What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had thought about doing that, but wasn't sure it would be "anchored" enough with just body weight on it. How does that work out for you? Does the machine ever want to move on you?

I cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood in half, then when I use the changer, I bolt the it across the seam of the 2 4x4 pieces. With the short side up against the wall of the garage floor, I have plenty of room to fight with the BT023GT. Since I'm standing on the plywood, it doesn't move. I just didn't like the idea of drilling holes in my garage floor.

Not really to my FJR, more like for my FJR...
Received my brandy new Cycle Hill Tire changer (compliments of my recent tax refund) and floor mounted it in my garage. Since our "2-car" garage is generally pretty full of vehicles, with bikes covering my half and the good wife's Jeep in the other, I opted to mount the changer in the center of the Jeep's parking bay, which means I'll have to remove and store it when it's not being used.

I didn't want the concrete anchor studs that were supplied with the tire changer to be sticking up out of the floor when not in use, so I got some Red Head 1/2" internally threaded, drop-in anchors from the local Home Depot. You also have to buy the setting tool to for these, but that was only $3. The worst part was trying to get the four 2" deep holes in the concrete floor near the required alignment as the 5/8" masonry bit wants to wander when it hits bigger stones in the aggregate. I got three holes to align good, and just had to dremel out the hole in the bottom of the tire changer a little for the 4th one. I'll just leave some 1" long 1/2" bolts screwed into the anchors to keep the dirt out when not in use.

Now we're ready to do some serious tire changin'!!
Fred,

WHAT? no more manly changes with tire irons!
no.gif
Any way your going to like the new tire changer. My unit came with bolts included. I drill the holes in the middle of one bay also. When I need it I just bolt it down. No anchors jus coarse bolts. Keeping the bolts in is smart. I usually vacumm the holes clean every time to get the crap out of them. Just to let you know I have taken off car tires also.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I must be getting old, Dave. Of course I still have my old gear, the Yankee Tire Facilitator and set of spoons, which may come in handy now and then.

The Cycle Hill came with a set of these kind of anchors, which leave a stud sticking up out of the floor

thunderstud-wedge-anchor.gif

I used a set of these "drop-in" anchors instead:

50402_hr4c.jpg

You just drill your holes 2" deep, which is the length length of the anchor, knock it down into the hole, and then there is a punch tool that you hammer on to set the wedge inside. Beats the old epoxy type for quick and easy install.

Not really to my FJR, more like for my FJR...
Received my brandy new Cycle Hill Tire changer (compliments of my recent tax refund) and floor mounted it in my garage. Since our "2-car" garage is generally pretty full of vehicles, with bikes covering my half and the good wife's Jeep in the other, I opted to mount the changer in the center of the Jeep's parking bay, which means I'll have to remove and store it when it's not being used.

I didn't want the concrete anchor studs that were supplied with the tire changer to be sticking up out of the floor when not in use, so I got some Red Head 1/2" internally threaded, drop-in anchors from the local Home Depot. You also have to buy the setting tool to for these, but that was only $3. The worst part was trying to get the four 2" deep holes in the concrete floor near the required alignment as the 5/8" masonry bit wants to wander when it hits bigger stones in the aggregate. I got three holes to align good, and just had to dremel out the hole in the bottom of the tire changer a little for the 4th one. I'll just leave some 1" long 1/2" bolts screwed into the anchors to keep the dirt out when not in use.

Now we're ready to do some serious tire changin'!!
Fred,

WHAT? no more manly changes with tire irons!
no.gif
Any way your going to like the new tire changer. My unit came with bolts included. I drill the holes in the middle of one bay also. When I need it I just bolt it down. No anchors jus coarse bolts. Keeping the bolts in is smart. I usually vacumm the holes clead every time to get the crap out of them. Just to let you know I have taken off car tires also.

Dave
Use socket head set screws to plug the holes and you won't bust your ass every time you trip over the bolt heads....
no.gif
A cut off bolt with a screwdriver slot hacksawed in the end works good too......

I had thought about doing that, but wasn't sure it would be "anchored" enough with just body weight on it. How does that work out for you? Does the machine ever want to move on you?
I weigh a little over 200 sometimes and my weight seems to keep things in place? I have a friend coming over with a Gold Wing which I understand are quite difficult due to stiff side walls? I have been eating and drinking more in order to put on more weight when we'll be doing those tires! The both of us on the plywood should be more than enough to keep things still.

I went to the transfer station today and got rid of some old tires off the FJR plus waste oil and a bunch of other junk. I can now walk around my FJR in the garage without tripping over stuff.

I weigh a little over 200 sometimes and my weight seems to keep things in place? I have a friend coming over with a Gold Wing which I understand are quite difficult due to stiff side walls? I have been eating and drinking more in order to put on more weight when we'll be doing those tires! The both of us on the plywood should be more than enough to keep things still.
The sidewall of tires for the GW vary, with the E3s being the most... fun. Then there are the run-flat CTs. I've heard that some have run out of profanity and started speaking in tongues while laying hands on them!

Tried a suggestion to tint the windscreen with RITZ liquid dye.
Didn't work.
Oh Well , Worked on plexiglass , Does take some time. Did you use the salt?
Yeah...maybe the water wasn't hot enough.

Anyway painting it right now with RUST-OLEUM "LENS TINT" for tinting taillights.....looks good so far, still putting on coats.
Well......spray tint looks good from the outside but not so good from the inside where I sprayed the tint.

So ordered a CAL SCI "Shorty" tinted screen. I don't mind a little wind on me and like the sporty look of the shorty screen.

More on topic, I did ride my feejer to work today. Got off the bike and hit the badge reader by the door. I then entered the world of chaos.
weirdsmiley.gif

What a nice ride home at least.

Christ, I wasn't being serious, just jabbing at whomever did the "upgrade" to the forum.

Yeah, it's a little cumbersome, especially if you insist on staying with Windoze Innerwebs Exploder. But if you use any of the better (free) browsers it all works, eventually.

Sometimes more than once. ;)

Fred, I've been using the plywood set-up with my HF changer for five years or so. The only tires I don't care for are Dunlops...which are harder to dismount than mount.
I went to the transfer station today and got rid of some old tires off the FJR plus waste oil and a bunch of other junk. I can now walk around my FJR in the garage without tripping over stuff.
This I gotta see...you have a pic 'fitter?
--G

Hooked up the harness to my heated clothes last night on my Gen III. Not too bad of a job to get to the battery. Kinda nice to see how a few things come apart on the new bike. Ready for my every thursday night ride. Been riding with the same group since 1986 although the group has went thru some changes over the years. Still something to look forward to.

ed