what to bring for my first long road trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two consecutive 700 mile days is a pretty good chunk to bite off for your first long ride. Hope you have a good aftermarket saddle and your bars fit you. Dehydration and fatigue will be your two biggest concerns. As others have mentioned, sip away on water constantly while in the saddle. I always liked to stop and take a 20 or 30 minute power nap at a rest stop in the late afternoon if I had many more miles to go before checking in. Just lay down in full gear with your helmet on on in a shady patch of grass or a picnic table. First day will probably be ok as far as fatigue. Be careful on the second day, try to be aware of your alertness and fatigue level. A long day in the saddle will take a larger toll on your energy than driving the same miles.

Enjoy yourself, the bike is up to it. Run a comfortable pace. Don't speed.

The faster the pace the more it wears you out.
Use some good ear plugs to block out some of the noise.

Stop often and stretch. And don't forget to take pictures.

If there aren't any pictures,
It Didn't Happen.

:rolleyes:

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, this forum has got one smart bunch on folks.

You hit 90+% of it and the replies covered the rest of what I keep on my list. Only thing I'd add (or didn't see) is a good flashlight and/or headlamp. If nothing else the extra batteries can come in handy.

Sounds like you've got it licked. Have a great trip!

+1 on good ear protection. For me its one of the biggest fatigue reducers. Keep lots of snacks in a tank bag. Don't be a stranger to other like minded motorcycle riders stopped along your route. A few minutes talking about bikes and rides with others always gets me energized for many more miles. Have fun! :fans:

+1 on Axemans connectors..cheap/ easy and work well. CO2 not the best alternative. If you don't have a good, complete tire kit...+1 on AAA card/cell phone. I don't mean to worry you, tire problems are not likely.

How about a good knife so you bag a forest rat you can skin him :2handed:

I also like to carry some flat pulling rope tha I use for my electrical wire pulling :construction:

Other than what everyone said you are set to go have a safe trip

Bottle opener.

That way, once you get to your destination and grab yourself some tasty celebration beers (ya gotta have a celebration beer at the end of a long ride!), you'll be able to open the damn things.

:drinks:

I like this idea. Can I get a spare made without going to the dealer though?

Pack a spare key somewhere unlocked... just in case you need it.
I keep a spare key on my dog-tag neck chain...

Yeah, go to a locksmith though. It should be about $5, bring your bike and test it to make sure it works.
If you look in the FAQ section it will give key makes, which are a lot less than what a dealer charges.

I'm doing something similar in two days: from the Bay Area shooting down 5 then across the Tehachapis to Joshua Tree Friday. Home via Santa Barbara and 101 Saturday. It's about 500 / 600 miles. It's a shakedown run my buddy and I are taking in anticipation of our June x-country trip to check out gear, distances per day, and riding styles.

I put together a comprehensive (for now) list of gear on MS Word. It includes clothes, tools, camping, misc., etc. It's not necessarily a "bring all this stuff list," but a list to review for ideas. Send me a PM with your email address if you want me to send it. And if you think of anything else, let me know.

JB

I got a cool tip, from another rider I met along the road, about packing clothes. .... Bring your about-to-be-tossed t-shirts and throw them away after wearing. That way you have room for the really cool new ones you buy along the way!

Take just 3 socks (preferably, all the same).

In the morning: put yesterday's left-foot sock on your right foot, wash yesterday's right-foot sock and tie it to your handlebar, and put the 3rd (clean) sock on your left foot.

Repeat... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing nobody mentioned was a phone card. Last time I got stuck in the middle of nowhere Maine I didn't have cell phone service and when I finally found a pay phone I didn't have any change. The long worn phone card that I had in my wallet ended up coming in mighty handy.

One thing nobody mentioned was a phone card. Last time I got stuck in the middle of nowhere Maine I didn't have cell phone service and when I finally found a pay phone I didn't have any change. The long worn phone card that I had in my wallet ended up coming in mighty handy.
Nowhere Maine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I live there and your right! :blink: You must have been in the Northern part.

here4s a trick that always worked for me:

get ready the nite before so you can get up just before dawn, have a cup of coffee, and be on your way in 20 - 30 minutes as it's getting light out.

ride a full tank and then stop for a nice breakfast. this approach makes it feel like your day started after breakfast.

700 miles is a long day. I always try to plan it so I finish in daylite. If I have to drive in the dark I;d rather it was in the morning when I'm fresh instead of fatigued end of day.

Bro its an fjr not a harley you need to check your fluids and dont forget to put gas in it! bring a 10 mm and a 12 mm wrench and an allen key for the plastics to get to the battery just in case you ferget to turn off the ingition and kill it the slime is a good idea and the little pump thingy is kewl provided you can run it off your bike. 700 miles is a hop for an fj and the need to bring anything other than creature comfort items is almost not necessary at all. if you have a newer bike susecptable to the ignition switch failure better get it changed before you go cause murphy is always around the corner just waiting to ruin your day! I have owned at least 20 other bikes in as many years of riding and my fjr is an awe inspiring machine reliable to the max and in my opinion the very best machine for the money. I carry a 10 mm wrench and a single allen key a tire plug kit and a hand pump. I have never used any of it!