Where to Locate a Spare Key??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just duct taped one to the inside of the front wheel when I mounted the new PR2 Michelin, 164 degrees forward of the valve stem (90 degree of course!) Filled the tire with nitrogen to reduce corrosion, electrolisis and carry a full tool kit with tire irons in a fanny pack. So....if the need arises, all I need to do is yank the front wheel,dismount the tire, retrieve the key, remount & balance the tire (yes...I have all the necessary equipment/tools/wheel weights & compressed nitrogen in my fanny pack-tool kit) I actually keep a spare key & duct tape in the fanny pack/tool kit to replace the one I've removed from the inside of the wheel, should I happen to misplace another one!

FNG

(Hey.....sorry, my seat is in transit to BMS for the group buy.....and I'm bored!)

:clapping:

Not entirely sarcastic, but I often leave the main key in the ignition. With as many farkles as I have on the bike doing long-distance riding....I think neer-do-gooders look at the bike a bit like something Mel Gibson would be driving to the Thunderdome and just don't bother. And my spare key is hanging on a retractor on my tank bag so when I refuel I don't even take my ignition key out.

When I need to leave the bike to go sleep in some place with four walls I take the tank bag with me...and the ignition key. If I lose both of those...I've got far bigger things to worry about than getting the bike started. ;)

I often leave the main key in the ignition.
Ditto, i rarely take it out. I'm less likey to lose it if it stays in the bike and I have the ugliest FJR so it'll be the last to be stolen.
I also have a key in the arm pocket of the stich (same pocket as gas cards) ..so that I don't have to take the key out of the ignition at gas stops. I have another key hidden on the bike somewhere but I can't remember ...but sure if forced to, I'd figure it out.

Long trips ....I do the same as dcarver ....swap spare key with someone. I also do this "swap" with copies of important documents, credit cards and even cash if riding south of the USA

BTW, am I the only one that comes home from a loong, multi day ride, cold and tired --to discover that you forgot the garage door opener and house key? ...Way too many times here. That is the key that I really ought to have on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
The extra set of keys is in the left front pocket of my riding pants.

On long trips, I have another set on a lanyard around my neck.

For a little added protection for keys how about this trick.

why not write down the key blank number and take a key and trace around it and have a couple of the traced patterns in your wallet. All a locksmith has to do is get the blank and you supply the key cut pattern and you now have a new key. just in case you lose both keys. Carry it in your wallet ,tank bag, or just about any where..

Never leave home with out it.. And a sure way to always to be able to have a key made with or with out the key :)

Now that I've finished dousing my brain with lye to get Busta's mental image scrubbed out... :blink:

I keep a spare in my pocket. For longer trips, I have another in my tank bag on a lanyard so it won't fall out while at gas stops and such.

I'd be more worried about it ticklin' my prostate and riding around with a shit eating grin on my face. Anybody that saw me would know right where I hid that spare. :blink: