What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, with a 2012 I'd probably be a bit miffed too. There isn't much there to stick, just the rubber in the hole, and the contact on the threads of the plug. Probably best to let the shop figure it out.
Horse hockey! If you really think "the shop" isn't going to break something, I want some of what you're smokin'! Here's what I see happening: "the shop" guy can't get the boot loose either. So he grabs a screwdriver to pry it up with. But in his zeal he stabs a hole in it. "All the better", he thinks and twists it loose like a stuck oil filter. He pulls the plug out says, "yep, that's a spark plug", and puts it back in. He then re-installs the damaged boot without ever saying a word and we spend the next two weeks diagnosing a poorly running engine and the next 2 weeks wailing and lamenting the misery of it all.

I think gbj ought to go back out there and damage the damn thing himself. At least we'll have a decent idea of why his engine won't idle.
Damn Dude Hell of a positive imagination ya' got there!
laugh.png

BTW......There ARE good "shops" out there to go along with the bad ones. Hopefully he'll take it to one he knows does decent work.

My girl and I went to Pittsburgh to seem my parents who live in MARS, PA. Me on the FJR, her on her 650 Suzuki Savage Thumper. All Back roads from Harrisburg PA to there. 260 miles. We head home in a few hours. Nice ride. And the 650 is a pretty cool bike for her, after 16 years still doing it's thing no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I took off the Wilbers shock and put the OEM back on. The Wilbers is under sprung and needs a rebuild. The OEM only has 10k on it since I had it replaced at 32k.

The Wilbers wasn't gonna be acceptable for the upcoming Colorado Clusterfuck ride, so I'm gonna send it off for a service and a heavier spring. Then it'll be the same drill all over again.

From set up to all put away was less than 2 hours. Nice!!

Installed P3 brake/tail lights.

Packed bike and ready to leave in 30 minutes for a CBA ride up to NorCal to see the Manly Men & Wonder Women at the IBR Checkpoint tomorrow.

Cleaned my windscreen that was coated with bugs. Next I wiped the grunge off my big foot. All while making parts for you guys. That's it today folks. I may take the black widow out later on when it cools down. For now I have a party to attend.

Happy 4'th of July weekend,

Dave

BTW......There ARE good "shops" out there to go along with the bad ones. Hopefully he'll take it to one he knows does decent work.
Taking it in next Saturday to Roseville Yamaha, getting a tbs and new tires on at the same time, 8k and down to the wear bars on the supplied with bike metzler z6s , I believe a member of the forum works there and have had no issues on previous visits.

Added a Sena SMH10 to my Neotech and installed a bluetooth doggle to my Starcom. I need to change a few settings with the mic vox but so far all seems good.

Taking it in next Saturday to Roseville Yamaha, getting a tbs and new tires on at the same time, 8k and down to the wear bars on the supplied with bike metzler z6s , I believe a member of the forum works there and have had no issues on previous visits.
Update, since this is in NE prt , shop couldn't remove the cap without breaking it, so they have had to order a new one, I had to take it in early cos of tires, more NEPRT fodder, metzler showed steel bands earlier than expected. surprise ! ..... Not :)

Update, since this is in NE prt , shop couldn't remove the cap without breaking it, so they have had to order a new one, I had to take it in early cos of tires, more NEPRT fodder, metzler showed steel bands earlier than expected. surprise ! ..... Not :)
This is kind of what I figured might happen. At least you'll now get it fixed under warranty. It's a pretty quick and easy repair, but from my experience they will have to wait for the parts.

Taking a vacation week next week.....my 3rd valve check is due, and I don't wanna do it after a long-ass day at Radio Ranch.

No adjustment needed at 42K miles, so (fingers crossed) I hope there's no shim-finagling needed at 78K.

However -- I DO know how to time the freaking camshafts if they need to come out!

Rode 4 passes with escapefjrtist today [Hwy 20-Rainy Pass-Washington Pass-Loup Loup Pass] [Hwy 2-Stevens Pass] to warm up the oil so that I could change it. Oil and filter changed and bike buttoned back up.

Thanks George.

Spooned on a new set of PR2s and new brake pads front and rear. Neither the tires nor brakes were completely shot, but I want fresh ones for the Colorado Cluster. I think I'll change the oil and brake fluid this afternoon and then I'll be ready to go, only a week too early.

I got a new SW Mototech EVO Engage tank bag and installed a Ram Mount iPad, with LifeProof Nuud waterproof cover.

I can see the gauges clearly, the picture was taken low and may seems like it blocks the sightline.

IMG_3998.JPG

IMG_3999.JPG

IMG_4000.JPG

IMG_4001.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

Routine carp today. Changed the engine oil and filter, no biggie. And took the most spirited ride this morning with my relatively new (1k miles) car tire. Simply amazing dragging pegs, tracks like it's on a rail.

I changed the rear brakes out just in time. Been using mostly front brakes for the last 3 weeks. I also removed the piston from the caliper and cleaned it up as best I could. Some pitting still remained but now all the built up crud is gone. New flush & fluid. This is my second set of rear pads in 57k miles. Fronts are still all orginal pads. I have new sets for the front from last year but when I went ot swap them out the originals looked good to go. I will check them again this weekend. Lots to do before my september ride to TN.

After buttoning things up I got out the polish and went to town. She's all shiny again after about two months since the last time I cleaned her. Checked tire pressure 48 PSI in front???? 40 in the rear. Now 40 front and 42 rear. The black widow is now happy and resting piecefully in the garage.

That's all folks,

Dave

I am still running my original rear pads and am 2/3 of the way through the second set of front pads on my '07 with 95,000 miles. Interesting to see how people differ in terms of braking habits! I didn't "rotate" my original set of front pads at mid-life so I ended out with a little more than half the potential life out of them.