When to Start Synthetic Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The consensus here is being very kind to the OP, and with good reason. He admittedly comes from the BMW, and we all know what that means - anal retentive maintenance schedules, followed by pre-mature driveline failures and VERY expensive "dealer only" repair bills.

But the FJR is a Yamaha. It's 14 years in with very little significant changes in the driveline, except for the 16/17 6-speed gear box. This platform is bulletproof. It was built right from the word go, and even though not necessary, was improved slightly along the way.

This is a bike that is made for the true sport touring rider. The one that will ride 500 miles for a piece of pie. The one that would much prefer to actually ride the bike, rather than stand around playing pocket pool talking about riding. The one that wakes up on a nice Saturday morning and says to him/herself "Gee, I think I'll do an Iron Butt Ride today... Honey, I'll be home after a while." FJR riders don't contemplate and re-think rides because "that might put too many miles on my bike" and "I wonder if the bike can make it that far and back". We gear up, throw a leg over, hit the button, pull the clutch, and go.

This is a true story. Through my own ridiculous and inattentive stupidity, I once rode (unknowingly at the time) about 60 miles in 95 degree weather at 75-ish mph with ZERO oil in my differential Rear Axle Gear Case Assembly!!!! I stopped at a fishing village and saw oil splatter on my rear wheel and realized that I hadn't tightened the drain plug properly. I walked into a bait shop, bought a pint of no-name outboard lower unit oil and a fishing cork. I transferred the fill plug to the drain plug and used the fishing cork as a fill plug.

Then I rode another 50 miles home.

This bike is absolutely bulletproof.

Please do whatever makes you feel better. But above all, and in the true spirit of sincere reason, ride A LOT more and stress A LOT less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right you are!! I suppose literally, in order for it to be a differential, there would have to be 2 (or at least 2) drive wheels.

The correct term is "Rear Axle Gear Case Assembly", as described on the official Yamaha OEM parts breakdown.

Previous post corrected, thanks.