Which Bike Would YOU Choose?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Carrie and I go, we'll prolly opt for the 800GS hoping for more luggage room than on the ST. I'll prolly list our second choice as the Triumph.

Maybe I'll just say the Hell with it and go with a 1200...

If Carrie and I go, we'll prolly opt for the 800GS hoping for more luggage room than on the ST. I'll prolly list our second choice as the Triumph.

Maybe I'll just say the Hell with it and go with a 1200...
AJ, You absolutely cannot go wrong with a BMW R1200 for the Alps and Dolomites. For my October of 2004 High Alpine Tour with Edelweiss I was on the then all new R1200GS two up and it was great. For my May of 2007 AZ Beemers Alps and Italy Tour I rented a BMW R1150RT, exactly the same as my "Ingrid" at home. I am really amazed and surprised that they even offer the BMW K1600 series for the Alps Extreme, owning a K16GT that is really a HUGE machine for those roads; Hell's Bell's, an FJR is a BIG moto for those twisty snaky roads! BMW K75RT would be perfect!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some riders have had trouble with BMW canbus accessory plugs kicking out at 5 amps, not powering heated gear...
That's cuz that little powerlet plug on the right hand side is only meant for low power accesories (GPS, phone charger...). It can also be used for the BMW version ($$) of a battery tender. If you want high watt accesories on the 800ST, it would be best to install a fuseblock directly to the battery and skip the canbus completely. Unfortunately, that option won't be available for a rental.

Some riders have had trouble with BMW canbus accessory plugs kicking out at 5 amps, not powering heated gear...
That's cuz that little powerlet plug on the right hand side is only meant for low power accesories (GPS, phone charger...). It can also be used for the BMW version ($$) of a battery tender. If you want high watt accesories on the 800ST, it would be best to install a fuseblock directly to the battery and skip the canbus completely. Unfortunately, that option won't be available for a rental.
Wowser Neil, you do know your BMW's. I'll bring over a few liters of der Bleu und Weiss BMW Kool-Aid for you at your Tech Day! My last two Alps and Dolomites rides were in late May and early October respectively and I did not need my heated gear that I drug over from Estados Unidos. I would be really shocked if you needed heated gear for our Alps Extreme over the dates of August 8-15 of 2012; I would be totally blown away by that. I lived in Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany for two years and rode the Alps and Dololmites South of my US Army base almost every single Summer Weekend. Even though that was way before heated gear (Niehart and I would wear buffalo robes if it got really cold back then!), I can't remember August in the Alps being that cold! Es Richtig!

Even though that was way before heated gear (Niehart and I would wear buffalo robes if it got really cold back then!)...
Isn't that when you two rode around on the same bike wearing the goat skin thongs and the Viking helmets?
Si Paco, es Verdad; there's a photo of that somewhere here on our FJR Forum, I'll try and find the pic later!

At 150 miles per day I would pick the cheapest, sportiest bike. Any more bike and you'll be itching to keep riding every day. Get something that will give you a good workout. All the bikes are nice.

At 150 miles per day I would pick the cheapest, sportiest bike. Any more bike and you'll be itching to keep riding every day. Get something that will give you a good workout. All the bikes are nice.
If Bustanut joker, RadioHowie and BikerGeek99 go on our Alps Extreme Tour, I am going to recommend that they each ride a MENSTRUAL CYCLE! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Personally, I'd opt for the Triumph because I like its power delivery and sportiness.

I toured the Alps, including the Dolomites, several times in the '90s. The most popular rental then was the K75. I was late in reserving a rental one year and there were no K75s available. I rented a K100LT. Gotta say I had a blast on the LT. Comfort, power, and it was a peg scraping machine.

So, just saying, don't be concerned that the larger bikes are too big for the Alps.

Personally, I'd opt for the Triumph because I like its power delivery and sportiness.

I toured the Alps, including the Dolomites, several times in the '90s. The most popular rental then was the K75. I was late in reserving a rental one year and there were no K75s available. I rented a K100LT. Gotta say I had a blast on the LT. Comfort, power, and it was a peg scraping machine.

So, just saying, don't be concerned that the larger bikes are too big for the Alps.
https://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Rental.html Amen old Pilot, the K75 is still "The King Moto of the Alps" as far as I am concerned! Mein Freund Stefan Knopf, Owner of Motorrad Reisen, still has a fleet of a dozen K75's in all of the configurations: S, T, RT and C.

