What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I set the clock ahead 1 hour
I know what a PITA, huh? Especially for those of us with MBS
rolleyes.gif

Do the 2013's auto adjust for DST?
unsure.png
I leave the clock on all of my vehicles on DST all year.
Yeah Greg, you also stutter...all year??
tonguesmiley.gif
Only when I haven't been able ride for a long time.
blushing.gif
But, the snow is melting and I'll be on the road very soon.

Raining this morning --Removed windshied to install my new to me Rifle screen...Noticed how nasty the old girl had gotten so I moved her to the other side of the shop to wait for a wash/wax job before I install the new screen...Did look for a good place to mount a circut breaker in the battery area to feed a hot lead to the tail area for aux. ckts. Later in the day and after my nap my old Turnip called me to rebuild her carbs,tore down left carb and put the pieces in carb cleaner until tomorrow morning...Removed right carb and tore it down.Going to see how my new Harbor Fright ultrasonic cleaner works on it...,

Well, not today, but Saturday. I rode it! Spring is sort of here, I jumped on and enjoyed the 39 degrees, sand and gravel all over the roads, and some high winds. Went about 5 miles on it then parked it again. Since putting it away in late October, I got the new top-box (factory), just put on my new Rifle (bronze tint), and I have a fresh set of PR2's on (first time on this tire for me). I should be able to get the bags packed and overnight somewhere w/in the next 3 weeks or so.

March2013FJR_zps74ce144a.jpg

Put my OES extended sliders on at lunch time, rode it to work, rode it home, re-torqued my OES sliders.

The left side was where I left it, at 35ft/lb, the right side went a whole 'nother turn... I had the "Oh sit I stripped it" feeling... then the wrench clicked...

The moral... Be sure to check these after a short ride or two.

Gave a friend a pillion of about 180 Klms so she could pick up a new to her Triumph Bonniville Great ride there and even better on the way back . She was so impressed with the FJR with the floorboards and topbox . She could not believe the power of the Trumpy I did not have the nerve to tell her the FJR has more than TWICE the power,( I was very gentle with applying the FJR power ) She is moving up from a restored 1982 Moto Guzzi Monza ( 500CC) so its not hard to see most bike would have more power . By the way she is a very good experienced rider, pillion ( he husband has a Moto Guzzi Norge ) and we have ridden since the late 1970s . She was having problems with the handling of the Truimpy ,she said it was like riding her old sidecar, so we checked the tire pressure ,sure enough both tires were at 14.5 PSI when warm !! What a difference when we inflated them to 38PSI front and 40PSI rear . I checked mine and they were down a bit so inflated them and of course the handling improved .

Paid it off!!
yahoo.gif
Outstanding! Congratulations.

Now start setting aside the payment money towards your next bike...
Thanks!! Already had that in the back of my mind. In three or four years the Gen III should be pretty much de-bugged (if any) and would be about the time they will sell it in Cobalt Blue again. Then again that Brown they are selling in Europe is pretty nice too.......

Tried a suggestion to tint the windscreen with RITZ liquid dye.
Didn't work.
Oh Well , Worked on plexiglass , Does take some time. Did you use the salt?
Yeah...maybe the water wasn't hot enough.

Anyway painting it right now with RUST-OLEUM "LENS TINT" for tinting taillights.....looks good so far, still putting on coats.

Nothing recent from Odie has me concerned.. Has he crashed? Is his bike broke? Did he run outa gas and get stranded and ate by crazed chipmunks?

or has his wife killed him and ate his body?

Waiting with fish baited breath

Nothing recent from Odie has me concerned.. Has he crashed? Is his bike broke? Did he run outa gas and get stranded and ate by crazed chipmunks?or has his wife killed him and ate his body?

Waiting with fish baited breath
Maybe couldn't see through the smoke and got caught in the turnstile.
weirdsmiley.gif

Not really to my FJR, more like for my FJR...

Received my brandy new Cycle Hill Tire changer (compliments of my recent tax refund) and floor mounted it in my garage. Since our "2-car" garage is generally pretty full of vehicles, with bikes covering my half and the good wife's Jeep in the other, I opted to mount the changer in the center of the Jeep's parking bay, which means I'll have to remove and store it when it's not being used.

I didn't want the concrete anchor studs that were supplied with the tire changer to be sticking up out of the floor when not in use, so I got some Red Head 1/2" internally threaded, drop-in anchors from the local Home Depot. You also have to buy the setting tool to for these, but that was only $3. The worst part was trying to get the four 2" deep holes in the concrete floor near the required alignment as the 5/8" masonry bit wants to wander when it hits bigger stones in the aggregate. I got three holes to align good, and just had to dremel out the hole in the bottom of the tire changer a little for the 4th one. I'll just leave some 1" long 1/2" bolts screwed into the anchors to keep the dirt out when not in use.

Now we're ready to do some serious tire changin'!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Received my brandy new Cycle Hill Tire changer ...
I've been talking to a friend here about splitting the cost of one of those, to make it more affordable for both of us. Unfortunately, he doesn't really ride enough to go through tires (old Venture Royale), so I don't think it's going to fly. I am curious to know how well it works though. My problem is that I have no space to permanently install the thing and it doesn't come with a hitch mount, so your solution might work for me...

When you aren't using the Cycle Hill you can just remove two bolts and the side arms fold towards the center, making it a nice compact package to store away. The bigger No-Mar changers don't fold up so easily. I also like that there is no overhead arm on the Cycle Hill, so you can swing the tire bar all the way around 360 degrees.

Here's the review from WebBikeWorld that really sold me on this model.

If you do opt to buy one, go on eBay where No-Mar is selling these for less money including delivery, and also throwing in the optional no scratch bead breaker.

When you aren't using the Cycle Hill you can just remove two bolts and the side arms fold towards the center, making it a nice compact package to store away. The bigger No-Mar changers don't fold up so easily. I also like that there is no overhead arm on the Cycle Hill, so you can swing the tire bar all the way around 360 degrees.
Here's the review from WebBikeWorld that really sold me on this model.

If you do opt to buy one, go on eBay where No-Mar is selling these for less money including delivery, and also throwing in the optional no scratch bead breaker.
That's damn nice Fred...wish I could get one of those.

Received my brandy new Cycle Hill Tire changer ...
I've been talking to a friend here about splitting the cost of one of those, to make it more affordable for both of us. Unfortunately, he doesn't really ride enough to go through tires (old Venture Royale), so I don't think it's going to fly. I am curious to know how well it works though. My problem is that I have no space to permanently install the thing and it doesn't come with a hitch mount, so your solution might work for me...
I've had mine for about 3 years now! A very worthwhile investment, in my opinion! I'm certain that I have recovered the initial cost now with the dealer re and re I have saved. In addition to my own I do all my riding buddies as well which of course keeps the beer fridge full. I must say though that I also have a motorcycle lift that a friend gave me from his shop when they upgraded and that makes tire changing a whole lot easier especially with the rear wheel drop out! I forgot to mention I have mine mounted on a 4'x4' 1inch piece of plywood which I drag out of the corner where I store it in the garage!