What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced my rear pads a while back and rebuilt the caliper at the same time. The fronts still looked really good. I'm probably in the - two sets of rear pads for every set of fronts - category.

New front tire installed today. Went with the Shinko 005 Advance. I've never had one on the front before but I used one on the rear once. Stuck like glue, even in the wet, but the life was a little low at about 4000 miles. I'm thinking a) I want a stickier front end, and 2) for $128 installed I can easily buy 2 per year without hurting the wallet if I get only 5-6000 miles out of them.

Nothing as i DON'T HAVE ONE..Man this place has taken a shit.15 "new" threads about subjects a thousand times dicussed..

No wonder the crickets are sleepin'

Let me combine two other threads here, the one about doing your own work and when is it too hot to ride. I'll ask, "When is it too hot to work on your own motorcycle?"
laugh.png
My garage is a bump out from the house and with a little sun on the roof it starts to feel like an E-Z Bake Oven.

I just pulled the wheels off and started a brake pad swap but had to take a hydration brake break. Even with a fan blowing I'm a sweatin' up a pond. Fred W is enjoying a fork rebuild with Mike today so I might as well bring my wheels over and rerubberize them. Hope his garage is air conditioned!
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me combine two other threads here, the one about doing your own work and when is it too hot to ride. I'll ask, "When is it too hot to work on your own motorcycle?"
laugh.png
My garage is a bump out from the house and with a little sun on the roof it starts to feel like an E-Z Bake Oven.
I just pulled the wheels off and started a brake pad swap but had to take a hydration brake break. Even with a fan blowing I'm a sweatin' up a pond. Fred W is enjoying a fork rebuild with Mike today so I might as well bring my wheels over and rerubberize them. Hope his garage is air conditioned!
wink.png

Mike and Ion and I enjoyed a weight reduction sauna like experience, didn't have to pay the rates at those fancy spas, and Alan got tires and Mike got forks that will actually... work like suspension.

Bought it!

2007 (best color) with 14K miles, original owner, never down, meticulously maintained, Cee bailey screen, Corbin heated seat, Throttlemeister, SHAD 46 trunk w/ backrest. I'm a happy guy!

i put on my Sci Cal tinted sporty wind screen.Low position:

IMG_9272_zps4416eac9.jpg

High Position:

IMG_9261_zps8faac39e.jpg
Looks great! Hows it work?
I like it better than the original. I can keep the screen lower and have the same protection. Minimal buffeting. I am very glad I got it.

I also noticed that it's thicker than the stock screen so it doesn't shake at highway speed like the stock one does. (I have the same screen)

New plugs at 8,000 miles (although the old ones looked good) and throttle body synch with butterfly plate synch...WOW!!....at upper RPM's 5,000 and over it's like a Turbo kicks in!!!! Notibly faster than before!!

Installed highway pegs bought from another member here.

BTW......There ARE good "shops" out there to go along with the bad ones. Hopefully he'll take it to one he knows does decent work.
Taking it in next Saturday to Roseville Yamaha, getting a tbs and new tires on at the same time, 8k and down to the wear bars on the supplied with bike metzler z6s , I believe a member of the forum works there and have had no issues on previous visits.
metzler showed steel bands earlier than expected. surprise ! ..... Not :)
Do you always let your tires wear down to the metal bands? Just my opiniom but I replace em at or just under the wear bars......I think traction suffers with that last bit of rubber left, rubber seems to wear faster after the wear bars also.

I am still running my original rear pads and am 2/3 of the way through the second set of front pads on my '07 with 95,000 miles. Interesting to see how people differ in terms of braking habits! I didn't "rotate" my original set of front pads at mid-life so I ended out with a little more than half the potential life out of them.
I think some riders don't realize that you stop quicker with the front brake.

Many riders don't use the rear brake at all or rarely.......too easy to lock up the rear with the "foot" versus the more controlled "feel" of the hand on the front and about 80% of your stopping power is with the front brake anyway.

Do you always let your tires wear down to the metal bands? Just my opiniom but I replace em at or just under the wear bars......I think traction suffers with that last bit of rubber left, rubber seems to wear faster after the wear bars also.
Never. I always change mine at, or near, the wear bars. This is one NEPRT maintenance item that is a certifiable safety concern, and yet many folks around here have a cavalier attitude about how worn their skins become before changing them. Some even take great pride in wearing them as far as possible.

Not only does the dry traction suffer in the last bit of rubber, but your risk of hydroplaning in wet weather increases dramatically, and the risk of a puncture goes up significantly too as these tires are pretty darned thin by the time there is no more tread left on them. A sharp stone or piece of glass in the road could be a quick end to your ride day.

Never. I always change mine at, or near, the wear bars. This is one NEPRT maintenance item that is a certifiable safety concern, and yet many folks around here have a cavalier attitude about how worn their skins become before changing them. Some even take great pride in wearing them as far as possible.

Not only does the dry traction suffer in the last bit of rubber, but your risk of hydroplaning in wet weather increases dramatically, and the risk of a puncture goes up significantly too as these tires are pretty darned thin by the time there is no more tread left on them. A sharp stone or piece of glass in the road could be a quick end to your ride day.
Even a frugal yankee has his limits.

Well there are swamp yankees. Dems even more frugal den regular yanks. Rode to work today. Now I have a light out and it needs to be replaced. Should I replace both? Since Fred is just a regular yankee he might know where to get a good deal on replacement feejer bulbs. I haven't done a bulb change as of yet. This will be the first time.

Dave

Good points.