What's the 'Harley' appeal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and although I did not buy into the cruiser-scene mentality of beanie helmets, do-rags, chaps, bar cruising, etc., what I DID respect of HD riders is that THEY ARE RIDING. Go out any weekend and what do you see - HDs all over the place.
I passed many a trailered bike on my last trip down to Daytona for Biketoberfest. Almost without exception they were Harleys.

No need to go to the Harley dealership for a test ride. Just go to this website:https://www.valkyrieriders.com/harley/home.htm

:yahoo:

Hmmmmm... Do they still make Valkies? ;)
No, but it was one of the few Japanese cruisers that wasn't "me too." It's too bad it didn't sell well enough--it played to the "Honda *Motor* Company's" strengths.

That 1500 opposed six from the wing looked a bit strange from some angles (from the front especially), but there was no confusing it with the ocean of V-twins out there. And it looked a lot better than that monstrosity 2300 from Triumph.

I did:
IMG_0563.jpg

Sold it, too. ;)

Wow, cool picture Tim. You know you are getting old when this picture excites you more than those on page 6. Note, I am talking about all you other old farts and not me.

Just for the record, not all harley riders are posers or shitty rider. However, there is a presumption against them that many should strive to overcome. Some of the best riders I know ride or used to ride hd- TWN, Dcaver, mikeyork (minus that accident), tim in SD. Hell, even I used to have a 1988 hog. But it was a piece of shit and I was a poser without much skill. Some would agrue that is still the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the record, not all harley riders are posers or shitty rider. However, there is a presumption against them that many should strive to overcome. Some of the best riders I know ride or used to ride hd- TWN, Dcaver, mikeyork (minus that accident), tim in SD. Hell, even I used to have a 1988 hog. But it was a piece of shit and I was a poser without much skill. Some would agrue that is still the case.
Thanks Barry - but I can't classify what I did a accident - more like pure stupidty - or - like steeping in front of a moving bus to see what happens, or .....(I could go on, but what the hell).

Iv'e been watching this thread for a while and wonder whyall the fuss. As you can tell by my handle I rode a panhead and I rode it for 18 years! Does that mean when I go to NAFO none of you are going to hang out with me? I rode old Triumph's for 10 years before that does that mean none of you are going to hang out with me. I don't think it should matter what anyone rides good people are good people! Bad or Bad, take the time to know someone before you judge.

Iv'e been watching this thread for a while and wonder whyall the fuss. As you can tell by my handle I rode a panhead and I rode it for 18 years! Does that mean when I go to NAFO none of you are going to hang out with me? I rode old Triumph's for 10 years before that does that mean none of you are going to hang out with me. I don't think it should matter what anyone rides good people are good people! Bad or Bad, take the time to know someone before you judge.
To me, being an old sales and marketing guy, I've always been more interested in how the buying decision is made for various types of owners. The major clue to understanding is to watch "what works" for m/c builders and how they go to market.

In the case of Harley-Davidson, they have always touted two major themes, truthfully or otherwise.

1. It's an "American" machine (Even though probably having a significant percentage of imported parts). Certainly the "badge" goes way back in time.

2. It's a way to tell the world you're independent and not just a mild mannered accountant from Des Moines. The great irony is that H-D owners tend to appear all alike in dress and on-the-road riding behavior. Same with their bikes, which sell in great numbers. They're slow, loud and shout, "Look at me! Look at me!"

In the end, people who buy Harleys aren't interested in performance or technology. They want to be seen (and heard!) more than getting their hands full of grease, for the most part, it seems to me. (That's okay. Whatever floats your boat.)

It's fair to say that sport bikers buy speed and performance. Sport-Touring buyers pretty much want it all. Speed, performance and reliability.

Analyzing builders' advertising really tells you why people buy what they buy. Same with cars and trucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own FJR's and a Harley softail. I really enjoy riding both types of bikes, but there are big differences. The best way I can describe it is like this: The FJR accelerate, stops, and handles way better than my Harley, but there is a different feeling you get when you are on the Harley. It is like comparing the driveability a 66 big block Corvette to a new Z06 corvette, they are both cool and fun to drive, but in much different ways. I have met many Ahole Harley riders that snub their noses at anything that is not made by Harley, but the majority of riders just love the open road and appreciate their fellow riders no matter what they ride.

There is a 2002 V-rod sitting next to my newly aquired FJR. I have rode Harleys for 20 years and this Friday the V-Rod is being sold to a friend of mine. I like the Harley's but I can't believe I waited sooooo long to buy another Jap bike. Especially this bike. I won't go back cause I've found a better mousetrap. I won't miss the Harley one bit. It is great for what it is designed for...not what that is but it's great. The FJR is a rush to ride....not telling you boys anything you don't already know.

Let me try this one you... I can buy ANY part on my 1991 FLHTCU [SIZE=8pt](think Goldwing)[/SIZE] from any HD dealer.. and the part is AVAILABLE.

Try that with an FJR 15 years from now...

[SIZE=8pt]Sorry sir, the ECU is no longer available. Perhaps you should buy a newer model?[/SIZE]

Come to think of it, I can obtain more HD parts for my 1991 model from the dealer than you can for your FJR...

..and no, don't go there, I've had much more problems with my FJR than the HD..

