did fooking GREAT.

Lean n' Go.

I almost shit myself

then started laughing,

Then wondered if could do the corner again that phast..

..but I'm chicken

......and, closing in on 100k on the 3rd odo!

Replaced the brackets on the 2 right hand side LED aux lights. The kinda got bent when I dropped the bike on them *d'oh*

Well, I put my money down on a 2013 FJR and am expecting it today or tomorrow. The delay is I am having them install the touring windshield. Local dealer was very helpful and accommidating with pricing, met the best price I could find on the net, added YES for $400, and didn't charge for the windshield upgrade. I received my GIVI SR357 yesterday and topcase, can't wait. Have a bunch of stuff to do before leaving July 8th for a trip out west for a few weeks. My son and grandson and I are going on an epic journey taking the new FJR and my old ST1300. I'll update here and at the ST-Owners after the trip on my imperfect comparison. More to follow.........

Well, I put my money down on a 2013 FJR and am expecting it today or tomorrow. The delay is I am having them install the touring windshield. Local dealer was very helpful and accommidating with pricing, met the best price I could find on the net, added YES for $400, and didn't charge for the windshield upgrade. I received my GIVI SR357 yesterday and topcase, can't wait. Have a bunch of stuff to do before leaving July 8th for a trip out west for a few weeks. My son and grandson and I are going on an epic journey taking the new FJR and my old ST1300. I'll update here and at the ST-Owners after the trip on my imperfect comparison. More to follow.........
Congrats and good luck with that. From what we've been hearing it may be 6 or 8 weeks before you ever see the saddlebags for the thing.

DID the second oil change of the year and that being for a bike in a Minnesota riding season, and I don't ride anywhere near as as much as that Tripper guy.

Hmmm... Maybe. Got a new bicycle, Dave? 11 miles would be about the right distance for a beginning cyclist.
Yes, for the most part you are correct. It's not new but I have started riding a different kind of two wheels. So after my cycle ride I hop on one of the motorcycles to check the mileage. Best of both worlds. Yeah I know I could do it on my laptop but it isn't the same. I have a 15 miler on schedule for tomorrow after work.

Dave

Dave,

What an excellent choice to have made. Kudos to you.

This past week during CFR I have realized what an enormous slug I have become over the past several years and have started thinking about my prior days of fit and vigor when I was riding a bike (the pedal type) every day, rather than the merely mind stimulating variety that we all love on this forum. I think that maybe getting myself into better bike riding shape will also get me into better motorbike riding shape.

I let my son take my Old's-cool road bike, a super sweet steel frame Fuji Team with full Shimano Ultegra components, to Vermont with him, And he is actually using it regularly so I don't want to be an Indian giver, but at this point I could easily make do with my old MT bike until my VO2 max gets high enough to even sustain a few high pace road miles.

I remember those early days of achievement, 10, 15, 20 miles per ride at first. Then more than once or twice a week at those mileages without getting the midnight leg cramps. After a few years I was riding 50-60 miles 2 or 3 times a week and my body fat had dropped to nearly nothing. I slept like a rock every night (when I wasn't cramping) and my BP and Cholesterol were never even a consideration.

Yeah... Why did I ever stop riding? You don't have to wear the silly spandex (unless you want to). And just think of how effortlessly you'll ber able to ride the Feej!

Yours was a great post for me. I really hope that I will allow myself to do the right thing and follow through.

Cheers bud! Maybe we'll ride together soon.

I washed my bike today too.

Riding back from SW-FOG, I'm 50 mile from home there was a flash of light, a huge clap of thunder, and the heavens opened.

Sorry, didn't mean too, it just happened.

I added another quart of oil last night since I rode her back to the garage after leaving for work in the AM. The Oil Light came on and all I could think was WTF over. I didn't see anything spewing out so that was good. After checking it when I got home from work it was just below the low level line. I added some more oil and all was well in feejerland again. Shame on me for not checking when I was done changing the oil.

Dave
Dave,

What an excellent choice to have made. Kudos to you.

This past week during CFR I have realized what an enormous slug I have become over the past several years and have started thinking about my prior days of fit and vigor when I was riding a bike (the pedal type) every day, rather than the merely mind stimulating variety that we all love on this forum. I think that maybe getting myself into better bike riding shape will also get me into better motorbike riding shape.

I let my son take my Old's-cool road bike, a super sweet steel frame Fuji Team with full Shimano Ultegra components, to Vermont with him, And he is actually using it regularly so I don't want to be an Indian giver, but at this point I could easily make do with my old MT bike until my VO2 max gets high enough to even sustain a few high pace road miles.

I remember those early days of achievement, 10, 15, 20 miles per ride at first. Then more than once or twice a week at those mileages without getting the midnight leg cramps. After a few years I was riding 50-60 miles 2 or 3 times a week and my body fat had dropped to nearly nothing. I slept like a rock every night (when I wasn't cramping) and my BP and Cholesterol were never even a consideration.

Yeah... Why did I ever stop riding? You don't have to wear the silly spandex (unless you want to). And just think of how effortlessly you'll ber able to ride the Feej!

Yours was a great post for me. I really hope that I will allow myself to do the right thing and follow through.

Cheers bud! Maybe we'll ride together soon.
The following email from my fellow bicycle rider last night. 12 mile ride in 95 degree weather. After the ride I Collapsed in my leather recliner for an hour.

I am not surprised it took an hour to recover.

You go out like an animal.

If you had a new bike I couldn’t keep up with you…………………….

I did not go by lake street, had to remind myself again that I was out for an easy ride.

I was baking all night, even after a shower. T’was a hot one it t’was……………

I seem to take things to the extreem I guess. I hope you get back on your bike Fred. I know I need the excersize and health benefits myself. As much as l like riding the feejer it is not the same. When I was down in the smokey mountains there was this old man riding up the mountain effortlessly. He had to be at least 80 years old. I was simply amazed because I knew he had to come up that hill for at least 2 miles. I thought to myself at the time if he can do it at his age well so can I. So I have hooked up with with one of the designers I work with to ride together. I hope to drop some poundage and get a little healthier. If I can do that I will be happy. My buddy is doing 50 milers on the weekends. Maybe I will get there who knows. I got a ways to go.

Happy riding either way you choose to go. Yes I did ride my FJR to work today.

Dave

Returned from CFR and pulled off the front and back rims and a fork leg in the rain.

Got fresh rubber installed (Car tire on the back) and new fork seal installed for $120 cash deal.

Tonight after work, re-install adjust everything. Most likely in the rain, because that's how I roll.

After CFR because somebody worn out my tires I had a new set of PR3 installed. Plus an oil/filter change. I can't figure it out because everytime I look out in the garage the bike is right where I left it.

Pushed it out of the garage so that I had space to work on the new doors SWMBO wants in the house.

(Click on image for larger view)

And the sun was shining.

I was able to answer one of life's great questions today.

The Question: What is better than riding your motorcycle to work?

The Answer: Riding your Dad's FJR to work!

Even better than that, calling Dad to tell him so. The throttle response is sooo much more satisfying than my ST1300. Not as smooth, but much more fun.