What is the best way to transport my FJR from LA to Chicago?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys and riding it is not totally out of the question, but 3-4 day there and 3-4 days back 2-up end up being about 25% of the time we have off. That time could be spent with family in GA or NC or tail of the dragon, or even in Washington DC touring our Nation's capital. You get the idea... Thanks for the links guys and I am going to look into it.
This past summer I rode the bike back east. Sent the wife on a jet, while I rode through the Tetons, Yellowstone, Montana, Big Horns, Black Hills, etc. Since I did the trip without a pillon, I made good time and the wife was happy to have gone by air. I left two days before, and got there a day after she did. Just something to consider. For me, it was the trip, for her it was the destination. We both got what we wanted.

Thanks guys and riding it is not totally out of the question, but 3-4 day there and 3-4 days back 2-up end up being about 25% of the time we have off. That time could be spent with family in GA or NC or tail of the dragon, or even in Washington DC touring our Nation's capital. You get the idea... Thanks for the links guys and I am going to look into it.
This past summer I rode the bike back east. Sent the wife on a jet, while I rode through the Tetons, Yellowstone, Montana, Big Horns, Black Hills, etc. Since I did the trip without a pillon, I made good time and the wife was happy to have gone by air. I left two days before, and got there a day after she did. Just something to consider. For me, it was the trip, for her it was the destination. We both got what we wanted.
You might be onto something. It would be cool to go after my Iron Butt at the same time? Hmmmm. That would only affect 4 of our 30 days. You got me thinking.

Just took bike in for recall and found this card for out of state transport.

They are just outside ATL. Might be worth looking into.

www.2wheelstowing.com

GBranson

With your ass on the seat and your hand on the throttle :rolleyes:
a little more tactfully worded, but i was thinking the same thing. the cost and risk of damage being what it is compared to the 3 days of travel (under 2200 miles), it would seem the reasonable alternative to all the time and effort crating and uncrating it (including draining all fluids and refilling at the destination). if using it as a jump off for the rest of a vacation, anything that goes wrong would ruin your plans. If there's a concern for her, then have her fly out and meet you after you get there. The trip on the bike will be more enjoyable through UT (along i80) than when you get to all the congestion of The Dragon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do what I did back in the Spring. I jumped on the bike and aimed it for Atlanta (about a 1000 miles away). Debbie jumped on a plane a day later. I picked her up at the airport, had all her riding gear packed on the bike. Spent 5 days in the Smokie mountains. She had a great time (it was her first longer bike trip). Not spending 2 days droning on the interstate she really enjoyed the trip. Last day I dropped her off at the airport and I took off for home. Got back the day after her.

LA to Chicago. She could do it with one flight (no transfers). You could do it in 2 days with a good effort. Plus you get the chance to ride the bike through the mountains on the way.

Just Saying...

- Colin

I am starting to see a trend and I am beginning to agree. She gets what she wants and I get what I want without a lot of extra time wasted. Hell if I do it right I might even be able to get my Saddle Sore out of it which by the way has been on my short list of things to complete this year.

+1 on this! Bambi and I have done this several times. She flys out while I do a couple of 750+ days without problems. She like to ride A LOT but we burn out at about 450 miles two up. She'd rather enjoy the trip near the destination than the long hours in the saddle to get there. We both win!

3-4 days for 2200 miles??? Come on!!! You're riding an FJR, not a Vespa!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding to the "peer pressure"; yrs ago my wife & I did the same thing where I rode to South Dakota and back, and she flew both ways. We had some days together flower sniffin'. I pretty much "beat feet" going up, then took a full week coming back taking 2 lane roads all the way. If you have the time, you might think about doing it that way...

This past September I shipped my bike with Federal from MA to UT Cost was about 515 one way. I was very pleased with the shipping. I turned the bike over at one of their Depots about 2 weeks before the arrival date in Ut. The shipping back did not have to happen since a deer took us out in Clyde MT. You will receive a susbstantial discount with Federal if you are an AMA member. You can find Federal on the AMA site.

Willie

I would take 3 days on the way up, why arrive whacked out and tired before your vacation starts. Plus you want to take in some scenes on the way. Consider also tire life..... put new shoes on before you go.

OTOH, shipping is ~$700 one way to Chicago, plus the return, plus your airfare. The trade off is tire wear, a bit of fuel and accomodations.... plus you have to coordinate at both ends, risk of damage, etc.

Just me, but I would take an extra day on either end and ride up and back.

A couple years ago I bought a bike out of California and had it shipped to Michigan for around $475 through shippingmasters.com. They appear to be a third party and actually placed the shipment with haulbikes.com as the shipper. I was very impressed with haulbikes. It came on a special 18 wheeler that is set up just for bikes and hauls them on 2 levels. It was a professional job.

Wow!

Reading thru this thread, "not to hijack", but shipping is something I have been wandering about

while considering to make an offer on getting me another fjr.

Not going to take a chance doing a fly and ride on a freshly healed ankle,

getting stiff a couple hundred miles and dropping a new ride would be catostrophic...

so shipping would be the way to go for a long distance buy.

point being, $475 - $750 is a large margin to cover in getting a good price.

Thanks for starting this thread...good info

Not going to take a chance doing a fly and ride on a freshly healed ankle,

getting stiff a couple hundred miles and dropping a new ride would be catostrophic...

so shipping would be the way to go for a long distance buy.

Hey, for airfare and lunch money I'll go and pick one up for you and ride it home!!! A lot cheaper than shipping it!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

How difficult are the drop off/pick up logistics on these things? I have a meeting in Chicago in April, and I've been thinking about shipping my FJR out, going to the meeting, and then riding back over the weekend. But, from what I can tell from a little research, the shipping time is weeks (???) and you have to have someone there on both ends for pickup and drop off. (Don't know if any of them have terminals in Chicago, but if so, that might make it a bit easier).

How difficult are the drop off/pick up logistics on these things? I have a meeting in Chicago in April, and I've been thinking about shipping my FJR out, going to the meeting, and then riding back over the weekend. But, from what I can tell from a little research, the shipping time is weeks (???) and you have to have someone there on both ends for pickup and drop off. (Don't know if any of them have terminals in Chicago, but if so, that might make it a bit easier).
For you its less than a 900 mile trip. If you went straight through on the super slab you would be on the road 16 hours. I have done more on a cruiser, and we're talking a FJR here. :yahoo:

Ride out and take the scenic route back. No way would most here ship.

For you its less than a 900 mile trip. If you went straight through on the super slab you would be on the road 16 hours. I have done more on a cruiser, and we're talking a FJR here. :yahoo:

Ride out and take the scenic route back. No way would most here ship.
Thought about that -- still is an option. But can't do 16 hours straight and show up at a business meeting like this. So, I'm looking at two days on road, which means essentially I lose a week (meeting starts Weds). If, instead, I can fly out Weds morning, find bike, do meetings (which end mid-day Friday), then have 2 days to ride back at more leisure, that's something that might work.

That stupid work stuff -- screws up everything.