What to do with a spare tire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marked23

Reaction score
I picked up a nail in my rear tire yesterday. So I had some Pilot Road 3s installed.

But now I have this left-over front tire. It's the stock front tire. It has 2000 miles on it. Am I silly to hold on to it?

Well you may not like the PR3 and may want go back to stock. On the other hand you must have not liked the stock tires otherwise you would have replaced just the rear tire with the stocker.

You didn't say why you didn't replace the rear tire with a new stocker so it is hard to answer your question.

I'd use it. I picked up a nail in my rear tire on a trip home from L. A. I plugged it at the side of the road and made it home okay. I patched it properly and I'm going to ride on it till it's bald.

You aren't silly at all. Just send it to me and I will dispose of it for you...no charge, of course. PM me for details.

Send me the one with the hole. I'm closer. I will use it or give it to somebody passing through that needs a tire to get home.

Donate it!

I keep a spare set of good used tires for those occasions when a "buddy" is passing through and in need. The PNW gang has tire changers north (me) and south (AuburnFJR) so the entire Sound area is covered. We've helped a few folks out from time to time...one never knows when you might need a tire while traveling! Having a country wide support system is what the forum is about.

--G

...you must have not liked the stock tires otherwise you would have replaced just the rear tire with the stocker.

You didn't say why you didn't replace the rear tire with a new stocker so it is hard to answer your question.
I had no problems with the stock tires, but I commute in the rain. So if I'm going to buy a new rear tire, it might as well be one that's made for wet conditions. And since I put a fancy new rain tire on the back, I put a fancy new rain tire on the front too.

So.. no complaints about the stock tires... except that the PR3s are supposed to be great in wet conditions, and I live in the Seattle area.

I'd use it. I picked up a nail in my rear tire on a trip home from L. A. I plugged it...
Oh, the rear tire with the nail in it? I threw that out. I read a bunch of info for-and-against patching... and I'm still undecided. But until I'm not undecided, I err on the side of safety.

If the nail was on the bottom. I patched one like that last May. Rode the bejesus out of it on CA 36 and 49, then did Z rated speeds in Nevada on it...all in all finishing the remaining 3000 miles of the trip after that hole plugged in fine fashion.

Tossing perfectly good tires.... Geez!!!!!

I picked up a nail in a new rear tire on Day 3. Sticky-string, got 11,000 miles out of it.

If you guys throwing away tires (and you others burning premium gas) have all that money to waste, PM me for my Paypal info and send some to me. I don't have any extra, having just hocked my house to the rafters to get through a divorce.

(Well, not just... it's been a year or so, and at least it's still my house! But the begging is real!!! :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Send me the one with the hole. I'm closer. I will use it or give it to somebody passing through that needs a tire to get home.
+1 on donating to Ray. He has set-up many FJR owners in need and has the shop to repair and mount the tire. Who knows, you might benefit from it on a RTE.

RubenRun065.jpg

If it's the OEM Bridgestone, then it's a piece of crap anyways. If it's that tire, I would toss it. There are MUCH better front tires out there.

+1 on donating to Ray. He has set-up many FJR owners in need and has the shop to repair and mount the tire. Who knows, you might benefit from it on a RTE.

RubenRun065.jpg

++1 Ray is the man. I donated a rear with some miles left after he threw a new one for me.It did get used, plus he is always ready to lend a hand when help is needed.

*Note the other two degenerates in the picture supervising Ray are another story but as you can see he even helps them.

Last edited by a moderator: