Wheaton and airboss do Kalifornia (did we really do this?)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really enjoying the installments, Mark. But you lost air for the 3d time and replugged with the double strings not too far west of Weaverville on 299, before the acrophobic stop above the river that Fast Eddie took us to. BTW, waiting for you to repair your tire is NOT considered a problem you need to apologize for. Shit happens, and it's best to have company, useless supervision and friendly hazing while you take care of it. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to take some down time for this one.

The previous day I found myself zoning out and my processor just wasn't handling the incoming info fast enough. So I hung out at the hotel, did some laundry, some repacking, some minor maintenance on the bike, took a nap, and then, and then, I washed my bike! I did call BWA (bike washers anonymous) and get counseling later.

Really enjoying the installments, Mark. But you lost air for the 3d time and replugged with the double strings not too far west of Weaverville on 299, before the acrophobic stop above the river that Fast Eddie took us to. BTW, waiting for you to repair your tire is NOT considered a problem you need to apologize for. Shit happens, and it's best to have company, useless supervision and friendly hazing while you take care of it. :lol:
Rich, thanks for correcting me...I couldn't quite remember the sequence there...so thanks for helping me out and setting it straight.

I just enjoyed following you and Elizabeth around. You guys are great to follow...I'd follow behind you guys again in a heartbeat.

Make sure she eventually sees this RR...I also want you guys to get those photos off your camera...even if you have to send the card to somebody else on the forum to recover them...she was taking alot of photos along 1...I would love to see them.

What an adventure Mark. I hope to be able to do one of these rides someday. Time, Money, TIME, MONEY. :(

I felt very honored to receive this vaunted salute from people of such good standings!
We were very happy to give it to you Eddie. Hope to be able to flip you off in person again out that away. :****:

Doesn't get much better viewing than this Mark
Thanks Roger...or is this Debbie on the sly? Great to see both you two out your guys way...

Excellent. Really excellent.
If I could borrow your camera and skills...I might really have something.

I can't wait for the OM roast of this trip...with all your photoshop skills. Well, maybe not all...

Looks like a great trip in the north on some roads I have not seen yet.
You would definitely love it up there Tom...definitely got to do this area again.

Thanks again, Mark!
+1, Gunny yourself there Don. I didn't get to talk to you much on this trip, but we had fun didn't we? From Paso Robles all the way up to Bodega Bay. Thanks for meeting and travelling with us...

I did call BWA (bike washers anonymous) and get counseling later.
I think your joshing everybody there Karl. I bet that Ducati is squeeky clean.

What an adventure Mark. I hope to be able to do one of these rides someday.
It sure was. It sure was. I hope you get to as well...because if you have half as much fun as I did...it will be the ride of your life. There was no cap to the fun factor on this trip.

Great report Mark. Looking forward to "the rest of the story". This has been a thrill ride for many of us.
Thanks Tom (geez there are a lot of Toms and Mikes on this board). I'm looking forward to it as well...wish it would write itself.

I don't know how my ramblings are entertaining to others...but I do know I love reading ride reports...so this is one way I can relive the trip and maybe give back in a small way what others have done for me. 'Cuz we all know I'm not too helpful on the mechanical/technical side of this board. :eek:

I'll try to move it along...next time I won't take a long two week trip... ;)

Nah....I'll take an even longer one. :clapping: :yahoo:

As you've said a few times, you meet people for the first time with whom you've shared a lifetime of stories. Being able to go wherever and have friends show you some of their favorite roads makes this forum a great place.

I'm really glad you didn't take pictures of Nebrasuck. If anyone really wants to know what it's like, poop on a sidewalk... it's flat and shitty.

Thanks for posting this. It's an awesome ride report. Makes me really mad that I couldn't tag along. Really mad.

Mark,

I had time today, finally, to sit back, enjoy a cocktail, and *slowly*, *carefully* read your RR.

... and I have some comments

:****: :lol:

and we were in our brand new (to us) 1969 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon

Doode, if anyone reminds of 'That 70's show', it's YOU! -- and in a good way!

I was fine until western Illinois when I crossed the river that Ronald Reagan was a life guard in.

Ok, I give, what river? We don't have 'rivers' where I live... :huh:

Plus, this is the first day of an unknown odyssey...what's more exciting than that?

...EXACTLY - good on yah for the GREAT 'tude..

My gps said that I got about 990 some odd miles in that day.

...funny, ain't seen no CBA fees paid yet... :angry2:

Karl timed it just right as the temps were 34 degrees at the pass he says.

...and how did Karl know? Cause he rides a superior Gen2!

It saddened me to realize that I really sucked at doing that...even in an easy interstate section...it was also taking too much of my concentration. That experiment was it for me...no more camera shots on the move for me. Ever.

...come on Wheatie, you're an ME! You can multitask.. oh, wait, ME, sorry.. :yahoo:

EVERYBODY who rides a bike must do US 12 to southern Utah.

AMEN! One of the great roads..

I'm definitely coming back here on a tour of the southwest sometime so I can spend an extended time here exploring the park with Louanne.

..offer stands, mi amigo. Fly out, let's ride. You and L can ride the FJR, we'll take Miss Harley or Wabs..

Karl always seems to have a smile on his face, never seems ruffled or grumpy, always takes life as it comes.

I don't recall ever meeting Karl. But, after reading your RR, he reminds me of my Uncle Dutch. Always had fun, even when it rained, was wet and cold. On my first big tour, 17 YO, I was miserable, pulled up alongside Uncle D, he was grinning ear to ear and smoking a pipe..

I'm definitely coming back here on a tour of the southwest sometime so I can spend an extended time here exploring the park with Louanne.

...say when!

Took some pictures of the palm trees cuz Louanne loves palm trees,

...and the Hondarosa has palm trees!

We had a breakfast buffet at bar in Panamint Springs

I LOVE that place - early morning sunlight and breakfast? Puuurfect.

I had hoped to ride 33 down to Ojai…but with us being late and it storming on the mountain and the gps saying 166 to 101 being the faster way to Goleta…we took 166. Pretty darn good sweeper road. Sorry to miss 33…have to do that some other time…if I ever pass this way again.

Ok, 3x you've mentioned coming back... make the plans..

We missed out on Foxen Canyon…but it looks like a return trip to get that road plus 33 is in order.

Ok, 4x you've mentioned coming back... make the plans..

He took us as far south as we could go on it…there were some really beautiful white barked trees along that road overhanging the road – fantastic! As we were at the farthest point south, he pointed out that dcarver was probably not too far away. So we faced south and saluted carverboy...

..carverboy would have been getting his needed beauty sleep... ;)

He led us south and east of Paso Robles to some guy’s driveway…

That would be my daily commute!

After we got through that, we got to a road I’ve been wanting to ride and see for my own since dcarver keeps posting photos from his danged candyass site. This was on a definite must ride list…not for the curves, cuz I didn’t know it had any, just for the feel of the place. Rt 58.

So happy you had a chance to ride 58 and connect with the local area, Mark. It's a special place enjoyed by few.

Peace, loneliness, serenity, isolation, beauty…

You *get* it, mi amigo. I'll get you a job out here ASAP..

2011MAYKALITRIP023.jpg

right next to the Best Western where Queen Tyler and His Royal Fairlanerness were overnighting

Too freaking funny - the Hondapatumus ridden by Fairlanerness

2011MAYKALITRIP124.jpg

Now, we head out of town on 46...and sure enough Richard and his best buddy in the world Brian arrive in the train.

BoooWaaaah! Hadn't heard of this tidbit from Fairlanerness yet!

There’s something about these rolling Kali hills this time of year that beckons to me.

Well, here we are at the north end of Peach Tree Rd and are taking a break before we head east towards Coalinga.

Caption Please...PLEASE.

Well, I think I LOVE you, so what is there to be so ashamed of?

2011MAYKALITRIP150.jpg

View Postdcarver, on 05 June 2011 - 06:14 PM, said:

...WheatieBoy, it had better be good! ;)

You of all people have no cause to demand anything Mister. I travel 2400 miles out there...and what do you do...hide for a month at "work".

I am still waiting to ride out to the Hondarosa and have you show me your motocross track. Does the FJR do motocross?? I guess that is to be determined for next time...beer's on you, buddy. :clapping:

Yeah, it was a regular party, :lol:

I get into a corner and am seeing that my bike is not set up to keep the pace I am going, I did not adjust the suspension…I was still in sightseeing mode…soft rear shock, and stiff front forks which I did not get dialed in before the trip (or during the trip..my bad)…in any event the front tire feels light and not feeling planted…so I back it off a tad. I wave Russ around so he can have some fun…he is a good rider and has fun chasing amazing supersmooth Rich/Elizabeth. I am such an average rider, being left in the dust by a 2-upper! :D

Many a good solo rider has been left in the dust by these two - and only the foolish try to keep up.. Kudos to you.

What was I thinking at this moment? I had thoughts of Orangevale, the iconic picture he took up here. I never met OVale...I wish beyond wish that I had…and that he was still with us in person. Andrew's ride reports were so thoughtful, so good, so perfect. I loved them. I wanted to meet the guy behind those reports…the guy that introduced me to California through his pictures and words. It didn't happen, and I am forever poorer for it.

Yes, you and Andrew would have it off BIG time. I miss the MF too, and hope he and Tim are having a GREAT time. Crap, now I'm crying.

My FJR in NorCal…I don't know why, but I love this shot. It means something to me.

I wonder why? The angle, the moment? I understand. Do you have plans to frame it?

2011MAYKALITRIP271.jpg

sorrowful eyes - you have them. I wonder why.

I didn't want to stop everybody as we were so close, had a long day of riding ahead of us, and already had a number of breaks due to flagmen. It seemed like nothing I did was breaking the slumber …we rounded a mild curve and it seemed to take A LOT more concentration than it should have. That's when I knew I HAD to stop…probably should have before that. I was NOT going to wreck my bike or endanger others. I was deadly sleepy.

Stopping for a short break and making others wait for a bit was a lot less inconvenient than a crash…so the first wide spot I saw, I made a dash for it. Russ quizzed me with the "thumbs up" sign…and I "thumbs upped" him back as I was not in distress, just needed a quick stop.

**** - that is scary shit. You made the RIGHT decision to stop and re-group. It's kind of funny how, and when, Mr. Sleepy gets into the cockpit. A warm day, the body relaxes, the mind follows, and yaaaawnnn....

Dave/Highlander is now my personal mother hen as he follows behind watching over to make sure I get back okay...Thanks Dave. :clapping:

Dave is one of the top 5 guys on this board - he will NOT abandon you. I totally respect him for that.

I want to thank you, WheatieBoy, for taking the time to collect thoughts, pix, effort and time to post up your RR.

It's been really fun to *carefully* read and reflect upon your words and pictures..

..so get the next installment done, eh?

Hugs n' Kisses

:****:

Thanks carverboy...I would have been writing tonight, but I was riding around to a pizza place and eating pizza with fellow forum members extrememarine, griff, 0Face, and WheatonJr.

Part4 – Norcal Roads – You gotta be freaking kidding me, (Days 9, 10 & 11), 22, 23 and 24 May

24 May (Day 11) 385 miles
TUESMAY24FORTUNATOAUBURN.jpg

Before I get into this day's travels, I just wanted to reflect a little bit on yesterday's riding companions…All of them were great to ride with, but I want to talk about one in particular. Dave. Highlander. The name Highlander is one that has been familiar to me seemingly since I logged onto the internet and started searching for all things FJR. I'd read about him in the ride reports or gatherings or goings on…I always wanted to meet him and share a ride. I finally got my chance. Yesterday was great fun in "the Alps"…everybody was great, but it was fun watching the guys in front "move out" when the curves starting hitting us left and right. Highlander is obviously a very skilled rider and enjoyed the curves as much as anybody…but when I had my tire plugged…it was Highlander that was right behind me. He could have been enjoying the curves…as there were plenty still to be had, but he stuck with me towards the rear. Thanks Dave…it was great to meet you, and even better to ride with you.

Moving on…this day was going to be the third day of the NorCal roads led by Rich/exskibum. This was going to be the day we head east away from the coast and end up north and east of Sacramento and nestle in Grass Valley. I am a little sad to be leaving the Pacific coast. Having enjoyed it for a few days now, experiencing great times with friends and seeing wondrous sights with my own eyes, knowing that with every mile I travel today will be farther away from that coast, and closer towards home and the end of this trip.

However, the tinge of sadness is mixed with the excitement of knowing the itinerary today…CA 36!...and later in the day, CA 49! I'd seen the picture with Tim/TWN at THAT sign…could it really be true? 140 miles of curvy roads? Being from Illinois, that just didn't seem possible. Well, I looked at Google and MS S&T preparing for this trip…and YES…that's what it shows! And that riding occurs today!

Woke up that morning and got all my gear packed up again (man, is it really possible to get all this stuff on a bike?), got a good breakfast this time, got my ice water, got good rest…so I'm good. I got lined up to leave the motel with today's group: Rich/Elizabeth, Dave/Highlander, RussPerry, FJRay, Karl/Airboss, myself, and tow additions to the group today…Doug/Bugnatr and his friend Tom on his BMW. So this party of eight was ready to move on down the road. We head south on 101 until the turn for 36…here we go…

The road wend its way through goaty sections, through a tunnel of Redwoods, then climbed…all the while turning this way and that. You are on this road and keeping sharp - looking through the curve, taking all the inputs and making judgements and corrections on the bars, on the throttle, on the brakes, on your position on the bike. When it is all going right, it is a feeling like no other. The scenery, the speed, the leaning, the ripping through the gears, and the others doing this same dance in front and behind you as the curving, snaking group of FJRs head east through the mountains, higher and higher as we climb away from the coast. And it is not just a "getting one with the machine" thing, as we are friends…no longer strangers. We were strangers, who became acquaintances over the internet, who have eaten dinners together, had a beer together, and become friends with this common bond. So this is almost a social thing as well…as we do this ride eastward. Watching out for each other, pointing out obstacles or things that might harm the other rider. Good times…this is what it is called. Good times.

We stop for a break…time to get out the camera.
2011MAYKALITRIP310.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP311.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP307.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP308.jpg

Purply kin of flowers...Deb, what kind are these?

2011MAYKALITRIP314.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP315.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP316.jpg

Ray's not giving me the finger, yet.

2011MAYKALITRIP318.jpg

Bugnatr and Highlander with rolled eyes listening to exskibum, talking about the length of his manhood...or something.
2011MAYKALITRIP317.jpg

BMWTom and Airboss

2011MAYKALITRIP320.jpg

Bugnatr explaining the facts of life to exskibum, while Highlander politely waits

2011MAYKALITRIP319.jpg

RussPerry saying "hi". What happened to world peace Russ? Doncha care anymore?

2011MAYKALITRIP321.jpg

Doug/Bugnatr and BMWTom had come over yesterday from Grass Valley not on 36, but on some roads south of 36 that parallel it. They did all that so they could ride back with us…or cuz it was a fun thing to do. :D After this break, Bugnatr and his friend BMW Tom took off ahead, and RussPerry chased after them. I was happy in the group that I was in. We were crossing in a mighty Alpine area for a long while…left, right, left, right…the road goes on forever. :)

We do decide to take another break…the three ahead were still ahead somewhere. It was a beautiful spot for a break, we could see white snow capped mountains to the north, and you could see the various ridges and valleys between here and there.

2011MAYKALITRIP322.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP324.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP328.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP323.jpg

We heard a semi running through the gears, so we knew it was time to skedaddle..and fast. Doing 36 behind a semi is something I don't even want to contemplate. So we geared up, got down the road in time with the semi behind us. Up ahead a mile or two, BMWTom, Bugnatr, and RussPerry were lying in wait with their cameras. We've seen Russ's shots…but not Tom's. Rich explained about the approaching semi, and that we were going to keep going…although it looked like a very picturesque place for a stop. So we moved on…

At some point we finally crossed the ridge to the dry side of the mountains…and the scenery changed dramatically. Brown grasses, not as many trees, high mountain ranches with horses, quite different from the green alpine scenery just back aways behind us. This section of road was great fun as we rolled through the ranchlands with a few "dips and whoops" to give you "air" if you wanted it. –yeehaw!

We finally were approaching the outskirts of Red Bluff…and as others moved on ahead to look for the sign (You know which sign I'm talking about) that was taken down, but rumored to have been put back up at a slightly different location, I stopped to take a photo of animals in a fenced in ranch beside the road.

2011MAYKALITRIP333.jpg

I moved on ahead and found the others…they had FOUND the sign…just a bit east of the old one. So we parked there and took a break.

2011MAYKALITRIP334.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP335.jpg

Rich and Elizabeth...what a great riding couple

2011MAYKALITRIP337.jpg

Since Gas stations were just a few blocks away, some had gone on ahead to fill up…FJRay being one of them. He was waiting for us there when someone got word to him that Wheaton wanted a picture of the group at the sign…with HIM in it as well. Now, he had filled up his tank AND his aux tank so he was loaded up good and top heavy. I am not sure the exact sequence but I think he may have stalled it…he can tell you if he cares to…but did a tip over. I think one of his sidebags got de-virginized. He wasn't REAL HAPPY when he came back for picture :D It would really be rude if I didn't post that picture, wouldn't it???? :D Well, I don't want my head to get beat in by FJRay, so here it is.

Highlander, RussPerry, exskibum and Elizabeth, airboss, FJRay, Bugnatr, with BMWTom behind him...

