Wheaton and airboss do Kalifornia (did we really do this?)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. It was nice reuniting with you guys when you showed up 3-hours after we had arrived at Bodega Inn...

Sounds like we both had good days... :clapping:

If there ever is a next time, it looks like there is more to see...wish I could see it all.

I just thought I'd say the code is cracked, and here are the rest of the photos on this segment...

https://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/wheatonFJR/2011%20KALI%20TRIP/21%20MAY%20SAT/?start=all

A couple omitted photos I liked..

2011MAYKALITRIP223.jpg

Check out the bank-angles.

2011MAYKALITRIP256.jpg

Tyler blushes?

2011MAYKALITRIP237.jpg

Karl looks like he is having a ball!!!
You can't see where my left hand is, can you? :D :lol:

I leave this day's RR with images from one of my new favorite spots on the planet…on a lonely road amongst the hills between the Golden Gate Bridge and Bodega Bay. Being alone here in the late afternoon sun and the gusty winds…was like being in Church. The way Church was meant to be…

…so, although no rapture occurred this day in May, great and wonderful things happened.
Seems as though you had a different kind of rapture that day so perhaps it did happen but in an unexpected way... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great third installment Mark!

I'm with Pops here, love all the happenings at the overlook. Thanks for clearing up everything for me! ;) It was pretty COLD that time of the morning with the wind! :lol:

--G

If I had to pick one, this was my favorite day of the trip, the people, Alice's, the bridge, the rolling hills, and great roads.

Great RR Mark, Thank You; an excellent adventure with Fine FJR Forum Friends, many thanks for the nice memories!

A couple omitted photos I liked..

2011MAYKALITRIP223.jpg
Ummm Tom, This one wasn't omitted.

BTW, By all means peruse the photobucket photos...I have no problem with anyone viewing those there...

But please let me tell my own story with MY own photos okay? Clear?

...I'm happy to see yours, they're so much better than mine.

Everyone else, thanks for your comments...

Gonna sit down and bathe myself in the whole report this eve, Wheatman.

....and eat a container of olives......and drink a Blue Moon Ale.

biggrin.gif
Yeah, it was nice to finally "buy you a beer"...after all the great reports you've done. Blue Moon works for me...as do many others.

Unfortunately, this WHOLE report so far is still only the first 8 days...many good days yet to write about. :yahoo:

Unfortunately, this WHOLE report so far is still only the first 8 days...many good days yet to write about. :yahoo:
So how much longer ya gonna make us wait there, hmmmmm? :)
As long as necessary. ;)

Actually, I've been typing up Sunday's report and will put part 4 (Sun/Mon/Tues) together in one lump...so hopefully I will have that typed up by the end of the weekend. I was interrupted by weekly shopping with wifey...and there is a little thing called a wedding today for my brother...so yes, there is life apart from the forum that continually interrupts.

However, I know that as time moves on this report gets more and more irrelevant...so I am hurrying myself on as much as I can...each day of the trip was very meaningful, so there are alot of good moments ahead to share. I don't want to give any day short shrift...so soon it should be ready. Take a ride, whilst I type away in a dingy basement, see if I care... :p

2011 Kali Trip – Wheaton and Airboss do Kalifornia –

Sorry about the long delay between installments. I know the longer time passes, this RR gets more irrelevant…but I just need time between writing installments to recharge. Believe or not, doing this writing takes a lot out of me…I am not cut out for writing.

Now for the next day's RR installment…

Part4 – Norcal Roads – You gotta be freaking kidding me, (Days 9, 10 & 11), 22, 23 and 24 May

22 May (Day 9)

SUN-MAY22BODEGABAYTOFORTUNA.jpg

Well, this morning had a different feel to it. Kind of a day of transition…some of the south and central Kali riders were turning and heading south today. I had been riding with Fairlaner, Tyler, Beemerdons, et al…for a couple days…they were heading back today. Karl and I were heading north to new areas of Kali…with a new ride leader – Rich/exskibum.

