wheatonFJR goes down!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least you've kept your sense of humor about the entire ordeal.

Joints recover slowly for those of us who've reached a certain stage of maturity. Just take it slow until the ligaments tighten. Believe it or not, pain is your friend. Pain will tellyou when you've over-used that injured joint.

Heal quickly and get the bike repaired.

Earlier that same morning, just before we all took off, Wheaton mentioned to everyone about the need to watch your spacing and everyone ride there own ride. Petey, riding behind Wheaton, told us how difficult it was to look away from Wheaton going down, and focus on the road ahead.

Jim and I were only a few miles ahead and had stopped at the next hwy intersection, after a few minutes of waiting we figured something was up, so we headed back.

I say this to emphasize the fact that we did all the things a group of riders should do when out riding. Yet a rider went down, the group cannot prevent this.

Wheatons advise of ride your own ride or ride within your abilities, no matter who your riding with, still stands as the best advise to prevent accidents!

Allright Wheaty lets dont do this again!

Earlier that same morning, just before we all took off, Wheaton mentioned to everyone about the need to watch your spacing and everyone ride there own ride. Petey, riding behind Wheaton, told us how difficult it was to look away from Wheaton going down, and focus on the road ahead.
That is a great point you brought up fjrrider. I think what would make it more easier to avoid target fixation in this case is having an adequate distance between your self and a rider in front of you. What do others think?

petey was spaced well behind me...did not feel him encroaching on my space at all. I have been on other rides where some people felt the need to be very closely spaced with the rider in front. Not a good idea. Good spacing was employed by all on this ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not one of you is even the slightest bit concerned with all the innocent plant life Wheatie so insensitively destroyed?

Shame on you! :angry2:

Now I'm going to have to ride all the way down there to re-seed the poor grass.

Not one of you is even the slightest bit concerned with all the innocent plant life Wheatie so insensitively destroyed?
Shame on you! :angry2:

Now I'm going to have to ride all the way down there to re-seed the poor grass.
My bad. If you do it next year I would like to give you a hand.

Glad to hear your doing fairly well wheatonFJR. And lived to tell us about it. Also looked like the Delrin sliders did a good job but looks like the top end at some point took a hit and that road looks a little scary especially with those sign posts.

Lots of good folks who support you here is evidenced by all the posts and replies. Prayers for a good recovery coming your way. Take care, PM. <>< ;)

Well, the insurance company totalled the bike. IL law prevents me from buying back the bike for salvage. The Ins Co is selling the bike through an Insurance auction house in AR. Dahawks says that the wheels seemed good. I know that there is a new Penske rear shock that had only 8k miles on it.

I just received info from the Ins Co regarding contact information for bike salvage...if anyone is interested in pursuing this...the bike might be on the auction block on 11/18...I don't know.

The bike will be sold through IAA (Insurance Auto Auctions)- Little Rock Yard Address: 4900 S Kerr Rd

Scott, AR 72142-9081

Telephone: (501) 961-2886

they will call it stock # 4797389. I

would suggest he call them just to see if he can even be a buyer or not

- some states limit sales to licensed salvage dealers only - I do not

know how AR works.

Sounds like you're looking to get another FJR. May I interest you in a Sportster I have for sale?!?! ;)

Sounds like you're looking to get another FJR. May I interest you in a Sportster I have for sale?!?! ;)
uuhhmmm. Not. Very. Helpful. Murph. :p

No, I have a bead on a bike (2004 FJR) that I might be able to show at the Nov. 15th meeting...but doubtful be riding unless the shoulder feels more stable. I can ride through wincing unless the joint dislocates...then that would be bad. :huh:

Too bad about the bike Mark. Glad you are on the mend and have a line on another FJR. Be good and take care of that shoulder...

--G

Those 11/10ths corners are a bear Wheatie, they look just like any other until the pavement gets big ! Glad your on the mend and still FJRing with us. Take care with the snow removal and that shoulder this winter, looking forward to riding with you again someday !

Too bad about the bike Mark. Glad you are on the mend and have a line on another FJR. Be good and take care of that shoulder...
--G
Thanks George...how's the rain gear...you ride during the winter okay? :unsure:

Those 11/10ths corners are a bear Wheatie, they look just like any other until the pavement gets big ! Glad your on the mend and still FJRing with us. Take care with the snow removal and that shoulder this winter, looking forward to riding with you again someday !
Thanks Chooser! Looks like the Smokies/Appalacia is part of what's in the works for next year...so maybe we can work something out. :clapping:

--G
Thanks George...how's the rain gear...you ride during the winter okay? :unsure:
Rain gear is good and along with a set of PR2's year around riding is a OK...although the last few days it's been raining cats and dogs out here. :(

What do you think about chooser being retired? Not very fair is it?

--G

Hey Wheatie glad to hear that you are mostly OK. Been slacking off lately so I'm not up on events. Take care and get better.