Well, this diatribe is over. Perhaps I shouldn't post this. I don't want to inflame the Feejer masses. Rather, just try to understand that some enjoy the relaxed pace, the parts availability, and American continuum that only a Harley can provide. For me, the FJR is a consumable conglomeration of parts that will be obsolete and over with in 5 years.

But what a 5 years! :rolleyes:
Good observation dcarver! I think you have hit on one of the dynamics in the market now and it explains the pricing action on new and used bikes. With the lack of scarcity of Motor Company® product lately a phenomenon has appeared that we haven't seen in ages. Harley-Davidson® produced motorbikes are depreciating faster than their Japanese and European counterparts. This paradox is true through year 5, then the Japanese and Euro motorcycles depreciate at a faster rate while the Milwaukee Mammoths level off.

Several analysts have looked at the issue and I think the best postulation so far lies in the technology of the product. There is a substantial volume of used Harley-Davidson® product on the market. A 5 year old used Harley-Davidson® is not much different than a new Harley-Davidson®. Styling cues remain frozen in time(circa 1953), save for the addition of a new chrome duhickey here and there that you can purchase and add to your older Harley-Davidson® for $100 to $500 at your local Harley-Davidson® dealer.

Japanese and Euro bikes tend to be very different vehicles after 5 years or more. Those manufacturers operate at the speed of the automobile industry. Climb on older FJ1200 and then on the FJR. The FJ1200 would seem ancient. Climb on similar vintage Harley-Davidson® bikes and you would think the clock hasn't moved. They even share many parts 20 to 30 years later. Expectations are much higher for performance for the Japanese/Euro bikes. Just as pushrod motors gave way to overhead cams, carbs to FI, bad brakes to ABS, etc. the metric manufacturers keep evolving. Without that baggage you have the Harley-Davidson® business model.

I do understand the allure. People around here collect old John Deere tractors, 50's cars, vinyl records, 8 track tapes, dial telephones and Tiffany glass from the turn of the last century. It gives us a sense of history. Harley-Davidson® has chosen to keep producing history.

This thread makes me think of the old Harley line...

"If I have to explain, you just won't understand."

:ph34r:

I've had my Harley for 9 years and I love it. It's cold-blooded, cantankerous, loud, slow (for a bike), it doesn't really handle very well, the brakes suck... But I love it. Some days I think it has bi-polar disorder. It'll be running great, just purring right on down the road... Then, all of a sudden, it'll start kicking and backfiring and sputtering and basically fighting me down the road. But, I love it. It has more personality than any bike I have ever owned.

The FJR is one helluva bike, but the 2 are completely different. With the FJR, you tell it to go, and it goes. Tell it to stop, it stops. Tell it to turn, it turns. No muss, no fuss.

Harleys also have a completely different 'feel' compared to other bikes I've ridden. I'm not talking about the vibration here - even though it shakes pretty good at idle, at speed it's actually quite smooth. Harleys feel big... The Jap bikes I've owned seemed to always try to feel small. The controls of my Harley have a certain heft to them, while the controls on the FJR try to be light.

So, Harley's 'lifestyle marketing' aside, just speaking about the motorcycles, to me, a Harley is a completely different riding experience compared to the FJR.

As for the Harley riders... Well, it's just like any other cross-section of society. I've ridden with riders who are bad-asses, and I've ridden with some who are as white-collar as can be. The love of the Harley is the common denominator, though. I've ridden with some amazinlgly talented riders, and I've ridden with complete posers - in a previous life, the ex-SO and I would ride with some friends of hers - he had a Heritage Softail that rarely came out of the garage. When it did, they rode 2-up, no helmets. He was a terrible driver. He scared the crap out of me. He couldn't hardly take the bike through a sweeper and hold a line. Scary, 'cause he usually would gravitate toward the center line. I decided that I'll never ride with him again.

Frankly the socieity we live in probablly on a whole just see's bikes as bikes. Some like em some don't. If you break that down some more, people in general see two types of bikes, those that are paying some attention that is, as the Harley cruiser type bikes and the crotch rocket sport type bikes.

Now you can talk and seperate the types of people that ride these bikes all day but on one end of the spectrum of the cruiser Harley riders there are those leather wearing outlaw types that are riding around making trouble in general and on the other end of the sport type crotch rocket type bikes are those tee shirt wearing squidly types that are riding around making trouble.

And then there are those in the middle who are middle to upper class folks just minding their own business riding around just having fun or going to work on their Harley cruiser type bikes and their crotch rocket sport type bikes not causing much trouble.

And the point is....................who cares. But really we all know that those who are riding around on their FJR's, causing trouble or not are the best bikers in the world and have the best bikes. And better yet are those FJR riders who have HD's or other type bikes that they can also ride when needed. It's not Harley Appeal, its MotorCycle Appeal. Now that's what I'm talkiin about.......Nuf said.....PM. <>< :yahoo:

I did the Harley as a status symbol; then I wanted a real bike and bought an FJR. I still know lots of guys who think they have arrived.

BBQ

Ah fer crissakes this shit is still arousing ya'll? Then somebody quotes Carver?

Shit! put a sock in it, turn up the heat, and douse with gravy.... This thing shoulda died back in April.

Lesbians love Harleys Hence the appeal.

Can we drop this now?

:jester: