wheatonFJR goes down!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad your "OK"
Thanks for the well wishes...

Hey Wheatie...
When are you headed waaay West on that new skoot?
Still trying to figure that out...definitely on my dream list of things to do..have had some unexpected things come up lately and my 1st born's college expenses are racking up...he's doing his part by doing good classwork and getting scholarships and other things...but I just have to make sure of a few things before I commit to a time frame now. I certainly have stated that '09 was gonna be the year...jes have to make sure that I am not irresponsible with the family money...but heck what am I saying...that never stopped me before. :)

Now for my crash piccies...nothing much to add as I took them in my dazed condition while others were looking out for me and my bike's welfare...

Looking back on where loss of traction commenced...

015.jpg

They say my front tire lost traction first...bike sliding on front slider and right can...I have no visual memory but can clearly remember the sound of the can scraping.

closer view of pavement

017.jpg

020.jpg

This is where the front tire hit the soil before ending up in the ditch. The bike slid in front of the sign, I ended up sliding behind the sign..then going over the culvert/ditch before impacting the relatively "soft" far bank.

018.jpg

024.jpg

You can't really see it, but there are large pieces of stone at the low point of the ditch to minimize erosion...glad I did not land there but on the far bank.

023.jpg

025.jpg

Here.. the guys are trying to make my FJR rideable back to the motel...wasn't gonna happen

012.jpg

026.jpg

Note handlebar position vs front wheel position...

013.jpg

can you say "tweaked"?

021.jpg

022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now...the CODA to this story...yesterday, with the help of some great friends, I was able to purchase a low mileage 22k 2004 FJR from Sherman and have it transported back to Wheaton. My shoulder capacity is down right now and didn't want to find out what it's limit was during a ride home from Valpo, IN. Special thanks to griff for doing that for me...the guy jes doesn't know when to quit helpin! :lol:

Thanks to Sherman for sending me a note about his bike and being really helpful up to and during the sale...and after the sale.

Sherman and griff looking to load up my bike up the ramp to griff's truck..

083.jpg

084.jpg

Enjoying the thoughts of future rides on my new bike!

089.jpg

Also thanks to RiderCoachLar and cougar8000 for taking the time out of their Saturday to help ensure that the new wheatonFJR had a safe and soft landing while unloading from griff's truck.

090.jpg

All's well that ends well! :yahoo:

BTW, I have a new yellow helmet ala Old Michael, yellow should serve as a warning sign to others... :clapping: :clapping: :rolleyes:

Wheaton,

Love to see a Success story...especially with some help from some friends!

Nice looking FJR and wish you a healthy & quick recovery.

Now...the CODA to this story...yesterday, with the help of some great friends, I was able to purchase a low mileage 22k FJR from Sherman and have it transported back to Wheaton. My shoulder capacity is down right now and didn't want to find out what it's limit was during a ride home from Valpo, IN. Special thanks to griff for doing that for me...the guy jes doen't know when to quit helpin! :lol:
Ya just had to go buy another of the fastest model year's didn'tcha!

You got Sherman's bike? I remember it from the Starved Rock meet last Spring. That is one CLEAN FJR, gay, I tell you GAY. :D

Glad to see Sherman found a good home for it.

You got Sherman's bike? I remember it from the Starved Rock meet last Spring. That is one CLEAN FJR, gay, I tell you GAY. :D

:lol:

Well, he kept his up in real good condition, that's for sure. I hope to keep it up in good condition as well as I plan to put way over 100K on this bike. Not in one year mind you, but I hope to get there. :clapping:

:lol:

Well, he kept his up in real good condition, that's for sure. I hope to keep it up in good condition as well as I plan to put way over 100K on this bike. Not in one year mind you, but I hope to get there. :clapping:
I remember your original '04 being very well kept up. I'm glad you found a suitable replacement.

WOW Looks like you got a great replacement bike Wheatie. Heal up over winter and you'll be ready come spring.