2011MAYKALITRIP340.jpg

Notice the scowl on FJRay's face. I think he means that finger for me… :D

2011MAYKALITRIP342.jpg

After the group shots, the rest of us got gas and then Rich and Doug figured out a good place for us to eat in Red Bluff near I-5. I forget the name of it (I think maybe it was Luigi's), but it was great! After lunch, FJRay and Highlander had to take off…Ray north and Dave south. Ray wanted me to get a Sharpie and autograph his scratched up sidebag, saying "Wheaton was here!"…but I just couldn't locate one. Bye Ray…thanks for catching that my tire was low in Yreka! Bye Dave…thanks for scrambling to get your Strom up here to ride with us!

So now we are heading east across the valley, east on 36, heading towards 89 south. We have Rich/Elizabeth, Doug/Bugnatr and his buddy BMWTom, RussPerry, Karl and I in this last group. Soon enough we have climbed a little bit in elevation, bringing the temps down. We stop for a break by a nice cool lake. We then move ahead and turn south on 89…not too long before we get to 49, we stop at an overlook, looking east across a valley way down below.

2011MAYKALITRIP343.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP344.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP345.jpg

Rich and Liz...sorry we didn't have a chance to say goodbye here. Russ in the background...now THAT man knows how to use a camera.

2011MAYKALITRIP346.jpg

So now, we are heading west on 49…Doug, Tom, Russ and Karl move on ahead, but Rich and Elizabeth seem to be taking it pretty slow…in fact REAL slow. I stop and wait for them as I don't see them in my mirrors anymore…I wait…there, there they are. What's up with that I wonder? So I move on ahead and soon I don't see them…I wait again…there, I finally see them in the mirror. So I race on ahead and I note what my odo says when I lose sight of them. I continue on and meet Doug and the others who are on the side of the road waiting for me. I told them of Rich's pace and he says that Rich probably slowed WAY down when somebody showed him how little tread he had left on his tires. So Doug thinks he's just taking it easy to get home okay. In fact at the next town where we stop for a water break, we finally see them, they are slowly moving on by. They wave and Rich indicates that he's not stopping for a break…they are just in "get home" mode. Bye Rich and Elizabeth…it was good riding with you!

We continue west on 49, which was a little dusty, and with the sun more in our eyes, it was hard to see whether there was slippery stuff in the road in the curves, so I backed it off some. At some point in time, Tom and Russ split off from us and go their separate ways. Russ, it was great to meet you , chat a little bit on the SENA, and watch you ride. Tom, it was great to meet you and ride with you as well…post the video of us on 36 when you get a chance!

So now it is the three of us heading to Bugnatr's place because Doug has convinced his wife somehow to let two total strangers sleep in their house. I don't know how you did it Doug, but THANKS! We get to Doug's place and we have fine accommodations…the prime garage spots for our bikes…Doug even went and got oil and did an oil change on my bike for me that night…what a dude!

As nice a guy as Doug is, his wife Gayle is definitely the better half…man, did he marry up! She had fixed some marvelous chicken lasagna with white sauce for us. Mmmmm, good! Well, Karl and I were pretty pooped from the last few days of riding in NorCal, so we just relaxed and talked with Doug for awhile…bed felt good that night for sure!

Next up… Part5 – Last days in Kali –(Days 12 and 13), 25, 26 May

25 May (Day 12) Camels in the rain…and the Willo

Woot Woot Wheatie! Great RR - keep 'em coming..

..and my comments (of course, I'm kind of shy and all...)

…but when I had my tire plugged…it was Highlander that was right behind me. He could have been enjoying the curves…as there were plenty still to be had, but he stuck with me towards the rear. Thanks Dave…it was great to meet you, and even better to ride with you.

...Amen brother. Even on an UGLY Vstrom, that boy could have left your FJR ass behind...

We were strangers, who became acquaintances over the internet, who have eaten dinners together, had a beer together, and become friends with this common bond.

...very well said!

Alpine area for a long while…left, right, left, right…the road goes on forever. :)

...and the party never ends... Joe Ely, look it up!

We finally were approaching the outskirts of Red Bluff…and as others moved on ahead to look for the sign (You know which sign I'm talking about) that was taken down, but rumored to have been put back up at a slightly different location,

...this one?

apologies for full res pix, NOT!

TimSign.jpg

Thanks for thinking of our buddy.. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those flowers are Lupine, mighty fine ones too! Great pics from the sign and the Sierra Valley overlook. The big lake we stopped by was Lake Almanor.

It was such a fun day with with all the crew and Rich made it home safe on that PR slick :eek:

No doubt I married up, she's a real keeper. We had a ball having you guys stay with us, too bad it wasn't warmer but I did get in the pool for the first time tonight. Finally summer is here. :yahoo: