Which Bike Would YOU Choose?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I just committed to Beemerdons' "Extreme Alpine Tour" next August. Yippee! Six days riding through the Alps and Dolomites on my choice of quite a few bikes--Germany, Austria, Italy, and maybe a corner of Switzerland, from a quick look at the map provided. Pretty exciting.

I'll need to choose a ride, and naturally the bigger bikes will add to the cost of the trip. There are half a dozen categories, some with only one entry, like the new BMW K1600 (not in the running, and same with most of the high-end rides. I've got to cut some costs. :rolleyes: )

So. Question to the forum: of the following, which one gets the nod? Reasons "why" would be appreciated. I'll confirm this soon, but I assume every bike on the list will come with hard bags, since there's no support van for this tour and I've got to haul whatever I want to bring. I'd say that's a necessity. Here are the choices:

Ist price category. BMW 650 GS, Honda CBF 600S Transalp, Kawasaki ER-6 Versys, Suzuki V-Strom 650.

2nd category, add about $150. BMW F 650 GS, Ducati Monster 696.

Cat 3, add another $150. BMW F 800 GS, F 800 R, or F 800 ST; Triumph Tiger 800/XC.

If I wanted to keep adding $150's, I could move up to 1000 and 1200 cc bikes. I don't. The super twisty roads and the fairly short riding days planned (about 150 miles per day) work together to make a lighter and maybe less luxurious bike sound more advantageous. So I need adequate storage (I travel light, most of my vacations are one carry-on bag deals), and weather protection, as much as possible. A decent fairing and windscreen sound good. And frankly, I'd just as soon pick from that first--and cheapest--group.

I'll be looking at lots of websites about these bikes too, but I know there are lots of opinions out there. Let's hear 'em. Thanks.

The Honda Transalp is a 4 cyl? I had to look it up so hopefully got the right bike.

I think I'd choose that one from the first group, the Duc from the 2nd, and the Triumph from the 3rd.

Have fun; I had talked to Don at the Taos gathering when I saw him reviewing a Europe map. I'd like to do this but wife & I are going over in late April/early May to France, Belgium, and England so I don't see how I could go again in August. Maybe next yr...

My picks

Cat 1 Transalp, (can't ride one here) or the wee strom

Cat 2 Ducati, It will make you look fast Mike ;)

Cat 3 Tiger, gives you one more cylinder

Pick one from the first group...it don't matter...and wring it's neck riding those roads.

Have a great time planning and riding this trip there Mikey!

Hola Sacramento Miguel, here is what the rest of your Alps Extreme Crew have picked out already for our trip:

Uri Schumm - Triumph Tiger 800/XC; this is the same motorcycle that Uri rented when he went on the Adriatic Roller Coaster in Slovakia this year with Edelweiss Bike Travel.

Bob Flanders - Suzuki V-Strom 650; this really surprised me because Bob's bikes here are a BMW K1300GT and a BMW R1200RT.

Don Stanley - BMW F650GS Twin; one of the same bikes I ride here.

Dave Cooley - BMW R1200GS; same bike Dave rides here.

Bruce Cain - has not decided yet; rides a BMW K1200LT here.

Gary Miller - has not decided yet; rides a BMW R1150RT and a BMW R1100RS here.

Last edited by a moderator:
SacMike...Assuming you're riding single, I'd pick something fun and light. From the videos posted and riding description you won't need a big road-burner.

Transalp or WeeStrom sounds like just the ticket [pun intended] to me!

Have fun and take lots of pic's...you lucky dog! ;)

--G

First, realize that time and distance are totally different. That 150 miles will be a full day, so do NOT cheap on the price snd feel cramped by the end of the first day!

The Strom andTransAlp are nearly toss up winners from the first group. I try to rent WeeStroms on my trips because they just work. For how much you arespending and will be on it, consider borrowing one for a test ride before going. I might also find a taller windshield to take, as the stocker can give me a headache with one of my helmets. The TA has better grunt for coming out of corners and has slightly bigger ergoes.

Cat 2: Skip the Ducati. Cool bike but one position. Your body will thank you. Take the gs IF it fits you.

If you can afford an 800, the grunt is more comfy than reving up the 650s. My own pref for Cat 3 would easily be the Tiger, as it is such a really well balanced machine. Of the Beemers, you'd really need to sit on each foryour own fit. Lots of folks like the 800gs and I just can't imagine paying to have that brick of a seat for a week.

As always with rentals, expect to rain ride and personally check the tire pressures before accepting the bike.

If you carry Don's bags, maybe...... ;)

If I was going by myself and knew there was no off road, AND I was trying to keep money in check, I'd ride the F800ST.

I had one for about a week a couple years ago. That bike was comfortable, fast, and handled really well. It really is a cool bike...Like a smaller version of the FJR.

I'd probably pick something that I might consider buying myself, so maybe the F800GS or the Tiger 800, and consider it a very extensive test ride :clapping:

If I was going by myself and knew there was no off road, AND I was trying to keep money in check, I'd ride the F800ST.

I had one for about a week a couple years ago. That bike was comfortable, fast, and handled really well. It really is a cool bike...Like a smaller version of the FJR.
Great Minds Think Alike, AJ! Edelweiss Bike Travel on their Booking Form asks you for your 2nd choice of bike if the 1st pick isn't available, the BMW F800ST is my second choice. Same incredible 800cc motor and 6 speed trans as in my F650GS Twin. Both are perfect motos for riding the Alps twisties. Triumph 800 would be OK.

Here is my riding Friend Jo with her F800ST. Bike has plenty of power for acceleration. I am not a fan of riding any moto with less than 80hp in the Alps or Dolomites, just not enough horsepower for climbing and passing on those tight and twisty roads. The BMW Rotax 800's have 85hp at 8K rpm and 63 lb./ft. of torque at 5.8K rpm.

PB050010.jpg

Last fall, I rented a 800st for a 2 week ride of Switzerland, Italy, France and Austria. Thought it was a great mountain bike, like a small version of the FJR, light weight, quick, and good mileage. The saddle bags were smaller, but expandable. I had enough storage using a dry bag and tank bag. Some riders have had trouble with BMW canbus accessory plugs kicking out at 5 amps, not powering heated gear, but it ran my jacket liner just fine(4 amps max). I did a demo ride at the BMW Nat. Rally at Redmond, OR, before making the selection. Several other riders thought it was a fun bike. Also rode a 800gs, but liked the st better. Previous trip, I rented a K1200GT, which had more weather protection, bells and whistles, but the ST was more fun.

Last fall, I rented a 800st for a 2 week ride of Switzerland, Italy, France and Austria. Thought it was a great mountain bike, like a small version of the FJR, light weight, quick, and good mileage. The saddle bags were smaller, but expandable. I had enough storage using a dry bag and tank bag. Some riders have had trouble with BMW canbus accessory plugs kicking out at 5 amps, not powering heated gear, but it ran my jacket liner just fine(4 amps max). I did a demo ride at the BMW Nat. Rally at Redmond, OR, before making the selection. Several other riders thought it was a fun bike. Also rode a 800gs, but liked the st better. Previous trip, I rented a K1200GT, which had more weather protection, bells and whistles, but the ST was more fun.
Thank You Very Much, JR'SFJR; Good Information! May give some consideration to switching my 1st pick to the ST, even though August is the driest month in the Alps.

Interesting. The very few miles I put on the 800ST I didn't like it. IIRC, I did not like the position it put me in. Too much forward lean.

Interesting. The very few miles I put on the 800ST I didn't like it. IIRC, I did not like the position it put me in. Too much forward lean.
If you weren't so freaking skinny a BMW F800ST would work just fine for you, HotRodZilla and I just put our big beer bellies on the tank and the ST fits up perfectly! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Mike,

I did the High Alpine Tour a few years ago and chose the R1200 GS. My wife was on the back and it was very comfortable and cornered very well. You will definitely love the trip no matter what bike you choose!

Latest posts