I was kind of distracted that morning, as I was out checking out the bike, tires, fluids, etc…I saw on the sight glass that my oil was down at the bottom of the sight glass. Not good. Sunday. Northern Kali along the coast. It had been a little bit low the day before…but not this low. Karl says I haven't been burning it. It might be that middle engine shaft seal blowing oil by…in any event, I had to get oil from somewhere…and quick. We had plenty of miles to go that day and I didn't want to be late for KSU for my new ride leader. I went down to the motel breakfast area and quickly ate a little breakfast. I talked to MM a little bit about where I might find some oil, I talked to others as well. I went out the registration door and I see Beemerdons and Brodie on their bikes about to launch for points south. I asked in desperation if either of them might have some oil I could borrow. Beemerdons, bless his Irish heart, had some as a backup for Lucy Liu (his FJR) and said sure, I could have what he had. He gave Lucy Liu a splash and gave me the rest. THANKS Beemerdons!!!!!! You made a huge difference in this trip with your generosity…got my pulse back to normal.

I didn't know who all was going up north with us. As it turned out, Tyler, Erin, and CAJW +wifey were running with us that morning along the coast and heading inland on Skaggs Springs Rd. After that, they would turn south, and we would continue north. The northbound crew was Rich/exskibum with his GF Elizabeth, RussPerry, Karl and I.

After I topped off at the local station, I snapped this photo…Tippy Hedren…ah yes… :rolleyes:

2011MAYKALITRIP260.jpg

Once the crew was all set, we headed up HWY 1. What a glorious Highway. A bit brisk, but clear, not foggy…so we were GOOD. Others have much better photos, but I took a few photos as well as we headed up the coast…

2011MAYKALITRIP261.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP263.jpg

We met up at Stewart's Point for a short break and photos. We then headed east across 1 on Skaggs…Rich in the lead, I was second, but I waved CAJW ahead as I was on an unfamiliar road and didn't want to hold anybody up. It was a neat beautiful goaty road at first. Something about goaty roads that make me feel like I'm exploring…I don't know why. I just love 'em. So were twisting and winding on this road for awhile, then all of a sudden we get to …a…RACETRACK???? What is this?? Who built this sucker???

Enough questions, it's time to move…people are leaving me in the dust! YAHOO!! I am moving along pretty good…or so I thought. Anyways, I am having a blast!

I get into a corner and am seeing that my bike is not set up to keep the pace I am going, I did not adjust the suspension…I was still in sightseeing mode…soft rear shock, and stiff front forks which I did not get dialed in before the trip (or during the trip..my bad)…in any event the front tire feels light and not feeling planted…so I back it off a tad. I wave Russ around so he can have some fun…he is a good rider and has fun chasing amazing supersmooth Rich/Elizabeth. I am such an average rider, being left in the dust by a 2-upper! :D

At the east end of Skaggs Springs Rd, I see Rich, Russ parked to the right…so I pull up behind them. With my helmet on, I am just exclaiming over and over…"Holy Crap…HOLY CRAP. HOLY CRAAAAP!!!!" I hear laughter in the background…I now realize others heard my inner thoughts…and I laugh, too.

Well, the cold ocean wind is gone and replaced by inland warmth, so I strip out of my fancy yellow banana rainsuit for awhile. This would be repeated during the day as we jogged inland then out to the coast again.

We said our good-byes to those heading south…until next time. Please let there be a next time. Kali is too fun to only go once.

We had great fun, taking the twisty road out to the coast and then back north on HWY 1. Took some more photos at an overlook…I bet Elizabeth has some great pictures to share…

Rich and Elizabeth on his beautiful blue FJR

2011MAYKALITRIP264.jpg

The northbound crew Rich/Elizabeth, RussPerry, Karl, and my bike as tail end Charlie…

2011MAYKALITRIP265.jpg

As we headed up the coast, we saw scene after beautiful scene, rode curve after beautiful curve. Headed inland on 1 as it goes to meet 101. I am going to have to do that again after I get my bike dialed in.

The rest of the trip I kind of backed off the speed a bit…about ¾ of what I usually might do. I should have been good enough to just adjust things on the fly, I did adjust the rear and the front a little bit…but it still never felt right. So I enjoyed things in tourist mode a lot, occasionally wicking it up as much as I felt comfortable with on the bike. I could have asked someone to help..but I didn't. Quite frankly, the days were long and action packed, and I was still having great fun…so why spend other's time to work on that?

I have to admit culpability on something that happened next…"the flyby" past FarWestFastEddie in Garberville. Evidently Eddie had posted on the Forum the night before that he would be waiting for us in Garberville. Karl and I should have let Rich in on Eddie's desire to meet us on the way up to Fortuna…why we didn't, I don't know. That was the big first mistake…not clueing the ride leader into a meetup. I totally forgot about this meetup the day of the ride…oops :(

The group was heading northward on 101 and were in a section just south of Garberville when there was a left lane blocker backing several cars up in the left lane. There was a slow right hand lane car actually just slightly ahead of the lane blocker. The gap got just big enough so Rich and Russ slipped through the knot. I slipped in through just as the blocker saw what was happening and decided to close the gap…I just got by, but Karl couldn't. NOW…the blocker has decided to find the pedal on the right and use it. So he is moving up on my rear view mirrors, and I see Karl has moved in behind him and gets past him and Karl pulls up to his previous spot on my six. Now Rich is moving, but just at a good pace…nothing to draw the attention of LEOs. The pickup truck, on the other hand, is continuing to move up on our group…getting closer.

It was about this time that we rounded a slight curve into a clearing…and on the left hand side I notice an FJR in a parking lot…hey that's an FJR! Then I notice the FJR rider waving…nice friendly guy. Then I notice him waving more vigorously…uh…what's going on? Then as the #3 rider, I see him turn around in disgust as our group passes him…I NOW realize that this may be the guy that we were supposed to meet up with. OOPS.

Now, that pickup is getting even closer on Karl's tail and getting my attention. Do we slow down and stop with this jackwaggen on our butts? With Rich not knowing anything of this meetup? Well, the right answer was to stop. Sorry Eddie, I know that I was part of screwing up your day and felt bad about that. Still do. I guess I was hoping that you would try and take off and try to catch us, knowing where we were ending up…oh well, thanks for shaking off that bad episode and having fun with us the next day. I owe you a beer for the next time out there…

The pickup eventually receded in the mirror…I don't know what his bag was, but his behavior definitely changed after we slipped past his little blocking deal that he had going on.

After that little excitement, we headed off to see the Giants. The Redwoods. One of the "must see, must do" things on this trip. Avenue of the Giants…never thought I would ever see them in person.

What was I thinking at this moment? I had thoughts of Orangevale, the iconic picture he took up here. I never met OVale...I wish beyond wish that I had…and that he was still with us in person. Andrew's ride reports were so thoughtful, so good, so perfect. I loved them. I wanted to meet the guy behind those reports…the guy that introduced me to California through his pictures and words. It didn't happen, and I am forever poorer for it.

Well, lost Karl in my rearview mirror…so I stopped. I finally turned around and found him at a wide spot in the road. Rich and Russ were up ahead and figure they would take a break somewhere's and wait for us. We continued north, and then I saw it…. A BIG ONE. I pulled over at a pulloff and stopped the bike…Karl pulled up alongside me. I stopped to take a picture…

2011MAYKALITRIP266.jpg

Karl took one of me as well

2011MAYKALITRIP267.jpg

Trees and sky

2011MAYKALITRIP268.jpg

My FJR in NorCal…I don't know why, but I love this shot. It means something to me.

2011MAYKALITRIP271.jpg

Karl going…"whoa, they've got some big trees around here."

2011MAYKALITRIP272.jpg

dufus in yellow banana costume in front of a big tree they don't have around Wheaton

2011MAYKALITRIP275.jpg

Watering the big tree…it looks like it could use some watering…glad I could help.

2011MAYKALITRIP276.jpg

Well, after that little interlude, Rich, Elizabeth, and Russ come back for us. They are laughing at me, saying, "you guys are so easy, you stop at the first big tree you see!" :D There are plenty more where that one came from. We continued on the Avenue of the Giants up north, big tree after big tree, tunnel of trees, spectacular!

It was getting towards the early evening, so we moved on ahead and got to Fortuna at a decent pace…I spot this guy there at the motel…

FJRay.

2011MAYKALITRIP277.jpg

Now, like MadMike and others…I feel like I kind of know these guys from the stuff you hear on the Forum. I actually met Ray up at CFR in Nakusp in 09…but like all gatherings, you only get so much time with each person there. I know what Ray has done for others…Ray is a good man.

After getting settled at the Super8 in Fortuna, Karl and I ambled across the parking lot to see the others at the Eel River Brewery for dinner. Sorry about the bad indoor photos…I somehow changed the settings. Evidently a "point and shoot" is more than I can handle :D

Tom/2wheeldealer, Elizabeth, Rich/exskibum, FJRay, RussPerry, Dave/Highlander…who ditched his FJR yesterday and hauled @ss up here on his Strom.

2011MAYKALITRIP274.jpg

Me taking more photos of my new buddies, FJRay and RussPerry

2011MAYKALITRIP280.jpg

Dave and Karl

2011MAYKALITRIP281.jpg

Tom/2wheeldealer and FarWestFastEddie (Eddie is a riot by the way…I love his story telling)

2011MAYKALITRIP282.jpg

Russ, taking a photo of me, with Elizabeth, Rich as well

2011MAYKALITRIP279.jpg

Elizabeth offered to take pictures of us as well…I think she had a bit much already :D

2011MAYKALITRIP287.jpg

I am just teasing of course…I sat next to Elizabeth at the table. She is a real classy lady that seemed to really enjoy this mcy trip. Karl and I couldn't believe she hadn't been on the back of Rich's bike for years…she was really rocking with Rich on Skaggs. She was rock steady as a passenger…I was impressed with her as a person and a pillion rocking those roads the way Rich does. Kudos to you Elizabeth.

Well, it was time to head back to the motel and some rest after another fantastic day of riding. Thanks Rich for rocking today…he is the smoothest rider…2-up…he is amazing. I had a blast today!

Next up…Monday, 23May, Day 10. The "killer NorCal loop"…wait, was that just sasquatch I just saw?

However, I know that as time moves on this report gets more and more irrelevant...
Irrelevant? Hardly. Timeless is more like it... ;)

Is Wheatie's Ride Report irrelevant? Are ULYSSES by James Joyce, THE GREAT GATSBY, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, LOLITA by Vladimir Nabokov, BRAVE NEW WORLD by Aldous Huxley, THE SOUND AND THE FURY by William Faulkner, CATCH-22 by Joseph Heller, DARKNESS AT NOON by Arthur Koestler, SONS AND LOVERS by D.H. Lawrence and THE GRAPES OF WRATH by John Steinbeck irrelevant? Au contraire, mon ami: The Wheat's Tome is Timeless, One For the Ages!

Part4 – Norcal Roads – You gotta be freaking kidding me, (Days 9, 10 & 11), 22, 23 and 24 May

Tuesday, 23 May (Day 10)

MONMAY23.jpg

Warning…not as many pictures on this day as it was full of time in the saddle…enjoying the roads, enjoying the views. Maybe I will be able to salvage some GoPro from this day and post it up in the future…

I woke up plenty early this morning, looking forward to the new day's adventures. Karl told me he was going to take a rest day today, as he's ridden the day's roads before at WFO. He loved them , but felt that since he had already ridden them, was a bit tired, and that today was one of the few loop rides on the trip where we end back up at the same motel at night, that he would take the opportunity to take a rest day. We still had more than 3000 miles to go on this trip…so I think he made a good decision. Karl will have to fill you in on what he did on this day. My day was full…ended up being even longer, time-wise, than the 450 mile route projected to be…

I had stayed up the previous night after Karl had gone to sleep, writing shorthand notes about each day…I had missed a good number of days since the last update, so I was up for awhile. I was really psyched about the day's riding ahead…as I looked on the trip itinerary, knowing nothing about kali itself…THIS is actually the day of riding I looked forward the most on the trip. What a loop it was going to be!

I found however that I had squandered time in the motel breakfast area, as people were staring at the TV – which was reporting a devastation tornado in Joplin, Mo. God be with that city as it tries to recover. I grabbed a bunch of fruit and an egg, but was kind of pressed for time, so I did not eat as heartily as I probably should have. Just before KSU, I grabbed some ice and filled my Camelbak, then packed the rest of whatever on the bike…. Dave/Highlander was out and about as well…I spoke to griff via phone…rubbing it in as to the great time we were having out here in Kali…then the clock was beckoning. KSU was nigh, time to go griff…BUH-BYE! :D

I walked over to the bike as the others kind of looked at me…oops, KSU and I'm still getting the bike ready. Ray gives me a jokingly mean look and says, "Kickstands Up, means Kickstands Up!" :D I told him I could have a tipover right there to comply with KSU…he seemed to be satisfied if I did that for him…but I didn't. ;)

So off we headed, north towards Eureka on 101 until our appointed meetup with FarWestFastEddie at Kmart parking lot I believe. I think Eddie was nervous that the jackwaggens were gonna blow him off again. We didn't...this time.

So we headed east on 299…loving every mile. Rich/exskibum and Elizabeth leading with Dave/Highlander, RussPerry, Tom/2Wheeldealer, myself, FarWestFastEddie, and FJRay in various orders rotating around during the day.

We stopped in Willow Creek for a pit stop, I bought gas as it was a hike from the motel to Yreka for our lunch stop. I also bought some bottled water, as I had forgotten to put on my Camelbak for some reason as I rushed to get ready in time for KSU. We chatted for a bit then headed north from Willow Creek on 96. Boy this was gonna be GREAT!

I just enjoyed the scenery and the curves as we wound through some of the most beautiful forests, mountains and rivers. Whitewater on the Klamath as we wound forever in this Alpine land…I felt like I was in the Alps…never been there…but that didn't matter. I felt like I was in a foreign country, these were big mountains!

Occasionally we stopped for a one lane road with a flagger and "Follow Me" truck. However, there was no road construction going on, this was tree trimming and clearing work that required the use of the roadway by the crew. This was a first for me.

My new buddy Tom/2wheeldealer at one of those flagman stops…

2011MAYKALITRIP190.jpg

Highlander, Rich and Elizabeth, RussPerry flashing the peace sign (that dude is all about world peace), FJRay

2011MAYKALITRIP194.jpg

Eddie(FarWestFastEddie) – what a character

2011MAYKALITRIP203.jpg

Eddie's nice 07

2011MAYKALITRIP198.jpg

When they announced the Black Cherry color for the 07, and showed the color online…I wasn't too impressed…but up close and personal, I really liked how it looked. Who knows, when my '04 gets "used up", maybe I'll get an 07 like Eddie's…or maybe an 06 like Rich's…both those colors look great in my book.

We stopped at a bend in the Klamath River for a break. 96 goes follows along the river but goes up and down the mountains as it does so…sometimes its way up high…other times, you were down by the river…like at this break.

2011MAYKALITRIP206.jpg

Looking back on southbound 96

2011MAYKALITRIP219.jpg

Elizabeth took a photo of me by the river

2011MAYKALITRIP218.jpg

My Kali and Oregon FJR riding buddies…Russ, Rich, Dave, Eddie, Tom and Ray (Lizzy out of the shot)

2011MAYKALITRIP262.jpg

Me with my new buds…

2011MAYKALITRIP273.jpg

Further on down the road I took a photo of this sign by the side of the road…

2011MAYKALITRIP284.jpg

I presume it has something to do with this…https://www.jeffersonstate.com/

…Dagnabbit, according to their website, they want to form their own state and take all the good mcy roads with them! :D

Speaking of other crazy things, I keep seeing signs regarding sasquatch in this area. I thought I saw one…but I didn't get my camera out fast enough…so who knows, maybe I didn't really see the sasquatch after all.

Well, it was getting to be late morning and we were about 35mins or so from Yreka which was our planned lunch/gas stop. We had been getting stopped by flagmen periodically during the morning and a car seemed to be ahead of us, but not moving very briskly. I was starting to get a little drowsy in the sun, poking along for the bit we were behind the car. I'm daydreaming…then I would catch myself daydreaming…telling myself to STOP THAT.

I started standing on the pegs and stretching as best as I could…we were in a straighter portion with only slighter curves (crazy dangerous curves in Illinois!!! :D ) and I found my eyes wanting to close and having trouble keeping them open. I was having a hard time focusing on Ray who was just ahead of me…I opened my visor for the rush of wind, hoping that would wake me up. I didn't have my Camelbak to give me a jolt of ice water ,so I started yelling in my visor, singing, getting up on the pegs, singing…all the time knowing we were only about a half hour west of Yreka and a break.

