What touches down next..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking if you get too far into your dragging peg, the next thing to touch the ground just might be your own ass. :) Even if the hard parts don't get you, I would bet running out of usable tire would come up fast.

Okay, understand, I'm coming from the cruiser world when I say this...

I've never dragged a peg on the FJR. I did it routinely on my cruisers though. Honestly, I can't imagine doing it on the FJR without running out of tire. I've got Azaro's.. and their showing wear right to the edge of the tread on the right side, and damn close it on the left. Now granted, this is probably the outside edge of the contact patch when cornering, but, well, shit. Anymore speed through a corner and I'd be at 10/10ths.

You guys do this on the street? I guess that explains a bunch of the crash club icons.

I'm thinking if you get too far into your dragging peg, the next thing to touch the ground just might be your own ass. :) Even if the hard parts don't get you, I would bet running out of usable tire would come up fast.
There is still some unused tread after the pegs touch, so I'm not worried about that. I am mostly concerned with turning into a tight corner too agressively and going past the pegs touching down and right to grounding something hard and levering the tires off the pavement before I even realized what happened.

In all honesty, I did forget to look in NEPRT, but I did do a forum search and couldn't find anything. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand your point and it's well taken. Only ride to the edge of your tread, not beyond.
However... aren't you saying that you cranked on some throttle whilest the bike was leaned over hard to an extreme angle (ie to the point that you expected to be touching the peg feelers).

Doesn't anyone else see a bit of a problem with this?

Now now... You haven't been paying attention. If you had, we'd have learned from the other thread that...

Provided your riding position is correct, and your head is in-line, and you're looking through the corner, that would be acceptable. :unsure:

Low speed drop in parking lot.

All the strength I could muster to keep it from going over to the right.

And only had a small scrape on the right rear portion of the side bag.

Pipe did not show anything.

So my experience has been that the bag touches just before the can.

Mark

Low speed drop in parking lot.All the strength I could muster to keep it from going over to the right.

And only had a small scrape on the right rear portion of the side bag.

Pipe did not show anything.

So my experience has been that the bag touches just before the can.

Mark
Unweighted suspension ^^^^; a bike cornering hard at high lean has a lot more suspension compression than a bike falling out from under you if you lose your footing.

Not being argumentative, just pointing out the difference. With the weight on it in the turn, the muffler gets there first. Probably. I don't lean. I fall in gravel, but I don't lean hard. BIG chicken strips! :blink:

If you wanted to you could get some buddies to help you lean the bike over when park.

And you could step back and look at what is getting close to touch if you where riding it.

Keep in mind your bike will move down from the force of the turn.

I understand your point and it's well taken. Only ride to the edge of your tread, not beyond.
However... aren't you saying that you cranked on some throttle whilest the bike was leaned over hard to an extreme angle (ie to the point that you expected to be touching the peg feelers).

Doesn't anyone else see a bit of a problem with this?

Now now... You haven't been paying attention. If you had, we'd have learned from the other thread that...

Provided your riding position is correct, and your head is in-line, and you're looking through the corner, that would be acceptable. :unsure:
Really...

I have always heard and read that you should never accelerate while leaned over in the middle of a curve. The idea is that you want whatever limited amount of traction that there is in that little contact patch to be available for lateral grip to keep you from sliding sideways. Braking is done before, with progressively lighter trail braking into the corner (but not at the apex). Steady throttle thru the apex of the corner, and then accelerate (gradually) on the way out as the lean angle is decreased.

Or is that just the "old school" way?

[i've always heard and read that you should never accelerate while leaned over in the middle of a curve.
Track school teaches when in doubt twist the throttle and it will save you 9/10 times.

That being said I routinely twist the throttle while leaned over on the track bike and FJR (to a lesser extent). You may step the rear out when doing this, but it will re-connect.

In my avatar, I am on the throttle just before I pass the cones.

The kickstand and center stand will touch before the muffler on the left and pipe on the right - Personal experience

I really didn't mean to start a discussion about technique, I wanted to know whether or not I was in mortal danger shortly after grounding the foot peg feelers...it sounds like I'm not... :D

Thanks,

Ben

I'm not sure what touches down next as it has just been pegs for me (I suspect the pipe or centerstand), but, the over/under is 4 more posts before someone jumps in mentions a criticism of your riding style, the need to hang off more, or need for new suspension components. c'mon guys...don't let me down!!!!
+1 on that :clapping:

There is still some unused tread after the pegs touch, so I'm not worried about that. I am mostly concerned with turning into a tight corner too agressively and going past the pegs touching down and right to grounding something hard and levering the tires off the pavement before I even realized what happened.

In all honesty, I did forget to look in NEPRT, but I did do a forum search and couldn't find anything. :)
There is lots of tread available on the FJR when the pegs touch. That is why I don't get too concerned when they touch. However, it is MUCH safer when you remember that "slow in, fast out" is better and faster. I think as long as you don't overcook your turn entry, the risk is fairly low, IMO.

Me no expert, but what touches down could also depend upon suspension components and suspension set up.

I *routinely* drug pegs on my 06 OEM suspension (3rd set of peg nubbers) even when 'hanging off', 'looking through the corner' blah blah blah.

Then GP Suspension installed a Penske 3-way adjustable shock and performed a full front fork miracle.

I now have to *try* to drag pegs. Sure, I can, using bad technique, just to make a sparkie show, but when riding proficiently (for me at least) with the current suspenders and set up, if I drag a peg, hard parts underneath are very very soon to follow. The margin of error, or cushion zone, feedback zone, is much less now. If the pegs touch, hard parts are just another 2 degrees away. Left what felt like an 8" drift on 58 the other day, got my attention right now if you know what I mean.

So, me thinks what drags all depends upon suspenders, setup, weight, etc.

But I'm no expert, never road raced, no track days, no classes. But I can back an FJR into a corner once in awhile.. :rolleyes:

Okay, understand, I'm coming from the cruiser world when I say this...
I've never dragged a peg on the FJR. I did it routinely on my cruisers though. Honestly, I can't imagine doing it on the FJR without running out of tire. I've got Azaro's.. and their showing wear right to the edge of the tread on the right side, and damn close it on the left. Now granted, this is probably the outside edge of the contact patch when cornering, but, well, shit. Anymore speed through a corner and I'd be at 10/10ths.

You guys do this on the street? I guess that explains a bunch of the crash club icons.

You're not alone; lots of FJRs never scrape their pegs. That's a shame, really :p

Seriously, it's just a matter of developing confidence in the bike's ability. The pegs are there as a warning - "Easy there, Big Fella." As Fencer said a few posts before, you must throttle, NOT BRAKE, when leaning. More than a few riders have joined the Crash Club by braking, when the peg scrapes. Confidence and practice.

At first it would startle me when the pegs would touch during a corner, now I've learned to expect it and it doesn't really bother me, but I'm still a bit leery about turning in too quickly and grounding something hard mounted like the pipes or centerstand.
Once the pegs are down, how much further can you lean before other parts drag?
If you stop and think about it, three points down and you've got a tripod,which defines a plane.

Two wheel contact patches and a peg down is a plane, and as you're grinding, if you get to get to touch other stuff down before losing it, its because the suspension gods have smiled on you and decided that your bike won't have to act like a rigid body on that day at that time in that place.

What parts grind next really only becomes interesting when you've ground or otherwise modified the first stuff that scrapes. Once you get a fourth contact down, you're tripod may or may not include both tire patches, and once a tire patch goes, so do you.

From personal experience!!!

Headers is one option.... Under heavy load, in a righthander, 2 up, 20 mph, overcooked a 10MPH turn.. Duff was with me during WFO

I have had my rear brake PEG (yes, one coming from he engine case) touchdown

I have had my centerstand touch down in an overcooked lefthander, under heavy load (static weight, 2 up. slow speed)

On the track the instructors asked me to slow down because my cans were millimeters from touchdown... high speed with the then modified suspension professionally tuned (by track tuner) that day, penske triple clicker..

The last thing that touched down was me and my wife... we slid 150 feet... Now I almost never touch down... and I am probably harder to follow in the twisties., not braggin, jes sayin,,,,,,,, education...

Doode. I am the last one to preach. I fell off.. but that is the actual order under actual conditions.

it depends on how you are loaded and the chasis attitude at the time.. But eventually,, yer ass touched down....

Mine ass hit the asphalt on 11/4/07.. ATGATT........ I survived in good shape and a bit smarter, I had my wife on board... and it was my dumbass fault... debris or not.. I left no fuckup margin and needed it all.... She was ATGATT too... there is the tread somewhere here on my getoff...