If Werner Wachter, Owner of Edelweiss Bike Travel, would make a K75 available to me for our Alps Extreme trip, I would rent it in an Owosso Fecking Michigan Minute!

I''ve gotten some good thoughts here, so thanks to all. I haven't received the form from the travel agent to make my bike selection (I'll send my deposit back with that form, but it'll be soon for sure, Don), but as of now, I'm definitely leaning toward the V-Strom or the Transalp. Need to try and get a look at those two bikes and try the ergos, etc. (But I suspect the Transalp won't be available around here--is that right?) By the way, I've been assured all the choices come with side, tail and tank bags.

Main reason is, I've already GOT a fun, powerful bike, and I've got great m/c roads in my own back yard. I'm really doing this tour to see the sights where we're going, more than for the thrill of test piloting some new hot motorcycle. Too bad I can't take the tour on my own bike, but that's not happening. I think carlson_mn put it pretty well (and others too), "all the bikes are nice." I'll enjoy the hell out of this trip no matter what I'm riding. Well, of the choices I have, at least. I'd hate to do it on a Huffy. Can't deny cost is another reason. It's not all THAT big of a difference, but I decided to ask myself, will I still enjoy the trip on a smaller bike? Well, sure. Maybe I'll use the savings to upgrade to a private room--the cost bump is only about the same as moving up one grade in motorcycle choices. After all, I don't want to share a room with some loud snoring, farting old codger who has to get up three or four times every night to pee? I just figured those guys wouldn't want to, either. :rolleyes:

I just had one question about one of the replies:

I rented a K100LT. Gotta say I had a blast on the LT. Comfort, power, and it was a peg scraping machine.
"Peg scraping?" I thought there WERE no "old, bold pilots?" :lol:

Interesting. The very few miles I put on the 800ST I didn't like it. IIRC, I did not like the position it put me in. Too much forward lean.
I'm with ScooterG. I rode the 800ST a few years ago and wasn't really impressed. I felt that it was uninspiring. Power was alright I guess, but a bit flat. Also it was a bit of a tight fit for me (I'm 6'2").

If it were me I'd pick the Tiger 800. OK I'm biased as I just bought one to replace my faithfull FJR that met and untimely end. This engine is amazing. Smooth and plenty of power. Not FJR fast but very entertaining. The riding position is open and comfortable. It does give a bit up in weather protection over the FJR or other sport touring bikes. If you're only doing 150 miles day that shouldn't be an issue. The clutch and transmission are light and the handling is just a thought. I doubt you would regret renting one.

I really hate to be the bearer of Bad News, but the Triumphs are already sold out for this trip. However, if there is enough interest from Alps Extreme Riders who really wanted to ride a Triumph: I will gladly send a letter off to Werner Wachter and Rainer Buck, they are #1 and #2 at Edelweiss Bike Travel, and press them hard to get more Triumphs made available to our group!

NOTE: Dave Cooley and Papa Chuy called Tracy Henry of Tri Community Travel and all of the BMW GS's have side bags and a top case. I feel for the Alps and Dolomites any of the BMW GS's will perform just as well as the Triumphs will!

Hi Tracy,

That's a little disappointing, given the amount of advance notice we are

giving and the fact that they scheduled our own tour date.

Does the F800GS have side bags & top case? What are their capacities?

Gary Miller

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:40 PM

To: profmil

Subject: Edelweiss Alps tour

Hi Gary,

I just wanted to let you know that currently you are confirmed on your

third choice bike, the F800GS, and wait listed for the two Triumphs. We

have a Triumph tour that is taking place the same time as your Alps tour

and the bikes are currently allocated for this. However as we get closer

to the tour start this could easily change.

Thank you,

Tracy

Tri-Community/Edelweiss

I just had one question about one of the replies:

I rented a K100LT. Gotta say I had a blast on the LT. Comfort, power, and it was a peg scraping machine.
"Peg scraping?" I thought there WERE no "old, bold pilots?" :lol:
That adage is for pussies. Pulling & pushing G's and doing inverted flat spins is my type of flying. :yahoo:

Wish I could join ya'll in the Alps. You're going to have a great time!

... the bigger bikes will add to the cost of the trip.
01_078.jpg

YSR-50! =]

I think I'd go with the weestrom.

Latest posts