What's the 'Harley' appeal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there anyone on this forum who ONLY ever wants to ride one bike?
More than half the replies are from multi-bike owners....pretty cool. While in HI last year, I rented a Fat Boy for a couple of hours. It was kind of cool for what we used it for, slow cruising around the outside of the island. I would consider owning one, but like others have said, not as my only bike.

I doubt HD owners buy their bikes thinking it's the best handling machine for the money. I think the machines of the social circle also plays a part. If your best buddies all ride HDs, chances are....

Jason, you said you had a VTX1800 but it didn't fit your style. Just curious what drove the purchase ? Also like to know how you like that KLR...considering one.

Brian
Hey there Brian -

Actually, I bought the VTX because the FZ1 I was riding at the time was way too tempting to the old right wrist. :D I wanted to slow down and try a cruiser for a while... I was afraid most cruisers would be *too slow* so I went with the 1800 which had enough oomph to go when asked to... but the cruiser position stopped the 100+ mph trips in a hurry! What I didn't foresee was the low pegs and heavy weight hurt it drastically in the corners, something I really like to play in. :)

The KLR is a great bike for the buck - it's perfect 2nd bike for kicking around town, exploring the back roads of the NW mountain ranges, or even long rides at 65 mph or less... It's fun in the corners and good and comfortable. Riding it, I feel like I could go anywhere! It's also bone simple to work on, everything is easy to access and maintain. The cons are, it's really down on power (40hp) and the big front fender, stock tires, and oversized handguards make it challenging on the freeway. But where I ride mine (around town mostly) it's great!

I've owned all kinds of bikes from BMW to Yamaha and must admit the Harleys kept their resale value better than most. I have a Road King and an FJR and like both. The FJR is for solo riding and the King for 2 up. No we don't ride to the dealers to get a hot dog or wear leathers but do like traveling on the RK when the wife comes along. The HD performs better than my old VTX and never has left on the road side like the VTX did due to a poor ground contact point. It cannot match the FJR for long haul fast solo riding but I still love to ride it. I get about 11000 miles per year and of that about 5000 on the HD. Some of the folks who own HDs are a little over the top just like some who own FJRs. People are people and there are as many asses in one group as another. Would I buy another HD? Yup as long as they continue to hold the resale value. It's just flat out fun to ride something different. The worst bike I ever owned was a BMW CLC that was nothing but trouble.

Actually, at the HD forums, there are several guys that own, or have owned, an FJR. Not all Harley owners are intolerant. Most of em are no more intolerant than, say, Yamaha guys are about Harley riders. :rolleyes:

And not all Harley riders tool around in beanies and t-shirts. I ride with a Tourmaster armored textile riding suit and full-face helmet on my sporty. (Leathers are kinda hard to deal with at 100 degrees + during the summer out here.)

Oh, you can buy into the Harley Lifestyle theory all you want (and there are a lot of people who do), but for a rider/biker/enthusiast or whatever tag you wish to pin to your pocket, a Harley is still a motorcycle and it's still built to be ridden. I bought one. I rode it and I loved it. Stuck chrome this and that on it and bought the matching leather jacket and vest. So what? What, you guys have no clothing that has a Yamaha logo on it?

For argument sake; haven't we bought into the 'Sport-Touring Lifestyle'? Don't we buy all of the S-T gizmos, gee-gaws and farkles just like the Harley guys buy cruiser stuff? Don't we like to park and talk about our bikes and be seen on them? Don't we fuss, tweak, modify and tune them to no end? Hell, we even put on loud pipes.

My, my, which one of you is Kettle and which one is Pot? I can't tell you two apart.

PS, Saunter on over to the IBA site and check out which brand has the greatest number of completed rides. Hint: It ain't Yamaha. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anyone on this forum who ONLY ever wants to ride one bike?
man_hand_raised.jpg

Too many guys I know are busted up bad from riding in the dirt. If I never get another injury, it'll be too soon. My FJR is plenty fast enough to keep me constantly on the verge of big trouble with the authorities. What more could I want for?

Answer - An October vacation, just the ticket to run my in-state 1500!

Don't say ticket!