I didn't want to stop everybody as we were so close, had a long day of riding ahead of us, and already had a number of breaks due to flagmen. It seemed like nothing I did was breaking the slumber …we rounded a mild curve and it seemed to take A LOT more concentration than it should have. That's when I knew I HAD to stop…probably should have before that. I was NOT going to wreck my bike or endanger others. I was deadly sleepy.

Stopping for a short break and making others wait for a bit was a lot less inconvenient than a crash…so the first wide spot I saw, I made a dash for it. Russ quizzed me with the "thumbs up" sign…and I "thumbs upped" him back as I was not in distress, just needed a quick stop.

I powered down, got off the bike, cleaned off my visor, drank some bottled water from the gas station, splashed some water on my face, ate some roasted/salted pecans from my tankbag…and by the time I geared back up I was refreshed enough to make it down the road.

I powered up and started down the road and got to the next flagman…where I was once again behind the same car that was holding the group up earlier. After we get through the one lane area, I pass the car and see that FarWestFastEddie has come back to wait for me on the shoulder. He sees me and jumps ahead of me and provides a nice escort in front of me. All of a sudden we are on some great road, great sweepers!!! Wow, that was real fun, thanks Eddie for leading the way! In my drowsy state I am convinced I would have crashed on those curves…I was that far gone. Valuable lesson for me next time…stop earlier and don't let it get so far gone. Prepare even earlier so you aren't rushed when packing. Eat a better breakfast. Always bring your Camelbak. Get proper sleep…etc. Sorry to the others that I held up…

I saw Mt. Shasta's snowy peak off in the distance beyond the local peaks…wow, what a view! We meet up with the others who have stopped just before the turn south into Yreka.

We stopped for gas first…Highlander just made it on fumes. We ate at the Black Bear Diner on the south side of Yreka…good food there. Recommend it. Refreshed and rejuvenated we mounted the bikes for the mountain roads on the way back…FJRay is looking at my rear tire and tells me it looks like my rear tire is low. I pull up ahead out of my spot and to the side of the diner to get out of people's way. Thanks FJRay for looking out for other rider's welfare...this could have been bad to discover on the top of the mountain - midcurve.

I pull out the gage…12 PSI…uh oh. Was 42 psi this am. Rotating the tire on the center stand…I didn't see anything…neither did the others who looked. Spit on the valve stem…sure enough, just a little bubble. So I borrow a key from Highlander (Note: bring key next time) and tighten up the valve. I get out the foot pump and start pumping….I get tired, others laugh. Guy's say, how 'bouts using a compressor pump. I am easily convince at this point and Highlander breaks out his compressor pump and finishes airing it up.

2011MAYKALITRIP289.jpg

The guys suggest getting a valve stem from the AutoParts place down the street, which I do. So now, I've had them wait for my sleepy head, my valve stem…making an already long day longer. Sorry guys…

So we are headed out of town aways and we are looking at the sky…lots of rain all in the direction we are riding…up in the mountains. Not wanting to be drenched and cold in the mountains before changing into gear, we change into gear at a gas station before heading up in elevation.

Now, fully geared and ready for the drenching that awaits in the mountains, we keep moving ahead at a good pace…confident that we are as ready as we will ever be…ready to take our punishment for having such great weather recently. Well, we got up and over and back down the mountain with showers everywhere except where we were, miraculously. We had some great curves to ride through though…fantastic riding! We get down by a boat ramp and parking lot and take a break. I quick check the tires…uh oh…16psi…down from 42 psi in Yreka. DEFINITELY got a puncture in the tire somewhere. So I turn the back tire once or twice, and still can't see anything. Neither can Ray. Eddie finds something…very hard to detect it. It was in one of the grooves/sipes…nothing stuck in it. He spits on the tire and sure enough…bubbles. Eddie found the leak! Yea! On the bottom of the tire.

So I am a tire plugging virgin, though I've looked many times at others doing it.. I get out the kit, ream out the hole looking to others to make sure I am doing it correctly. They nod their heads…

2011MAYKALITRIP290.jpg

I coat the hole with the epoxy glue and put the stringy thing on the tool and push the tool all the way in. Doh! Whadda jackwagon! So I've now got my own version of dynabeads in the tire…pretty smart, huh? :blink:

I then put a string on correctly, wait for awhile for the glue to cure, then borrow a knife from Highlander to cut the excess string. We fill the tire with air borrowed from Highlander's compressor…oops overfilled at 60 psi…back it on down to 44psi..call it good and get ready to move on down the road. The boys are antsy, cuz they know my foibles are cutting into their Eel River Brewery drinking time…sorry again guys. :(

Oh thanks Eddie…

2011MAYKALITRIP291.jpg

We then head off to Weavervile, where we head west on 299..next stop…an overlook with a two thousand foot cliff!

So I'm confident in the sticky string concept as I've seen a few other repairs that have held up to twisty riding just fine. So we race ahead now as time is winding down…actually Rich keeps a pretty modest pace…I think he is concerned about the plug repair on this fairly curvy road. Dave/Highlander is now my personal mother hen as he follows behind watching over to make sure I get back okay...Thanks Dave. :clapping:

We get to the overlook in the late afternoon early evening…it is a beautiful spot with a river wayyyyy down below….

2011MAYKALITRIP293.jpg

Here, Eddie is leading the guys down to the edge.

2011MAYKALITRIP292.jpg

Here, Highlander is getting a closer look

2011MAYKALITRIP294.jpg

Rich and Russ get close and personal with the cliff as well

2011MAYKALITRIP295.jpg

Wow…that is some cliff!!! (Notice I am NOT in any of the photos near the cliff...that's right. DID NOT HAPPEN.)

2011MAYKALITRIP296.jpg

What a beautiful area…even with the overcast sky

2011MAYKALITRIP297.jpg

Ray talking to Eddie as Dave has a seat and farts…

2011MAYKALITRIP298.jpg

The river, one more time…

2011MAYKALITRIP299.jpg

Then a strange thing happened…with the overcast sky overhead, a sliver of sunlight hit the faces of the mountain walls across the way. It was an unusual and beautiful light…almost like a Thomas Kinkaid painting in 3D right before me.

2011MAYKALITRIP302.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP305.jpg

Time to gear up and head back to the barn...

2011MAYKALITRIP306.jpg

Well, it was way beyond late, so we geared up and headed out. A few miles ahead, we hit a right hander and I felt it, right away. The plug got thrown and I lost all air right away in the curve, I negotiated the curve as best as I could and got over to the shoulder right away and started for the kit again. Dave said he could tell right away when I lost the plug as the rear wheel was getting squirelly on me. Rich and the others turned around and looked on as Highlander's pump worked for the 3rd time this day.

The reamer I think was too big for a single plug, so I used a double plug. I was rightly hard to get in. I did get it in and felt like this was going to hold just fine. I did back off the riding a little bit though…cuz I'm a pussy I guess. Dave motherhenned me all the way back to the motel. I got off the gear and walked over to the brewery for food and drinks. They close at 10pm on Monday and it was 9:15pm…that's how late we were…sorry again guys. I fully intended to make up for it and buy my riding crew a beer for their troubles, but the server didn't help me out with that one considering the size of our party. I decided that since I had such a huge lunch at the Black Bear…that I would just have a beer and call it a night. Wow…that was some beer. I forget what it was called but it was a great dark local brew with a higher alcohol content. It kicked my tired @ss. I was uncoordinated and slurry after one beer…I am such a cheap date. Thanks guys for all the great riding this day…it was a memorable…even with the tire delays. I am no longer a plugger virgin…maybe some day I will be a master at it like escapeFJRtist. That's all for that day…time for bed…because…

Coming up next…Tuesday, 24 May, CA 36…140 miles of mcy bliss...the road that has everything.

Mark,

Might I add some comments on your excellent ride report? Thanks, here goes,

Your observation about riding in the Alps is correct, we circumnavigated the well known (for California-Oregon) Trintiy Alps. The ride for me was 481 miles door to door. My ass was throughly kicked, getting home around 11pm and working the next day, I was still exhusted, with a shit eating grin!

The previous day's Flyby was only a memory when at 08:45 the gang of 5 riders came into the Kmart parking lot, I was greeted with high 1 finger salutes by all 5 riders!! I felt very honored to receive this vaunted salute from people of such good standings! I am humbled.

You did California in 5-6 days, and barely touched the available rides,. You are going to have to drag Karl back and visit us again!

FWFE