Whats The secret to cold wet weather clear vision.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkirk

Reaction score
:blink: Okay I have tried 4 or 5 different items that claims no fogging . The Fog city insert for the faceshields The Foggy face piece that hooks on your nose and velcrose to your helmet also the Arai version, they kind of help. Zooke anti fog spray and wax, scuba anti fog sea drops , Rain X anti fog and Rain X that dispences the rain, even spit. I use them liberly on my shields and glasses.

I see pictures of you guys riding in snow and rain ? what gives

I just tried to take a ride up Cojon Pass in the cold rain in So. Calif. It was a miricle I didn't get run over . I couldn't see squat thru the helmet shield the bike wind shield and when I raised up my helmet shield to try and see thru my glasses they instantly were worthless too from the fog and spray. I would wipe the Helmet shield with my glove squeegy and all it did was streek. I pulled off at the first available off ramp and thanked God for looking out for me. So. Calif. traffic this time of the year in wet weather is nuts.

What I thought would be a fun ride ended up being a unsafe learning experience.

Okay you veterens, what really works for full face helmets. My helmet is a Arai Quantem.

Thanks, Dan.

I leave the clear visor cracked (opened) very slightly (1/8th of an inch or so-1st click open from the closed position) to allow a bit of air cirulation. It works pretty well. Nolan Flip helmet with the front closed-only the visor opened slightly. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same with my Shoei. I barely open the visor, then play with the windhield height until I am not getting a "full face blast", but low enough to cause some air to move under the face shield. This gntle wind is also enough to keep the rain moving "off" the face shield. It worked good enough for me to ride home in the rain today (only 40 miles or so) in the Sacramento Valley.

Actually, I think I read somewhere that the best anit-fog is your own saliva!?!?!?!? In the winter time, I always finish cleaning my faceshield by "fogging" it with my own breath.

Two Words...

FOG CITY!

I only swear by a few aftermarket items, this is one of them. They are kinda spendy (price per pound) but it works as advertised.

Hey dkirk... from definitely a veteran here...an ole trick is spraying a solution of soapy water (liquid dish detergent is best) to the inside of your visor, then wipe dry with a soft cloth (not paper towel...it can scratch). Repeat again...and you should be fog free for some time! Also, if you treat the outside surface of your visor with wd40 (silicone works too)...spray and soft cloth...you will find that the surface stays remarkably water droplet free. These 2 methds along with the aforementioned keeping the visor cracked open a bit, will yield the ultimate result! :assasin:

dkirk, I recently saw a product at the bike show, which is about to be released as part of the shoei line of helmet accessories. I tried and tried to get this insert to fog, with zero success. It really does work and is easy to apply to the visor. The inserts are also available in different shades, that give you the option of clear, dark smoke, light smoke, yellow etc.

www.pinlockusa.com

I also have a foggy insert and when used correctly will work as advertised. For me the foggy's going bye bye to be replaced with the pinlock product. One less thing to mess with IMHO.

The problem you will always face is to prevent your glasses from fogging. This may sound funny, but you may be a mouth breather. A lot of riders do this subconsciously, especially when the road turns twisty. You must train yourself to breath only through your nose to help prevent fogging. Also if your helmet has an insert to deflect air from going up toward your glasses, will help as well. Contact your helmet manufacturer, they may offer an insert that will go a long way to prevent fogging.

Also I notice that some of the shoei guys posting are cracking the visor open to prevent fogging. Did you know that there is a little lever on the side of the helmet, that once clicked into position will keep the visor open just a tad to help prevent fogging? The other position will also lock the visor down for safety.

I bought the foggy based upon the testamony here. And I must say that it works great for me. I dont have to mess with it, it stays in place and I haven't touched it for a month or so.

Have taken it riding at 25 degrees without a problem. The only time I had a problem with it, it had slipped "up" a bit and wasnt as tight to the face.

FWIW.

Caba

I've heard that smearing and wiping some shaving cream on the inside of the visor works quite well. I've never tried it though.... I keep forgetting to do so.

Crack the visor... best solution. If the cold rushing through bothers you, wear a face scarf.

I've also heard of good results using - don't remember the exact name - Cat Poop or something like that. Really!

3M also makes a clear film that you can apply to the inside of the shield that does not fog. It's designed and marketed to the medical community.

Recently I've seen a couple of ads in the rags for a separate sheet of lexan than mounts to the inside of your shield and creates an air gap providing insulation and hence preventing fogging.

Rain-X is not good for plastics or so I've heard...

I bought a Pin Lock visor and insert for my Shoei RF-1000 the last time I was in Germany. The Pin Lock system is better than anthing else I've ever used. 90% of the time, I can ride with the shield fully closed with no fogging. And in the Seattle area, that's a bit of an accomplishment. In a pouring rain, I may have to crack the visor open a bit especially if I'm sitting still at a light. But I'm very happy with the Pin Lock system.

I think that all the Shoei RF-1000s in Germany (which are called something else like X-1000) come standard with them. You can either get the shield with the holes predrilled for the pins or just get an insert and drill the pin holes yourself.

The downside is that I still don't know if you can get these in the US. I've been hearing since last summer that they were going to start selling them but I don't know of a source.

Cheers,

Jim

+1 from Seattle for the FogCity (Proshield) liners

Dealer installed the clear sheet on my visor ~2 months ago - haven't had any problems with fog since. Only drawback is some minor 'starring' of headlights, etc. at night.

Pinlock system also looks interesting - if it fits your helmet.

Since I am not familiar with the "Fog City", I have a question. In the original post, dkirk says this didn't work for him. This appears to be a "stick-on" film, so is it still the issue of air circulating past to keep the moisture from settling on the film? And his glasses?

It looks as if the Pin Lock system will leave an air gap, thus a temperature differential (theoretically), but air movement will probably still be needed to keep it clear.

+1 for the Pin-Lock visor insert.

I ended up buying this from Europe, for use with a Shoei RF1000 helmet. It is an insert clipped to the inside of the shield with an air gap, that is sealed with a clear, non-sticky bead seal. It can be quickly changed out, removed, cleaned, etc. The other "stick on" types are permanent, and have ugly black seals.

This product actually worked well in my case. I have been impressed. 19 degrees, shield closed at stop lights, no fog.

In Europe, these are availble for a variety of helmets, but it sounds like Shoei is to be the importer to the US.

Special predrilled shields are offered, and would be less effort, but I used a self install kit, with a drill template used to drill two small holes in the visor. I installed into a clear shield, and a light smoke shield. I drilled the holes exactly the same size as the pins (smaller than recommended), so that they fit snug and stay in when the insert is not used. The pins will not stay in otherwise - not sure about predrilled shields. If the pin locations are not right, they will not hold the insert with enough tension to compress the seal properly. The pins are ecentric for adjustability, and I spun them towards the inside to tighten up the seal some.

A US distributor:

No luck here back in November. They were not in US yet. Recommending calling and asking (real person).

https://www.helmetharbor.com/streethelmets/...ock/opening.htm

UK distributor - where I bought from:

More pricey this way.

https://thevisorshop.com/acatalog/Main_Menu...NSERTS_225.html

Pin-lock -

Yes, glasses will still fog up. I can fog it in cases, but it is definately more forgiving, and needs less ventilation to stay fog free, relative to the regular shield with anti-fog.

May not work for everyone. I wanted to try it because I thought it might be less obtrusive than a foggy breath mask. I was also having trouble with too much moisture getting in and distorting the shield when I left it cracked on foggy or rainy mornings.

Since I am not familiar with the "Fog City", I have a question.  In the original post, dkirk says this didn't work for him.  This appears to be a "stick-on" film, so is it still the issue of air circulating past to keep the moisture from settling on the film?  And his glasses?It looks as if the Pin Lock system will leave an air gap, thus a temperature differential (theoretically), but air movement will probably still be needed to keep it clear.
The film causes any water that condenses on it to spread out into a single clear layer, instead of individual droplets (fogging). Airflow over the film isn't required.

The film can be very tricky to get on - my dealer (Renton Motorcycles in Seattle) was happy (even insistent) to do the install, since the adhesive is really sticky, so you basically get one-shot at the application.

FogCity did have a problem with the adhesive awhile ago, but it appears to have been resolved ( https://www.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/aftermarket/wind.html ). Perhaps dkirk tried it back then(??)

Pinlock looks really interesting - if you've got a Shoei helmet. I'll be interested in trying it once they get one for my HJC.

I'd assume that cold glasses are still gonna fog w/o some airflow - need to crack the visor or use something like "Cat Crap" for that. https://www.catcrap.com/

The thing I found with the Fog City, other than the previously mentioned 'starring' of oncoming lights, make sure you put it on BEFORE you need it. If there is already fog/condensation going on, all it will do is trap it inside. I've used them a few times, but, don't like them. I've had a lot of success with Zooke anti-fog spray and wax. I have to reapply it pretty often, but, it seems to work good (along with the occasional slight crack of the visor when it's real bad).