Very much like non-riders not understanding why we ride???? :(
That's a good retort, Mike. Shouldn't we all be happy that there is a style of motorcycle out there that fits almost everyone's need? For some the HD has all the features they are looking for. For others, it's the FJR, or a myriad of other wonderful machines. Our choices would be so limited if not for that great variety.
That is certainly true, and I don't think anyone is saying that Harleys are bad for being different. No, far from that.

Personally I don't like that they are fostering the anti-social aspects of motorcycling.

They give the rest of motorcycling a bad reputation.

Actually, at the HD forums, there are several guys that own, or have owned, an FJR. Not all Harley owners are intolerant. Most of em are no more intolerant than, say, Yamaha guys are about Harley riders. :rolleyes:
And not all Harley riders tool around in beanies and t-shirts. I ride with a Tourmaster armored textile riding suit and full-face helmet on my sporty. (Leathers are kinda hard to deal with at 100 degrees + during the summer out here.)
You are in a small, small minority.

Here in NH, nearly all cruiser riders go sans helmet.

The ones that come here from out of state have their DOT beanies strapped to the back.

Some of the metric cruiser guys wear beanies or half helmets.

You never see a guy on a cruiser with a full face here.

OK, the HH committee is at an impasse......let's have a three hour break and resume after lunch.

Thanks for the great analysis MM...very thoughtful, and right on.

I guess many of us are buying in to some kind of image....we are trained from an early age...McDonald's anyone?

Who hasn't watched, and enjoyed to one extent or another, American Chopper? The Teutul's make great TV, and sell a shitload of high dollar bikes, for themselves and HD...

Always wished there was a ST or at least a sportbike equiv....and then along came Alton Brown and Feasting on Asphalt (I was so pissed when he couldn't finish the first season due to a fall...). The show was nirvana for a ST riding chef like myself...

I am really liking this....

I don't 'get it', either. Harleys aren't Made in USA anymore - so that's blown. They're outsourced to the max. They even have a factory in China. I saw a comparison showing that a Goldwing has more actual Made in USA parts these days, than a Harley.

I grew up with a barn full of the things. They were great, when I was a kid. When I grew up, the things lost all appeal. I might inherit one of the things, but you couldn't just give me one, today. I'd put it up for sale, like the thousands you see on cycletrader.

The most interesting thing about the Harley phenomenom, is that people who don't own them, seem to spend an awful lot of time worrying about the silly people who do. If you've never had one, you really need to try riding one. Afterwards, I doubt you'll give a Harley much thought.

Cruisers are fun. To borrow... For an hour.

The most interesting thing about the Harley phenomenom, is that people who don't own them, seem to spend an awful lot of time worrying about the silly people who do. If you've never had one, you really need to try riding one. Afterwards, I doubt you'll give a Harley much thought.
I've never owned one. Unless they come way down in price, I probably never will.

OK. So basically they're a lot like a jet ski. ;)

I've never owned one. Unless they come way down in price, I probably never will.

OK. So basically they're a lot like a jet ski. ;)

roughest ride i've ever had was 10 minutes on a jet ski :blink:

Personally I don't like that they are fostering the anti-social aspects of motorcycling. They give the rest of motorcycling a bad reputation.
They? So, by 'they', I hope you mean the ass-hat sport-touring riders who split lanes at 100 mph (/raises hand) or sport bike riders who use local roads as race tracks or Gold Wing riders who fail to yield while poking along at 30 under the posted limit or dual sport and dirt bike riders who ride off limits or the CHP zipping in and out of lanes with no other mission but to call it a day...

C'mon, it ain't the genre or the brand, rather, it's the asshole on it.

Personally I don't like that they are fostering the anti-social aspects of motorcycling. They give the rest of motorcycling a bad reputation.
They? So, by 'they', I hope you mean the ass-hat sport-touring riders who split lanes at 100 mph (/raises hand) or sport bike riders who use local roads as race tracks or Gold Wing riders who fail to yield while poking along at 30 under the posted limit or dual sport and dirt bike riders who ride off limits or the CHP zipping in and out of lanes with no other mission but to call it a day...

C'mon, it ain't the genre or the brand, rather, it's the asshole on it.
Yup. I wasn't gonna call you out on that, but since you volunteered... It's you!!