What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New rear Bridgestone T30 GT EVO. Holy shit that was a tough one to mount! The GT version has very stiff sidewalls. Next time, I will leave the tire out in the sun on a hot day for a couple of hours.

New rear Bridgestone T30 GT EVO. Holy shit that was a tough one to mount! The GT version has very stiff sidewalls. Next time, I will leave the tire out in the sun on a hot day for a couple of hours.
Worst tire I have ever wrestled with, and I've done two sets of them. Both times, it's been cool outside, so they won't heat up. I like these tires. I'm honestly thinking my Yamaha shop is going to get my wheels if I decide to mount another set. Or maybe, just the rear. The front wasnt too bad, but that rear was a bear!

Meh... Once you've done a car tire by hand, any moto tire is a piece of cake. ;)

It's not about getting the tire warm. It's about technique in getting the opposite bead into the valley of the rim. When mounting the first bead of any tire, front or rear, I've never needed to use any tools. Just lube it up and it slides right on because it's easy to get the opposite bead exactly in the valley. It's the second bead that needs all the levering. The tire carcass tries to keep the sidewalks spread out, which means you have to force that 2nd opposite bead down in the valley where it doesn't want to stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh... Once you've done a car tire by hand, any moto tire is a piece of cake.
wink.png

It's not about getting the tire warm. It's about technique in getting the opposite bead into the valley of the rim. When mounting the first bead of any tire, front or rear, I've never needed to use any tools. Just lube it up and it slides right on because it's easy to get the opposite bead exactly in the valley. It's the second bead that needs all the levering. The tire carcass tries to keep the sidewalks spread out, which means you have to force that 2nd opposite bead down in the valley where it doesn't want to stay.
I agree that technique is important but the stiffness of this tire made it much worse than any motorcycle tire I have ever mounted. It was worse than mounting a car tire on the FJR. The bead would not stay down in the valley - I needed an extra set of hands before I could get it done. It would definitely be easier with a warm tire.

Rode it to work. Entered waypoints for Saturday's upcoming ride into the GPS. After a rare day of leaving the bike at home and taking the truck, simply because I didn't want the bike sitting outside in the rain all day (at a meeting with no covered parking- I ride in the rain all the time, I just can't take the bike sitting outside in the rain all day), I ordered a half-cover.

"I will post some pictures of the starter when I get time."

It took some time to get to the starter but more time consuming than hard.

18699510_10155376656904628_3323343775315989909_o.jpg

Nasty and bridged when we took it apart.

18768290_10155376657349628_1189686426691069766_o.jpg

It cleaned up pretty good but we didn't have the O-rings, etc. to rebuild it.

18672867_10155376656899628_7642328244158539789_o.jpg

I'm kind of worried about putting Don Carver's parts on my bike.
uhoh.gif
...not

18699633_10155376657009628_8995712893939241517_o.jpg

The problem, in my humble thought, was oil leaking into the starter and gumming up the works.

I hope my starter never gives out. That must suck to do.

Anyway I am in the process of putting in my fuse block which that part is done. Now the LED lights are in the process of being hooked up. Next the GPS. Truck brakes are going to have to wait. It was a shitty morning so working on the FJR took precedence.

Dave

PAIR plates installed (Thanks Dave) new plugs, valves look good, Helibars done (that brakline is ugly), test ride tonight maybe, crazy storms here last night..

Finally got around to installing FZ1 mirrors on my 04. It's like having towing mirrors on a truck without a trailer behind it. Wonderful view.

Installed Shad top case with Admore lighting kit.

The light kit so easy even a Cave Man I could do it

Now I've got tail lights, brake lights, 4-ways, and turn signals up high right in that cage drivers face.

DSCN0976_zps0124owuu.jpg

Left all my bikes out in the rain while working on the truck. The good news is the caliper was lifetime warrantee. The rotor not so much. Dam they don't give those away.

Dave

NOTHING, but in the morning, my BIL and I are going to do a full service on his new to him 2003. Should be fun. I'll take some pics. Maybe!

Took a long leisurely ride with a buddy who got him a brand spankin' new 2017 F6B. Very shiny. Led him far enough away that he couldn't possibly make it home without putting on rain gear. Man, did we get wet! I bet he spent all night cleaning and drying that thing.

Before heading home from southern Virginnie we headed southwest and rode to the top of Pilot Mountain and watched the thunderstorm move in from across the valley. We ain' skeert of nuthin'!! Old pic below but it's a helluva place to be watching lightning.

Pilot%20Mtn%20SP2_zpshcare5d2.jpg

Dave, I'm a sissy. If it was a light rain and forecast called for clear skies in the afternoon, I would have done it. But I have a perfectly good commuter car for cool rainy days. And I'm a sissy.

Dave, I'm a sissy. If it was a light rain and forecast called for clear skies in the afternoon, I would have done it. But I have a perfectly good commuter car for cool rainy days. And I'm a sissy.
My wife says aren't you taking the truck today? Nope not today. It was mostly a wet mist not that bad. It did pour pretty hard last night so lots of puddles in the road.

Dave

Rode to work this morning. Plan on letting autopilot take over for the ride home, that would be a detour to the lake place, only an extra 215 miles. And the misses says to have a good ride...

Latest posts