what givi top case to get

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had before "old" and "new" maxia. Practical, but not so nice and I did not like robustness of new maxia. I was waiting one year for OEM 50l but it is still not available (Yama has a problem with homologation) so I have got V47NN Tech with partially painted top - looks great. Some photos here:

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Thanks kebo for the pics. I ordered a v47 in matte black with the smoke lens. Will post pics and my review. I like that givi rack/mounting plate. I see also you have the back pad on yours. Looks good.

Good comments, all.. Just for your information, I got the E55 because the Admore Lighting kit for that case included a brake light modulating circuit, which flashed the Admore case lights when the brakes were applied. The other Admore lighting kits for the smaller cases didn't have that circuit. Otherwise, I would have gone for the 47.

Good comments, all.. Just for your information, I got the E55 because the Admore Lighting kit for that case included a brake light modulating circuit, which flashed the Admore case lights when the brakes were applied. The other Admore lighting kits for the smaller cases didn't have that circuit. Otherwise, I would have gone for the 47.
My Admore lighting kit for the V47 came with a modulating circuit. I hit the brakes and the lights flash 3-4 in rapid succession, then stay on. I bought mine about 2 months ago.

Howdy All,

I'm still on the fence between '47 and '55. I've not seen a '55 on the FJR yet and am undecided.

More significantly though, I am curious about the mount choices you have made. A big reason why I abandoned the OEM top box was it's poor mounting situation. I broke the mount plate itself, twice, having simply given in to fatigue. The trunk was always sort of 'floppy.' So, I'm not surprised.

In contrast, I've seen some FJRs with the Givi mounting system. Those trunks were -rock- solid. Felt confident I could stuff 40 lbs back there and not worry about it.

What are your thoughts?

Howdy All,
I'm still on the fence between '47 and '55. I've not seen a '55 on the FJR yet and am undecided.

More significantly though, I am curious about the mount choices you have made. A big reason why I abandoned the OEM top box was it's poor mounting situation. I broke the mount plate itself, twice, having simply given in to fatigue. The trunk was always sort of 'floppy.' So, I'm not surprised.

In contrast, I've seen some FJRs with the Givi mounting system. Those trunks were -rock- solid. Felt confident I could stuff 40 lbs back there and not worry about it.

What are your thoughts?

Here is my Givi 52L to give you somewhat of an idea. A friend has the 55 and the admore lighting on the 52 is much better/more visible that the lights that go with the 55. My case was unpainted when I got it and it looked crappy, like a giant out of place black milk crate.

orig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I've had my E55 for several months...They must have changed the kit for the 47... In talking to them I indicated the modulator circuit was very important to me.. Seems they think so too.

For those with the 47, one of the downsides I saw when looking at them was the indentation for the handle. From a picture I saw of one open it looked like it stuck in and ate up a bunch of space. Is it inconvenient or did I just see a bad picture? The open shots of the 55 show smooth sides all the way around and looked more usable that way. I do like the look of the 47 and the price is better, but I don't want to sacrifice usability for looks.

For those with the 47, one of the downsides I saw when looking at them was the indentation for the handle. From a picture I saw of one open it looked like it stuck in and ate up a bunch of space. Is it inconvenient or did I just see a bad picture? The open shots of the 55 show smooth sides all the way around and looked more usable that way. I do like the look of the 47 and the price is better, but I don't want to sacrifice usability for looks.
V47 is for sure smaller than E52 or E55 and space needed for handle and lock is "eaten" inside (see pictures). But it still can accommodate 2 full faced helmets.

I had in the past on FJR E52 - good and robust, but not so nice from styling point of view (my opinion), E55 looks much better on the bike, but I do not like how it's made - design is too weak from my point of view. I was able to open it with screwdriver and friend of mine "lost" one during riding on bumpy roads.

282.jpg

283.jpg

Jasen:

You're right that the hand-hold cuts into the interior space somewhat. That effect is amplified with the remote latch add-on which takes up another inch or so of interior space, but even with that I'm able to get 2 modular helmets in. Everything is a compromise and I'm happy with the compromises made in the V47. If you're used to an E52 or E55 you would find the V47 tight. The V47 isn't big, but I find it big enough. IMHO there's nothing that compares aesthetically with the V47, especially with a good light kit added.

Thanks guys. I need to find one of these to see in person. I don't store helmets in there, just my suit and my laptop bag. I'm looking to replace my Shad SH50 and I think the V47 "Might" fit the bill for me.

Felt confident I could stuff 40 lbs back there and not worry about it.
You should worry about it...
rolleyes.gif
garauld knows of what he speaks. I don't worry too much about the official 10-lb limit (or whatever it is...) but I also try not to put heavy stuff in there. I use the top case for light, bulky stuff (extra clothing layers, etc.) and put the heavy stuff (like my wife's make-up kit
winksmiley02.gif
) in the side cases. I wouldn't have any concern about the Givi case or the mounting plate giving out with heavier loads; it's sub-frame cracking that's the issue.

I put a PCA rack with the givi mounts and the helmet locks on. Got the new GIVI v47 case and mounted it. Looks great on the black 08. But it seams like it wasn't very solid. After reading about the sub frame issues I installed Gary's stiffy kit. It is very solid now. With the rack and Givi this is going to be a durable and practical set up.

Has any body with the Givi v47 take the key lock apart? Wondering if you can change the lock set and put the spare Yamaha set in. It would be nice to have one key to work it all.

I don't think it is an easy retrofit. The Givi key is captive when the box is unlocked. 95% of the time, I leave the key in with the box unlocked. If I am leaving the bike unattended, I lock it and pocket the key.

The new V47 case mounted on the Givi SR357 rack is a great combo and it looks perfect on the FJR ... It is not giant looking and has a nice higher tech look to it ... Less saucer looking than the V46 ....
If you search V47 over on the "other" forum, there is a user CHIA that put one on and provided a lot of nice pictures.

And I will vigorously agree with STC10 that the directions are a bit vague... And he is being nice ... The instructions are harder to interpret than pyramid cave drawings ... And let me also say that the instructions for the case are wonderful compared to the light kit instructions ... The light kit documentation is a joke....

If you decide to install a light kit, feel free to PM me for the REAL STORY ... I especially like the part depicting a hammer pounding out an insert that is virtually impossible to remove ... But I got through it ... Aided by time and beer ...
Here's the thread with a few pics from last year:

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-fjr-farkling-ii/20889-givi-v47-best-touring-trunk-2013-fjr1300.html

I just purchased the '14 ES and have added the 357 rack and am waiting for the 47 to arrive. I bought the Givi led light kit for it. I liked the look of the carbon fiber more than the aluminum, but I could have done either. I did get the candy apple red lid cover that is pretty spot on for matching the stock paint job IMO. Someone asked me to post a pic...but I dont know how you guys paste or whatever you're doing to have them show in your posts. If I figure it out I will post pics of mounted box with lid cover. My dealer did recommend that I buy other splices to employ over the ones supplied with light kit.

As for the keying, as I noted above I avoided the whole issue by going with the remote latch kit on the V47. The nice thing is I can pull over at the side of the road, pop the trunk with the press of a button, and not have to pull the keys out of the ignition (I suppose you could have a second key chain or just shut down the bike all the time, but it seemed like a pain to me before I put in the remote latch).